Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   PersistenceOfVision

PersistenceOfVision

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

Antec MX-1 + Segate Baracuda 1TB Drive works like a charm on my reconditioned HR20-700 I just received to replace a failing HR20-100 (drive never attached)

UPDATE: Antec MX-1's power connection sucks! I have had the connection work, then back out just slightly (enough to power down the drive!) and the LED on the power supply flickers as if it's being shorted/over loaded.... Ouch!

Edited by PersistenceOfVision, 14 October 2009 - 06:17 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   PersistenceOfVision

PersistenceOfVision

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

That's odd. I've never had an eSATA to eSATA cable that didn't work. Read about some in posts, but I've had a lot of eSATAs and they all worked with any cable. I've always recommended the SIIGs to people who had problems with theirs. They always seem to work. Do you know if that cable problem is just with the 23s?

Rich

I agree with Rich, a digital cable is a digital cable. Either it works or it's broken. Granted there are different "quality levels" of digital cables... You should really only need a special cable for special situations (long cable runs, possibly "noisy" areas (electrical noise) etc...

But the build quality from different mfg can vary...
Hope you got it fixed!

#1043 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Antec MX-1 + Segate Baracuda 1TB Drive works like a charm on my reconditioned HR20-700 I just received to replace a failing HR20-100 (drive never attached)

Lucky you. You just got the best of the HRs. Congrats!

Rich

#1044 OFFLINE   FranklyFred

FranklyFred

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

HR-20 100 with freeagent xtreme 1TB worked fine then it got unplugged and now can not get the drive to go. Plug it in starts spinning no light comes on, plug in HR will not come up. Plugged drive in laptop it lite up. Do I Need to reformat the drive?

#1045 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

HR-20 100 with freeagent xtreme 1TB worked fine then it got unplugged and now can not get the drive to go. Plug it in starts spinning no light comes on, plug in HR will not come up. Plugged drive in laptop it lite up. Do I Need to reformat the drive?

Never had an Xtreme fail on me. Try unplugging both, leaving the eSATA jumper plugged in, for a couple hours? Might work. If not, call Seagate, they will replace your Xtreme, they come with a 5 year warranty.

Rich

#1046 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

Did a search and didn't see this mentioned - I'm now using a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA/USB dock (ST0005U) with a WD 1 TB Green Power drive on an HR20-700 and an HR21-100. No fan and the drive is "naked" but it's all working great and the drives are fairly cool to the touch.

Posted Image

Switched over from Antec MX-1 enclosures when the fan on one of mine starting screaming.

Just an FYI - I have the same combo working just fine, as of today, on my HR21-700 after the internal drive died last weekend.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#1047 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

I just put a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green HDD in a an Antec MX-1 and hooked the thing up to a 20-700 and it wouldn't work properly. First time I tried the Antec with a 20-700, but I've used it successfully on a couple of 21s and I think it should work with a 20-700. Replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda and it's fine.

Rich

#1048 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

I just put a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green HDD in a an Antec MX-1 and hooked the thing up to a 20-700 and it wouldn't work properly. First time I tried the Antec with a 20-700, but I've used it successfully on a couple of 21s and I think it should work with a 20-700. Replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda and it's fine.

Rich

I've got exactly this combo on a 20-700 and it works perfectly. if you put the Seagate drive in the same enclosure it sounds like you got a bad drive.

#1049 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've got exactly this combo on a 20-700 and it works perfectly. if you put the Seagate drive in the same enclosure it sounds like you got a bad drive.

That's what is sounds like to me. I knew other members had posted that the setup worked for them.

Unfortunately, I bought it at a site that I really don't trust, and I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to take it back. I sent a letter in the box that explained the problems and if that doesn't work...

