Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1021 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

I am not an expert but from what I have been reading your previous recordings are not lost. They are on the original HDD in your DVR. When you connected your esata DVR expander it became the primary. If you disconnect the expander then the DVR will go back to using the original HD in the DVR. You can not watch both at the same time.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1022 OFFLINE   mjm76

mjm76

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

Timewarpone,
Thanks for the info. I had done some more research since I posted this and I was thinking the same thing that you just said.

Do you know, can I just unplug the DVR expander or do I need to go through the unplugging of my HD DVR and the DVR expander to regain my recordings?

Thanks again for your quick response. I was worried that I had done something really wrong and lost all my recordings.

#1023 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

Just unplug the DVR before adding or removing the expander

#1024 OFFLINE   Timewarpone

Timewarpone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

When you remove the expander you will be able to view your previous recordings that were on the DVR. Sounds like a big hassle. I wish Directv were up to speed with the DVR industry. You can now record up to 4 channels and watch your recordings in another room.

#1025 OFFLINE   Bruiser616

Bruiser616

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

I installed the Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB SATA 3Gb/s 32 Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST32000542AS in the Antec MX-1 enclosure. After a second restart everything went great. I recorded 4 hours of HD programming on both tuners and all is well with playback and record.

But, my program guide isn't receiving data so I can't set anything up. Across the spectrum of channels there are a few that show up but the local channels are nil. Is this my HR21-200 having a problem or is it the Seagate?

Thanks!

#1026 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

Wait overnight, that's DTV recommendation.

#1027 OFFLINE   Bruiser616

Bruiser616

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

I restarted via the red button and the guide started populating after it was back up.

This setup is sweet!

The remote is a little sluggish for quick touches such as going to 3X speed for fast forward. The second and third push of the button don't seem to get picked up as fast as they used to.

#1028 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

I restarted via the red button and the guide started populating after it was back up.

This setup is sweet!

The remote is a little sluggish for quick touches such as going to 3X speed for fast forward. The second and third push of the button don't seem to get picked up as fast as they used to.

The speed should pick up as you get more programs recorded and will slow down noticeably when you reach the 20-30% Available mark. When that happens, reboot the HR and it should be faster.

Rich

#1029 OFFLINE   RadOD

RadOD

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Can only be one of three things, as I'm sure you've figured out by now. Simplest thing to replace is the MX-1, even tho we've only had a couple of negative posts about them, it might be that. Send it back and get a new one. While you're at it, send the Seagate HDD back and get another one. The only thing left is the 21-100, which might well have a compatibility problem with the HDD or the MX-1.

The HR is probably the weak link in the chain. Everyone should have an idea of what I think of the 100 series of HRs, by now. Put that Antec and Seagate on a 700 and I'd be willing to bet it would work. Mine do with the same HDDs in the same Antecs. All my 700s have eSATAs or internal drives that are Seagates except for two Cavalry eSATAs and I have no problem with either brand of eSATA.

If the thing is rebooting, I'd really suspect the 21-700. I've never seen an HDD cause a reboot, never seen an eSATA cause a reboot. I've seen plenty of HRs reboot for no obvious reason.

Just my opinions. Do you have another HR that you can put the Antec on? If it works on a different HR (hopefully a 700), the problem must lie in the 21-100, I would think.

Rich

You were exactly right.

If anyone else ever has this problem: I took the MX-1 off the 21-100 and put it on my 20-100 and no problems for 2 weeks now.

#1030 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

You were exactly right.

Glad your problem is solved. Glad it wasn't the MX-1, that would have rocked my world. :lol:

Rich

#1031 OFFLINE   plewis

plewis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the conversations and recommendations. I've had 3 HR20-700 machines since they first came out. And, they're all still working well. Sometimes a guy gets lucky. I've been working with eSata external hard drives on all of them in different configurations. I started when the HDDs were so small that a dual drive enclosure was the only real option to get a decent upgrade in memory. I've had good success with the old THECUS dual drive enclosure. Now, I see an opportunity to get some 4 bay enclosures and use the new 2TB drives for an 8TB RAID-0 configuration. Question, does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of HD that the HR20-700 will be able to read/write on? I set up my THECUS dual drive with 2 2TB WD Greens and it doesn't seem to get the memory that I was expecting. So, I was wondering if it had a "governor" of sorts that limits what it will read and write on. Any info on this?

