Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Live4Soccer

Live4Soccer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

I've been running one Kingwin since early April with no issues and a second one on my Hr20-100 since about July again no issues. I tried another enclosure without a fan and to me it was running to darn hot which is what prompted me to find the Kingwin which I posted here a long, long time ago :D

Thanks guys for the info and recommendation...got the drive and enclosure today...hooking it up in a little bit (after I blow through The Office...) Can't wait to fill up the new drive with HD goodness! :joy:
"If you never concede a goal, you're going to win more games than you lose" - BOBBY MOORE

D* Since 1998
1 - HR20-700
w/HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 750GB (32mb cache) +
KINGWIN JT-35E-BK 3.5" eSATA enclosure
2 - SD Series2 DirecTivos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Live4Soccer

Live4Soccer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

Hooked up my 750gig w/ext enclosure, re-set the unit, and it fired up like a champ! The guide needs to download again so I didn't get a chance to set my season passes and recordings but other than that, "GOLD JERRY - PURE GOLD!"

I'll tithe my 100gigs to DTV and then 650gigs of coolness! Can't wait...
"If you never concede a goal, you're going to win more games than you lose" - BOBBY MOORE

D* Since 1998
1 - HR20-700
w/HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 750GB (32mb cache) +
KINGWIN JT-35E-BK 3.5" eSATA enclosure
2 - SD Series2 DirecTivos

#103 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, I've got it up and running with the new seagate now. At the same time I was replacing the UPS unit with a better one, so just about everything got unplugged. Of course I had put the HR20 into standby first.

I first plugged the seagate into the sata cord which was already hooked up to the HR20. Then I powered it on and let it run a few moments. Then I plugged in the HR20 and it went through its startup sequence, and everything seems to be working. The List was empty as it should be, and I know the internal drive has one program on it, so it's on the external HD.

However I'm getting some 771 messages, searching for signal, on some stations. Does starting over with a new HD do that, or did I just get unlucky and pick a time when DTV was having some issues?

I'm so happy I didn't have to go through that sequence requiring me to hook up the drive to my PC. Thanks for the help Terravita.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#104 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

However I'm getting some 771 messages, searching for signal, on some stations. Does starting over with a new HD do that, or did I just get unlucky and pick a time when DTV was having some issues?

Well, an hour later and the 771 problem seems to have cleared up and I did nothing to fix it. It would appear the the HR20 needs a little while to reacquire all the channels after a hard drive change.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#105 OFFLINE   Terravita

Terravita

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

I did not run into this problem. I see by your latest post, that the problem is resolved.

I'm so happy I didn't have to go through that sequence requiring me to hook up the drive to my PC. Thanks for the help Terravita.

I am glad I could help.
HR20-700 {CE:09:11} - 0x1BE | Component to Pioneer Elite Pro 710HD (1080i) | Optical to Denon 5800
eSATA Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB | ICY DOCK MB559US-1S-B Enclosure
DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish | Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
HR20-700 Neworked via Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP Wireless Ethernet Converter (FW v2.53_3.01)
Linksys WRT54GS V5 Wireless-G Router (FW v1.52.2)
AMD Dual Core 4800+; 3gb RAM; 2.5tb HD
Windows XP SP2 | WMP 11 | Tversity 0.9.10.7

#106 OFFLINE   dxdenis02

dxdenis02

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

got my esata to work.... Western-Digital 1TB (WD10EACS) with this kool enclosure to match my stereo gear.... yes looks are important to me to blend in... ICY DOCK MB559US-1SMB ...it has a black mirror finish, esata cable included... will add the hr21 when available to complete the black look

#107 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

I think the 771 mesages are related to removing the HR20 from power. I took the UPS that was replaced and used it for our HR20 in the MBR. So it was unplugged for a short time and I got 771s again. I would also get a blank screen and audio. I new the cabling was ok because the HR20 guide and menus always showed up.

Now it seems to have cleared up.