Shoulda just bought the Cuda right off the bat, but I wanted to try the WD drive. Just my luck. :confused:

Rich

#1050 OFFLINE   skunkiechris

skunkiechris

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Rich

What problem specifically were you having? I just hooked the same combo up to my 20-700..it works fine on live TV, but only for a short time on recorded programs before it starts to stutter and freeze. This replaced an old drive, which was copied to this new one when it started having problems. I'm trying to figure out if the HR doesn't like the WD drive, if there was some type of corruption I've copied over, or if it's just a bad drive. I know a clear everything will certainly help tell, I just was trying to hold off doing so until I had a pretty good idea if it was one or the other. I've read so many success stories with the WD Green Drives it seems odd that the HR just wouldn't like it...

#1051 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

You could 'extort' test - clean your new disk and begin use use it, see if the symptoms will comes up after certain amount of data recorded.

#1052 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

What problem specifically were you having? I just hooked the same combo up to my 20-700..it works fine on live TV, but only for a short time on recorded programs before it starts to stutter and freeze. This replaced an old drive, which was copied to this new one when it started having problems. I'm trying to figure out if the HR doesn't like the WD drive, if there was some type of corruption I've copied over, or if it's just a bad drive. I know a clear everything will certainly help tell, I just was trying to hold off doing so until I had a pretty good idea if it was one or the other. I've read so many success stories with the WD Green Drives it seems odd that the HR just wouldn't like it...

Mine did the same thing. CCarncross has the same setup identically and his works. I sent the WD drive back and it was bad. I replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda and that works fine.

I bought the WD from Buy.com and their return policy flatly states that if you send a working device back and they find it to be in proper operating condition, they will send it back and not refund your money or credit you with the cost of the device. So, I guess they checked it and it checked out bad. Got my money back.

For all the success stories you and I have read about the WD Green drives, I really haven't had a lot of success with WD drives over the years and I much prefer the Seagates. I just bought the WD on a whim. And, naturally, I got a bad one. And one's enough for me.

Rich

#1053 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

So what's the current thinking on the best RAID 1 capable enclosure? (BTW, this thread has gotten very long and full of tangents!)

Thanks to advice in this thread I went with a Sans Digital MS2UT a couple of years ago. It's been ok. Unfortunately, with the problems in the previous NR I foolishly upgraded it's firmware (from V.36.B0B to V.36.B0F). Of course this didn't fix the problem but it did disable the speed-controlling of the fans. It now runs the fans at full speed all the time.

Needless to say it went from a marginally acceptable noise in my living room to an unacceptable noise.

I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks to get a decent enclosure. Even one with more than 2 bays if necessary.

Any suggestions?

The Sans Digital MR4UT / Areca ARC-5020 looks interesting. It would be cool to have ethernet management and SNMP alerts. But ~$500 without drives gives me pause!

#1054 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

So what's the current thinking on the best RAID 1 capable enclosure? (BTW, this thread has gotten very long and full of tangents!)

Thanks to advice in this thread I went with a Sans Digital MS2UT a couple of years ago. It's been ok. Unfortunately, with the problems in the previous NR I foolishly upgraded it's firmware (from V.36.B0B to V.36.B0F). Of course this didn't fix the problem but it did disable the speed-controlling of the fans. It now runs the fans at full speed all the time.

Needless to say it went from a marginally acceptable noise in my living room to an unacceptable noise.

I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks to get a decent enclosure. Even one with more than 2 bays if necessary.

Any suggestions?

The Sans Digital MR4UT / Areca ARC-5020 looks interesting. It would be cool to have ethernet management and SNMP alerts. But ~$500 without drives gives me pause!

Can you put the enclosure in another room and buy a longer jumper cable for it? I had to do that with the one RAID enclosure that I used because of the fan noise. Just a matter of drilling a hole thru the wall and fishing the jumper cable thru the wall. There is no need to have the enclosure in the same room.

I realize that some houses may not be configured in such a way that permits you to do this, but I was fortunate enough to be able to put mine in a large room that absorbed the very annoying fan noise. I have two Seagate Xtremes in that room now. Even tho they don't have fans, they make a loud whooshing noise that is very annoying.

