Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#941 OFFLINE   wde00dbs

wde00dbs

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks rich584, dextxw and NaperDan for your prompt assistance.

NaperDan told me (in PM) that the formatting happens after the self test blue screens, only takes about 30 seconds, and then the boot goes on to the white screen satellite stuff. Since D* already forced me to the maintenance plan and told me the warranty had expired, I decided to crack open the case thinking I would peek inside to see how I could replace the original drive (as in other "irresponsible" forums). When the case came off, I found that the other end of the esata cable coming from the back panel WAS NOT CONNECTED to the motherboard!!!

Please disregard my previous post about the WD10EAVS and Antec MX1 not working. I now am running with a Seagae 1.5 TB FreeAgent Xtream. It formatted just as you guys said it would. No recordings made or played yet but don't anticipate any problems. :):):)

P.S. I wonder how many other HR20 problems this could explain? I had never done anything to my 700 so assume either SATA was never connected or came off during shipping. It went on with minimal force. Note the motherboard has a SATA (not eSATA) connector on it. This is somewhat viewable through the top cooling slots too.
Again thanks guys!!!
D* since they opened shop ...
Slim style AT9 Dish
HR20-700->Slingbox->RPbPr->Panasonic PT-52LCX66
(with broken Seagate 1.5 Xtreme external drive)
HR21 -> HDMI -> Same TV
H20-->Component-->Olevia LT23HVX

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#942 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks rich584, dextxw and NaperDan for your prompt assistance.

You're welcome.

P.S. I wonder how many other HR20 problems this could explain? I had never done anything to my 700 so assume either SATA was never connected or came off during shipping. It went on with minimal force. Note the motherboard has a SATA (not eSATA) connector on it. This is somewhat viewable through the top cooling slots too.
Again thanks guys!!!

You'd be amazed at how many things can go wrong and do. I've had several 20-700 replacements that wouldn't do anything when plugged in. I finally bought an "owned" 20-700 and when I took it apart to put in a larger internal drive, lo and behold, there was a fuse in it. You'd think a design engineer would have put the fuse in a fuse holder that could be accessed from the back of the set. Many makers of AV units do just that. All those sets that wouldn't do anything when plugged in were "refurbished".

Wouldn't you think the last step in a refurbishing process would be to test the set? I could sit here and type for a couple hours and list the problems with HRs I've received that were purportedly "refurbished", but I'm sure you get the idea. Refurbishing is done by a contractor, not D* itself and they do little but repack the units and reship them, as far as I can tell.

Rich

#943 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Here's a link to another esata drive/enclosure to add to the compatibilty list.

The bundle is a 1TB eSATA Seagate 7200.11 HDD and an Ultra eSTAT/USB enclosure. I paid $137, including shipping.

I had the HDD into the case, buttoned up, and ready to go in about 10 minutes minutes (five of which were hacking my way through the cryptonite plastic packing the drive). Then I:

1. Unplugged off my HR20-700
2. Plugged in the Seagate via the eSATA cable provided with the enclosure
3. Plugged in the power brick to the enclosure and hit the ON switch
4. Waited a few seconds for the drive to come up to speed
5. Plugged in my HR20
6. Got the message from HR20 that it was formatting drive.
7. After formatting, the HR20 proceeded as with a normal reset.
8. I recorded the final 15 minutes of a random show; it showed up in the List.
9. I again power-cycled the HR20.
10. The reset was uneventful and unremarkable, and the show recorded in step 8 was still in the list.
11. I'm now waiting for the Guide to populate so I can setup some auto-records.

The enclosure comes with everything you could possible want: both and eSTATA and a USB cable, a PC slot cover plate with an outward-facing eSATA jack an an inward-facing pigtail connector to run to your PC's on-board eSATA plug.

P.S.

Followups:

Fan/HDD noise:

I keep my electronics in my garage, against a wall shared with my entertainment system. So I don't hear it at all. After I assembled the drive/case on my workbench, I briefly plugged it to make certain that both the fan and HDD were working. Not surprisingly, the fan noise masked the HDD noise--small fans must run faster than large ones for the same amount of cooling, so you'll have a noise problem with any of the fan-cooled externals.

So, if your equipment is external or enclosed, the noise should be negligible. If your equipment is in the same room with your TV and is not enclosed in a cabinet, then I'll guess that the noise would be excessive unless you leave the top off the enclosure and unplug the fan.