I've got about 2 hours of HD recorded and the list indicator says 99% available.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#108 OFFLINE   Maxfli

Maxfli

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hey,

Can someone tell me if this enclosure would work? I found it at newegg.com for $799.

NORCO DS-1220 3U 12-bay Hot-swap Rackmount eSATA RAID Hard Drive Storage Subsysteml

I'd like something I could put in my AV rack and split some drives for my HR20 and others into my HTPC. Would this work by itself or are they other components / software needed to make this work?

Thanks,
Max

#109 OFFLINE   Maxfli

Maxfli

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:59 PM

Ok, now I have enough posts to add URLs. Here is the URL from the last post

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816133001

A similar product with (4) bays is this one:

http://www.datoptic...._S2M&detail=yes

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

#110 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

I dont believe either will work. The 12 bay uses 4 sata connections, and the 4 bay does not even use a eSATA connection, so how would it connect to your HR20?

#111 OFFLINE   bslayton

bslayton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:41 AM

I am using the KingWin eSata enclosure recommended here ($22 at newegg) with a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar drive ($339 at newegg.) ....

================
Reporting back after 5 days of use:

All is working very well. In fact, and I say this very subjectively, I think that I have fewer issues of pixelation with this new drive. Not that I had a big problem before, but I might have had an instance every two hours or so. I haven't noticed it once since using the eSata - it seems improved. Perhaps the large (32MB) cache on the Hitachi drive really makes a difference.

One other note: I saw several people mentioning the Cavalry external drive. It looks to me like it uses the KingWin enclosure - it looks IDENTICAL to me.

I purchased the same setup and it hooked up easily and painlessly! We now have plenty of storage for all the food channel shows the wife is recording! :)

One issue is that some recorded shows take about 15 seconds to start playing. After that they play just fine. Anyone else experiencing that problem?

Thanks,
b.

#112 OFFLINE   sroh

sroh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

I bought both from Newegg and installed last week. I used the esata cable that came with the Kingwin enclosure. It worked without a hitch for several days. Then I switched over to the internal drive this weekend to watch previously recorded shows.

When I switched back over Sunday night to the external, I started having problems. After a while, the picture would freeze, and the recorded shows would not play. A reboot would fix things for a while but it would happen again. I'm not sure whether it's the drive or the enclosure. My troubleshooting results lead me to think it was the enclosure. In any case, I didn't want to deal with it ao I am returning both to Newegg (got to love their customer service).

I bought a FAP from Costco last night on the way home. I hooked it up using the Kingwin esata cable and it's been running smooth since. Now I just need to pick up a replacement esata cable. Any recommendations on local stores? Fry's, BB and CompUSA are no good, right? How about MicroCenter? What brands should I look for?

#113 OFFLINE   jbart1965

jbart1965

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I am planning to get the Hitachi 1TB internal drive and perhaps the Kingwin enclosure, though I am willing to pay more for the quietest (coolest, best) one out there.

Just wondering though: Can I place the enclosure flat on top of the HR20, or does these things have to stand upright alongside the HR20?

#114 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

I am planning to get the Hitachi 1TB internal drive and perhaps the Kingwin enclosure, though I am willing to pay more for the quietest (coolest, best) one out there.

Just wondering though: Can I place the enclosure flat on top of the HR20, or does these things have to stand upright alongside the HR20?

If it's a HR20-700 with vents on the top, I would not suggest blocking it's air flow. I keep all three of my eSATA's behind and out of sight and in clear air behind the TV's. All run cool and only the RAID unit is audible.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#115 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

The Kingwin is working fine for me. It can be either flat or sideways, though I dont think putting it right ontop the HR20 is a good idea.

Its dead quiet, though it has an 80mm fan - pretty hefty. Like you though, I'd like to have the best enclosure I can. I couldn't find any real comparisons on cooling. If you find some, let me know. I just chose the kingwin based on quietness and the 80mm fan, but didn't find a comparison of running drive temps. (I wonder if the Antec might be cooler. They make good products - but I don't have any data to know its cooler. Its twice the price or more, but part of that is for USB support and an eSata backplane bracket - neither of which will be used with the HR20.)

