Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

Drive: Western Digital 1TB WD10000CSRTL
Enclosure: Antec MX-1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   DubMarc

DubMarc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

x2

#123 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

x3 soon to be x4
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#124 OFFLINE   jondiehl

jondiehl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Drive: Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB (got it on sale for $279.99 @ Bestbuy)
Enclosure: KINGWIN JT-35E-BK w/ active cooling ($21.99 @ NewEgg, includes eSATA cable)

Put it together today, unplugged the HR20, fired up the new drive, plugged in the included eSATA cable, plugged the HR20 back in, and everything seems to be working fine.
DVR's:
D* HR20-700 (upgraded with an internal 2TB drive)
D* HR21-700 (upgraded with an internal 1TB drive)
D* HR24-500
D* HR24-500

#125 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

Same rules apply.. when you add a second drive the whole array will have to be wiped out..

I was actually wondering about this myself... I appreciate your help but I have to wonder if this is really the case. The HR20 determines how the drives are read... so if you had a 500gb HD and wanted to add another you could simply unplug the first 500gb HD, plug in the other, format it, plug them both in to the JBOD solution, and it should read as 1tb...

Then again, I am brand-new to DirecTV so I have no idea how this would really work... Ideas?

#126 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hey,

Can someone tell me if this enclosure would work? I found it at newegg.com for $799.

NORCO DS-1220 3U 12-bay Hot-swap Rackmount eSATA RAID Hard Drive Storage Subsysteml

I'd like something I could put in my AV rack and split some drives for my HR20 and others into my HTPC. Would this work by itself or are they other components / software needed to make this work?

Thanks,
Max

I was wondering this as well ;)... The esata connection is simple given a converter... It's a pricy solution but I agree that a little extra $ for a lot of extra convienience goes a LONG way!

I was going to buy a hot-swappable solution at Micro Center but, of course, their in-store supply isn't that great. All I can say is try it and keep the reciept... but make sure you post your results ;) so that the rest of us can copy your homework!

#127 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

The NORCO DS-1220 is NOT a RAID Array, it does not have a RAID Controller within it. It uses port multipliers and needs one on the system that you connect it to. Based on that if you connect this to an HR20 you might be able to read a single drive or maybe no drives at all.

There are some RAID solutions out there with a self contained RAID Controller but they are usually pretty expensive. I've seen some for around $1000. Others have been posted here and there but I haven't heard any confirmation that they actually work with the HR20.

Also a lot of people have the Sans Digital 2 Bay RAID unit, It has been posted that if you start with a single drive then add a second drive in a RAID 0 to double the space the HR20 will reformat it to utilize the additional space.

The only way you would be able to avoid that is if you had a unit with a controller that would expand on the fly and even then the HR20 might still reformat to utilize the additional space.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#128 OFFLINE   wyatt9696

wyatt9696

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

I am using the KingWin eSata enclosure recommended here ($22 at newegg) with a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar drive ($339 at newegg.) The Kingwin comes with an eSata cable and it works fine and fits fine, with no trimming. The enclosure is black with a blue LED that complements the HR20's LEDs. (According to the Kingwin website, its also available in silver, though I dont see that at newegg.) It has a fan to keep drive cool, yet is very quiet as is the drive itself. All in all, very pleased so far. I've had a few days, so not a long test yet. But it was truly painless. Clearly the 750GB solution would be better on a $/GB basis, but I am pleased with the total price of this for a 1TB solution., and without a higher end Raid enclosure for multiple drives.

Drive: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145143

Enclosure (with eSata cable): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

================
Reporting back after 5 days of use:

All is working very well. In fact, and I say this very subjectively, I think that I have fewer issues of pixelation with this new drive. Not that I had a big problem before, but I might have had an instance every two hours or so. I haven't noticed it once since using the eSata - it seems improved. Perhaps the large (32MB) cache on the Hitachi drive really makes a difference.

