Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1001 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

I have a Sony Blu-Ray Player (BDP-S301) and there is no USB or ETHERNET connection in the back of the unit.

On the Linksys WGA600N, do I have to run the installation CD on my computer?? I have a Linksys Router and Cable Modem. I thought all you had to do is run the connection setup in the Network of the H21-700?

You will likely get better answers by starting a new thread for these questions, as this is a thread about eSATA drives. There is a Tech forum here that may be a good candidate.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1002 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thank you, Drew. If this thread continues off topic I will have no choice but to close it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#1003 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thank you, Drew. If this thread continues off topic I will have no choice but to close it.

I'll go to PM and get him straightened out.

Rich

#1004 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I was on the Directv web site. http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P5980155

This is what Directv recommends for esata setups. They post this info on their web site but it comes with a disclaimer:

Please note: We offer this tip because we want to help you get the most out of your DIRECTV experience. It is recommended for advanced users who are comfortable working with electronic hardware. This modification of your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV.

They do offer some hard drive choices, I guess they have tested, but they make no mention on enclosures.

I found this info very interesting because if you call them they won't even talk about expanding the HD capacity.

#1005 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I was on the Directv web site. http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P5980155

This is what Directv recommends for esata setups. They post this info on their web site but it comes with a disclaimer:

Please note: We offer this tip because we want to help you get the most out of your DIRECTV experience. It is recommended for advanced users who are comfortable working with electronic hardware. This modification of your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV.

They do offer some hard drive choices, I guess they have tested, but they make no mention on enclosures.

We know what works, the Antec MX-1 is the enclosure of choice for most of us. Works with bare SATA drives up to 2TBs. Easy to put together.

I found this info very interesting because if you call them they won't even talk about expanding the HD capacity.

D* doesn't "support" the eSATAs. They were nice enough to suggest a couple that should work, but they are only 1TB at best and that is too small for serious recording and backing up.

Rich

#1006 OFFLINE   Bruiser616

Bruiser616

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I am looking to add an external hardrive to my HR21-200. After looking through these forums and others I am going with the Antec MX-1 enclosure.

I've had good luck with Seagate hard drives so I want to get the 1.5 TB or 2 TB. My problem is I don't know a lot about hard drives and don't want to get the wrong one.

I'm looking at the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST31500341AS or the Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB SATA 3Gb/s 32 Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST32000542AS. With the 2 TB drive I don't know what the LP designation means but it isn't on the 1.5 TB.

Does anyone have any info on these drives and possibly a recommendation on either?

I figure getting the 2 TB is the way to go. I just want to make sure it will work.

#1007 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

The HR21-200 is not a DVR. Did you mean the HR21-700??

#1008 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hello, I am a new member too. 2 weeks now and I love it. If you go back and read about 2 or 3 pages above me you will see I was infommed that a Seagate or WD would work best with the MX-1. I am only going to get a 1.5 TB with whichever is on the sale at the time.

#1009 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hello, I am a new member too.

Really ? Check again ;)

#1010 OFFLINE   Bruiser616

Bruiser616

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

http:// hr20.dbstalk.com/hr21_200_first_look.pdf

Strangely enough it came after the 700.

Google told me so it must be so!

#1011 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Sorry about that, I have a H21-200 that I m sending back this week. It is not a DVR. I replaced it with a HR23-700. I got it confused with the HR21-200

#1012 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

http:// hr20.dbstalk.com/hr21_200_first_look.pdf

Strangely enough it came after the 700.

Google told me so it must be so!

200, 700, those have nothing to do with age of the box, its the manufacturer's code, one is Pace, I don't know what the other is, maybe Samsung..

#1013 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

200, 700, those have nothing to do with age of the box, its the manufacturer's code, one is Pace, I don't know what the other is, maybe Samsung..

The decoding table been posted a few times here. No need to guess, just search and read it.

#1014 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

The decoding table been posted a few times here. No need to guess, just search and read it.

I don't care what they are, the poster that I was replying to wondered why the 200 was a "newer" model than the 700, I gave him the answer to that...he can look up the manufacturer's codes if he wants, or you could have been nice enough to link to the thread instead of responding in a rude fashion to my post.
:nono2:

#1015 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

It wasn't rude at all, just polite reminder to use internal resources on the site. [Tons of them]. Finding that posts would easy for everyone who try to provide facts.

#1016 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

It's Samsung.

Rich

#1017 OFFLINE   RadOD

RadOD

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

My Seagate/MX-1 combo on a HR21-100 has been crashing once a week or so. I did a lot of research here before buying an MX-1 with a Seagate (Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB) and I haven't seen any similar problems. Installation couldn't have gone easier. But after about a week the DVR froze for a few minutes then rebooted. Upon restart the drive was blank with no recordings and nothing in the prioritizer. It was as if I just inserted a blank new drive. About a week later the same thing happened again. In the interval it has been working flawlessly.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem?

#1018 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

My Seagate/MX-1 combo on a HR21-100 has been crashing once a week or so. I did a lot of research here before buying an MX-1 with a Seagate (Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB) and I haven't seen any similar problems. Installation couldn't have gone easier. But after about a week the DVR froze for a few minutes then rebooted. Upon restart the drive was blank with no recordings and nothing in the prioritizer. It was as if I just inserted a blank new drive. About a week later the same thing happened again. In the interval it has been working flawlessly.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem?

Can only be one of three things, as I'm sure you've figured out by now. Simplest thing to replace is the MX-1, even tho we've only had a couple of negative posts about them, it might be that. Send it back and get a new one. While you're at it, send the Seagate HDD back and get another one. The only thing left is the 21-100, which might well have a compatibility problem with the HDD or the MX-1.

The HR is probably the weak link in the chain. Everyone should have an idea of what I think of the 100 series of HRs, by now. Put that Antec and Seagate on a 700 and I'd be willing to bet it would work. Mine do with the same HDDs in the same Antecs. All my 700s have eSATAs or internal drives that are Seagates except for two Cavalry eSATAs and I have no problem with either brand of eSATA.

If the thing is rebooting, I'd really suspect the 21-700. I've never seen an HDD cause a reboot, never seen an eSATA cause a reboot. I've seen plenty of HRs reboot for no obvious reason.

Just my opinions. Do you have another HR that you can put the Antec on? If it works on a different HR (hopefully a 700), the problem must lie in the 21-100, I would think.

Rich

#1019 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

What about testing the disk by manufacturer's utility? And reading DVR's logs from the disk ?
Check also if ST31500341AS could be set by jumper to SATA-1 (150) speed as MX-1 desn't support SATA-2 (300) speed.

#1020 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi,
I need help right away. I just hooked up a Western Digital esata DRV expander 1TB Model WDG1S1000 to my DirecTV DVR HR20-700. I had at least 20 recording on there when I did it. I followed all the instructions and not where it the instructions for the DVR expander did it say I would lose my recordings.

I powered my HR20-700 back up and all my recordings are gone and it says 100% capacity.

Can someone that is more knowledgable than me help me? I want to get my recordings back.......is there anything I can do or are they there and I just do not how to access them in the list.

I can't believe this, I would never have gotten this if I knew it would not work and keep my present recordings.

How do I know that it is even working or not? As far as I can tell with my recording gone......all it did was delete them. Is there anyway to check to see if it is actually increased my recording space.

I appreciate anybody's help. :)

spam firewall