I have used Kingwin removeable drive trays for years, without any issues, but this is my first use of their enclosure. So far so good (about 5 weeks now without even one hiccup.)

Here is a review of the Kingwin followed by the manufacturer product page.

http://www.bigbruin....07/kingwinjet_1

http://www.kingwin.c...ges/jt35ebk.asp

#116 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Tom's Hardware did a new review of the WD 1TB, and it looks very good. (I am using a Hitachi 1TB, and am very satisfied, but the cooler temps of the WD might have made me make a different choice, had this review been out 6 weeks ago.)

Its not as fast as the Hitachi, but should still be plenty fast enough for the HR20. A lot of the power saving features wont really come into play, since the HR20 is basically always writing to the drive. But the point that caught my eye is how much cooler the drive is under load.

Of course, I do feel good that my Hitachi has been out for several months and has not experienced any widespread failures (its no deathstar), or complaints. It continues to also be extremely well reviewed.

Here's the review, with a bookmark right to the temperature chart:
http://www.tomshardw...ace_temperature

#117 OFFLINE   jondiehl

jondiehl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

That Western Digital 1TB just went on sale at Best Buy for only $279.99

http://www.bestbuy.c...6#productdetail

I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Seagate 750GB FreeAgent Pro for $199.99, but for only ~$100 more (including an enclosure), it might be worth it for the extra 250GB and cooler temps.
DVR's:
D* HR20-700 (upgraded with an internal 2TB drive)
D* HR21-700 (upgraded with an internal 1TB drive)
D* HR24-500
D* HR24-500

#118 OFFLINE   jbart1965

jbart1965

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

My HR20 has fan vents on the top. I ask because I dont have much space in my cabinet. Maybe 6 inches high, 4 inches wide in one cabinet and 8 inches high, 4 inches wide, in another cabinet. Looks like the drive and enclosure would fit based on the dimensions I see. Seems like these combos are much smaller than the HR20 iself.

BTW, saw the WD 1TB drive at BB, but its not at my nearby store. Some people seem to think a 32 cache is best and that the WD is slower, but I guess its a small thing in the bigger picture.

#119 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

BTW, saw the WD 1TB drive at BB, but its not at my nearby store. Some people seem to think a 32 cache is best and that the WD is slower, but I guess its a small thing in the bigger picture.

If you read and trust the reviews, the conclusion is the Hitachi is definitely faster and the WD is definitely cooler. Now the questions for use with the HR20 are not so clear:

1. Is the Hitachi's faster performance likely to in any way make the HR20's use better than the WD's, or is the WD "fast enough" to be everything the HR20 can take advantage of. (IMO, probably yes, the WD is fast enough. Reviews indicate its likely to be at least as fast or faster than the internal drive that the HR20 ships with.) Now in my case, once I moved to the Hitachi, my whole HR20 experience improved - everything got smoother and zippier. However, I may well have had sort of a dud internal drive. Your mileage may vary.

2. Does the cooler temp of the WD translate into longer life ? Thats the big question. Its not so clear. Intuitively you'd think yes, but there was a big study earlier this year (using the drives in the Google data center), that surprisingly did NOT correlate drive failures to drive temperatures. (This study is easily found with an internet search.) That said, I certainly think running cool is a good thing.

The Hitachi drive is extremely quiet - it is the quietest hard drive I have ever owned. (And I have used MANY MANY hard drives.)

So which is better: I dunno. I like my experience so far with the Hitachi, but the WD also looks very interesting to me.

I think you can't answer this for at least a year - with some long term experiences - and even then I think the most likely answer will be that they are both good choices.

#120 OFFLINE   putalydonit

putalydonit

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

what model on the hitachi is being used?
thanks

spam firewall