HR10-250, HR20-100 (0x0312), HR21-700 (0x0290)
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#944 OFFLINE   Sinhbin

Sinhbin

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

My HD-DVR - HR21P-200 is working perfectly so far with a WD 1TB "My DVR Expander" external drive. :hurah:

#945 OFFLINE   Volunteer

Volunteer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:26 AM

Does anybody care to comment on the rotational speed preference ... 5400, 7200, variable/green?

Do any of these drive rotational speeds work equally well in the HRxx's either as an internal drive or an eSata drive?

Samsung 55" LCD
Samsung 50" DLP

Vizio 37" LCD
2-HR20-700/ w/ 2TB eSata
1-HR44-500 w/ 2TB eSata
SWM16
5-LNB Dish

#946 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Does anybody care to comment on the rotational speed preference ... 5400, 7200, variable/green?

Do any of these drive rotational speeds work equally well in the HRxx's either as an internal drive or an eSATA drive?

Yes. More important is if the disk/box/chip could successfully negotiate at 1.5 Gbps speed between all components in the chain.

#947 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Do any of these drive rotational speeds work equally well in the HRxx's either as an internal drive or an eSata drive?

I'd go with the 7200 speed, but the slower speed drives will work too. Apparently, the "green" drives are more for computers than for DVRs which are always running.

Rich

#948 OFFLINE   wde00dbs

wde00dbs

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

I am happy as a clam :) with my (finally) successful add of 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme. No troubles either making or playing recordings thus far.

What I have noticed is that the 30 second skip takes about 3 seconds now and was close to 1 second when using my HR20-700 internal drive.
With the internal drive I was never able to see the "30 sec" skip message come up on my screen before the skip completed and now I can.
On the other hand, I can see more of what I am skipping so can go back if want to view skipped over material.

Other actions seem a bit slower but don't ask me by how much.
Comments??
D* since they opened shop ...
Slim style AT9 Dish
HR20-700->Slingbox->RPbPr->Panasonic PT-52LCX66
(with broken Seagate 1.5 Xtreme external drive)
HR21 -> HDMI -> Same TV
H20-->Component-->Olevia LT23HVX

#949 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

I am happy as a clam :) with my (finally) successful add of 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme. No troubles either making or playing recordings thus far.

What I have noticed is that the 30 second skip takes about 3 seconds now and was close to 1 second when using my HR20-700 internal drive.
With the internal drive I was never able to see the "30 sec" skip message come up on my screen before the skip completed and now I can.
On the other hand, I can see more of what I am skipping so can go back if want to view skipped over material.

Comments??

Haven't tried the skip in a long time. Got used to the slip and when I tried the skip, I went right back to the slip. Less info missed.

Adding an eSATA is just another thing the HR has to deal with so you will notice a couple two, three things a tad slower, but you'll quickly get used to it.

Rich

#950 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Comments??

Are you sure that you're using 30SKIP instead of 30SLIP?
SLIP is the default and is what you're using unless you changed it.
My SKIP using eSATA is virtually instantaneous.
Maybe for grins you could re-enter the "30SKIP" keyword search and see if there is any change.

If you didn't already know about the tips thread:
Undocumented HD-DVR+ Tips & Tricks

Edited by dettxw, 11 August 2009 - 02:54 PM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#951 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

Are you sure that your using 30SKIP instead of 30SLIP?
SLIP is the default and is what you're using unless you changed it.
Maybe for grins you could re-enter the "30SKIP" keyword search and see if there is any change.

If you didn't already know about the tips thread:
Undocumented HD-DVR+ Tips & Tricks

Oh, I never considered that. I do believe you nailed it. :lol:

Rich

#952 OFFLINE   ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Same here.

#953 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

Rich, I am down to 9% on my HR23-700 with the 2TB Drive and I am not Slowing Down and in fact after the last several Releases I have actually speeded up so I am an Happy Camper and still enjoying MRV as I haven't upgraded lately to the latest Releases.

#954 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

Rich, I am down to 9% on my HR23-700 with the 2TB Drive and I am not Slowing Down and in fact after the last several Releases I have actually speeded up so I am an Happy Camper and still enjoying MRV as I haven't upgraded lately to the latest Releases.