Thanks again for all the good content.

#1032 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the conversations and recommendations. I've had 3 HR20-700 machines since they first came out. And, they're all still working well. Sometimes a guy gets lucky. I've been working with eSata external hard drives on all of them in different configurations. I started when the HDDs were so small that a dual drive enclosure was the only real option to get a decent upgrade in memory. I've had good success with the old THECUS dual drive enclosure. Now, I see an opportunity to get some 4 bay enclosures and use the new 2TB drives for an 8TB RAID-0 configuration. Question, does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of HD that the HR20-700 will be able to read/write on? I set up my THECUS dual drive with 2 2TB WD Greens and it doesn't seem to get the memory that I was expecting. So, I was wondering if it had a "governor" of sorts that limits what it will read and write on. Any info on this?

The current limit appears to be 2TB so there is no advantage to a 2-2TB RAID 0 setups, as it only can see 2TB. There is an advantage to a 2-2TB mirror setup, for data backup only.

#1033 OFFLINE   plewis

plewis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

The current limit appears to be 2TB so there is no advantage to a 2-2TB RAID 0 setups, as it only can see 2TB. There is an advantage to a 2-2TB mirror setup, for data backup only.

Perfect, that's what it was looking like to me. Thanks so much for your info!
Cheers

#1034 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

I had a 2TB Cavalry that the last NR destroyed. Last year I filled it up completely and I swear I could have put more on it. Don't know for sure, but it sure seemed like it would take more programs. I'd really like to know if a RAID with more capacity, say 3TB, will work without harming a 20-700.

By the way, I bought two Calvary RAID eSATAs set to "full" by Cavalry so that I could get the full 2TB capacity out of them. There weren't any 2TB bare SATA drives available at the time. One of the Cavalrys lasted three months and the other lasted 14 months. Was working fine until the last NR. I'm kinda leery about RAID boxes now. But, they were Cavalrys, not the best of the eSATAs or RAID enclosures. I'm willing to change my mind on the whole RAID thing.

Rich

#1035 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

Rich, my RAID Enclosure is still working Flawlessly with of course just a 2 TB Drives in it but mirroring each other.

#1036 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Rich, my RAID Enclosure is still working Flawlessly with of course just a 2 TB Drives in it but mirroring each other.

Mine was working flawlessly until that NR destroyed it. Baffles me that nobody else sees that destroying an HDD of any sort without notice is just wrong.

What kind of enclosure are you using?

Rich

#1037 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

I am using the AMS DS3RPRO RAID Enclosure with 2 1TB Drives running RAID-1 so that one drive mirrors the other and I lost nothing if one of my drives fail.

Do a Search on that and you will find my dissertions on it and some comments that you made at the time about my success in using this Enclosure.

Just got the latest download on the 22nd of September and it is working Great and Fast!!!

Edited by Richierich, 25 September 2009 - 11:48 AM.

#1038 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Yes I mean RAID 1!!! Sorry about that Brain Fart!!! I am getting older than dirt!!! LOL!!!

Edited by Richierich, 25 September 2009 - 11:48 AM.

#1039 OFFLINE   jamtwo

jamtwo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

HR23-700 with WD 1Tb My DVR Expander WDG1S10000.

Caution Note:

The cable that ships with the drive will not work with the DVR.

You must purchase a Siig Esata cable in addition to the drive.

Neither WD nor D* support the drive on the D* system.

#1040 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

HR23-700 with WD 1Tb My DVR Expander WDG1S10000.

Caution Note:

The cable that ships with the drive will not work with the DVR.

You must purchase a Siig Esata cable in addition to the drive.

Neither WD nor D* support the drive on the D* system.

That's odd. I've never had an eSATA to eSATA cable that didn't work. Read about some in posts, but I've had a lot of eSATAs and they all worked with any cable. I've always recommended the SIIGs to people who had problems with theirs. They always seem to work. Do you know if that cable problem is just with the 23s?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...