Rich

#1055 OFFLINE   Learning the ropes

Learning the ropes

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

I have been reading through this forum and some of the others extensively. I still don't know what the best eSata setup seems to be. Everyone seems to be a fan of the Antec MX-1 enclosure. I can't seem to get a handle of which drives of the best. Some like the Seagates, others the WD. I also can't figure out what the correct drive speed is.

The WD Green drives don't even have a stated drive speed, while some of the Seagate models are 5400 and others are 7200. They also have different Cache sizes. Does any of this matter for an HD DVR external drive?

I was looking for a 2TB drive, but when I looked at the WD Green drives, it deems seem worth the price to upgrade from a 1.5 TB model. Price difference was around $90.

I really want ease of use and the highest reliability. Reasonable cost wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Thanks.

#1056 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

I have the WD20EADS and several WD10EADS hard drives I use both Internally and Externally in an eSATA Drive and they work Flawlessly!!!

They are Variable Speed and ramp up from 5400 RPMs to 7200 RPMs depending upon the Speed needed for the particular situation. You can read about it on the WD Website.

Newegg.com and Buy.com are two great places to buy drives cheaply.

#1057 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

I have been reading through this forum and some of the others extensively. I still don't know what the best eSata setup seems to be. Everyone seems to be a fan of the Antec MX-1 enclosure. I can't seem to get a handle of which drives of the best. Some like the Seagates, others the WD. I also can't figure out what the correct drive speed is.

Doesn't really matter, the WD EADs work well and the Seagates work well. With the Seagates you'll want the 7200 RPM drives.

The WD Green drives don't even have a stated drive speed, while some of the Seagate models are 5400 and others are 7200. They also have different Cache sizes. Does any of this matter for an HD DVR external drive?

I wouldn't buy the Seagate drives that aren't 7200 RPMs. From what I've read, the slower ones make a lot of noise. I use the Seagate 7200s and have had no problems with them and the MX-1s. Get the ones with the cache size of 32.

I was looking for a 2TB drive, but when I looked at the WD Green drives, it deems seem worth the price to upgrade from a 1.5 TB model. Price difference was around $90.

That really depends on how many HRs you have. If you have one or two, go with the 2TB size. I have ten and I use the 1.5s. Cheaper and not really that much difference in capacity. I wouldn't buy a Seagate 2TB right now.

I really want ease of use and the highest reliability. Reasonable cost wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Again, that depends on how many HRs you've got. You can get the WD 2TB for $179 or less at most sites, that's really a good price considering that they were $300 at this time last year.

Rich

#1058 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

Yes, I paid over $300 for my 2 TB WD20EADS Drive last year bein the First Person to buy that particular hard drive but I paid Dearly for it. It's Expensive when you live on the Bleeding Edge of Technology!!! :lol:

#1059 OFFLINE   Learning the ropes

Learning the ropes

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

Amazon now has the WD10EADS for USD 69.99 with free shipping. Not sure you can beat that.

Thanks everyone.

I decided to go with the WD15EADS earlier in the week. Paid USD 109.99 with free shipping. Amazon was also the least expensive on the Antec MX-1 at USD 39.99. At that price you can get a 1TB upgrade for only USD 110. Not a bad deal.

#1060 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

So what's the current thinking on the best RAID 1 capable enclosure?

I installed a CalDigit VR (http://www.caldigit.com) yesterday. So far it is working perfectly.

This is definitely a significant improvement in quality relative to the MS2UT. Much quieter. Heavy duty construction. While the MS2UT had a high probability of claiming one of the drives was bad on power-up (when it wasn't), this unit seems to be rock-solid. I got mine at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

The only negative I can see so far is that it is not available without drives so it would be more expensive to replace the drives with DVR-optimized drives. Only time will tell if that will be necessary.

spam firewall