Where have you been? I thought you quit or died. (Either way, nobody tells us.) I was just gonna send you a PM. Glad it's still working and not bogging down. That answers a lot of questions.

Oh, I'm also glad you're alive and still with us. :lol:

Rich

#955 OFFLINE   MSNFlier

MSNFlier

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

My SO is leaving tomorrow on TDY for over three months where she'll have zero time to do much of anything besides go to class, study, work out and sleep. She enjoys her various shows but also knew that there was no way our HR21-700 had enough capacity to record all the "first run" episodes this fall.

Well, her brilliant man (that would be me) had JUST the answer, thanks to everyone's efforts here documenting which HDDs and enclosures seem to be compatible with our system, etc. Thanks for making me look good!!! Now, here's hoping that the set-up I installed yesterday doesn't melt down while she's gone and lose all her recordings. THAT would make me look quite bad, but I'm an optimist so hopefully I'll luck-out.

FWIW, I installed a 2TB WD Caviar Green WD20000CSRTL and Antex MX-1. I know just enough about computers and hardware to be dangerous, but it was an easy 15-20 minute install from opening the boxes through powering everything up.

One thing that's a bit odd (in my experience) is that the guide seems to be taking forever to load. I'm planning to leave the box on all day today so hopefully that will help (shouldn't the guide download while the box is "off" as it was overnight?).

Thanks again!

Edited by MSNFlier, 14 August 2009 - 02:27 PM.

#956 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

There is info about populating guide during next 24 hours on one of receiver's help pages .

#957 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

My SO is leaving tomorrow on TDY for over three months where she'll have zero time to do much of anything besides go to class, study, work out and sleep. She enjoys her various shows but also knew that there was no way our HR21-700 had enough capacity to record all the "first run" episodes this fall.

Well, her brilliant man (that would be me) had JUST the answer, thanks to everyone's efforts here documenting which HDDs and enclosures seem to be compatible with our system, etc. Thanks for making me look good!!! Now, here's hoping that the set-up I installed yesterday doesn't melt down while she's gone and lose all her recordings. THAT would make me look quite bad, but I'm an optimist so hopefully I'll luck-out.

FWIW, I installed a 2TB WD Caviar Green WD20000CSRTL and Antex MX-1. I know just enough about computers and hardware to be dangerous, but it was an easy 15-20 minute install from opening the boxes through powering everything up.

One thing that's a bit odd (in my experience) is that the guide seems to be taking forever to load. I'm planning to leave the box on all day today so hopefully that will help (shouldn't the guide download while the box is "off" as it was overnight?).

Thanks again!

That slow guide loading is normal. You shouldn't have to go thru that again. Yes, the guide will load whether you are "on" or in "standby". There is no such thing as "off" unless you pull the plug.

Rich

#958 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

Has anyone every used the Fantom eSATA drive on their HR2x? Made by Micronet and on sale at Buy.com this week.

I'm picking up two, one for my Cablevision DVR and the other to play with on one of my HR2x DVRs, and it if doesn't work, I have some extra general purpose storage.

#959 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Has anyone every used the Fantom eSATA drive on their HR2x? Made by Micronet and on sale at Buy.com this week.

I'm picking up two, one for my Cablevision DVR and the other to play with on one of my HR2x DVRs, and it if doesn't work, I have some extra general purpose storage.

Never tried one. Probably will work on your 20-700s.

Rich

#960 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

I have a Directv 21-700 that has a SATA & USB external ports on the back panel. I want to buy a HR23 receiver in addition to this one. I undersatnd that the back panel of the HR23 has a eSata & USB ports. Is this true?? Next I want to expand the internal hard drive of both units with an external enclosed HDD. Should the external enclosure have a built-in fan?? Does the external HDD stay on all the time even when you shut off the receiver? How hot does the unit get.? I have viewed so many external closures on New Egg & E-bay I am getting dizzy. I want to put together a 750GB to 1TB Sata HDD with an enclosure that works with my Directv HD DVR's. Should the enclosure have eSata external output?? I guess I will need an adapter or an adapter cable from eSata to SATA for HR21-700 receiver. I am a newbie to this forum site but I have mid-level tech knowledge about computers and Home theatre components. I am trying to learn about expanding my Directv recording capacities. I hope I posted this message in the right area. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!!!

spam firewall