One other note: I saw several people mentioning the Cavalry external drive. It looks to me like it uses the KingWin enclosure - it looks IDENTICAL to me.

i just went for this setup. is it just a matter of putting the drive in the enclosure, and hooking it up to the hr20? is there software involved for the drive/enclosure setup, or is it just plug and play? any help is appreciated.

#129 OFFLINE   tombet

tombet

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

i just went for this setup. is it just a matter of putting the drive in the enclosure, and hooking it up to the hr20? is there software involved for the drive/enclosure setup, or is it just plug and play? any help is appreciated.

No software - put it together, and restart the HR20 with it plugged in and powered on. Its really that simple.

#130 OFFLINE   wyatt9696

wyatt9696

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

thanks for the info. i appreciate it.

UPDATE: installed drive and enclosure. took 2 minutes, then reboot. all is well.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145143

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817121022

i cannot hear the drive or fan inside the enclosure. so far so good.

#131 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:51 AM

Could someone please confirm whether or not this RAID enclosure would work? It has the Sil4726 chipset. At $260, with RAID 10, this seems like an enclosure I could grow into once prices come down...

Thoughts?

#132 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Could someone please confirm whether or not this RAID enclosure would work? It has the Sil4726 chipset. At $260, with RAID 10, this seems like an enclosure I could grow into once prices come down...

Thoughts?

I don't see any link to the Enclosure you mentioned however if it uses the Sil Chipset you mentioned the chances that it will are slim. The reason being is that it uses a port multiplier within the enclosure (The Sil Chipset) and it needs card within the Host system to be able to utilize the multiplexed signal coming from the Enclosure. At the time the HR20 does not have this capability. Maybe someday one of its successors with but that is a big maybe.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#133 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

Sorry... That is what I get for posting at 4am!
http://www.cooldrive...hasaraqudr.html

Now I am REALLY confused! I thought that the Sil4726 was one of the two chipsets that DID work!

I hate to double-post, but if it gets me an answer ;)! I am trying to do a RAID-0 (open to RAID-10 if the $ is right) with the Hitachi 1TB... so the majority of enclosures out there that everyone is in love with won't work as they are limited to 1TB or 1.5TB.

Any help would be appreciated!

#134 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

Sans Digital MS2UT External Raid Enclosure with two WD 750gb hard drives(WD7500AAKS).
Jeff

My Setup

#135 OFFLINE   putalydonit

putalydonit

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

just set up a WD 10 EACS 1 TB drive in a kingwin JT-35E-BK case
smooth as silk-all worked easy on first re-boot
recording lots and like mad to rebuild library
sweet

#136 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

Has anyone here had any long term experience with the Sans Digital MS2UT Enclosure? I picked one up recently but thought I might have heard someone say that they have had long term issues / failures with a similar enclosure possibly due to improper cooling?

I want to make sure before I pop in 2 750's and record a ton of content on them that this is a proven option.

#137 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

Has anyone here had any long term experience with the Sans Digital MS2UT Enclosure? I picked one up recently but thought I might have heard someone say that they have had long term issues / failures with a similar enclosure possibly due to improper cooling?

I want to make sure before I pop in 2 750's and record a ton of content on them that this is a proven option.

I've read a lot of posts where people had cooling issues with the MS2UT... I guess you could always just upgrade the fan... It does support 2TB... Hmmm... Intrigue.

#138 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:47 AM

I've read a lot of posts where people had cooling issues with the MS2UT... I guess you could always just upgrade the fan... It does support 2TB... Hmmm... Intrigue.

No, the MS2UT will only work up to 1.5TB and you cannot use any larger hard drives than two 750GB drives.

#139 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:51 AM

The fan on my MS2UT is already loud enough. I couldn't imagine upgrading it bigger. Anybody else notice this? I may need to turn the back of the unit to the wall. Right now it is turned sideways. Maybe that will help? It should be keeping those hard drives cool enough as fast as that fan is turning.lol
Jeff

My Setup

#140 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

People need to know their facts on these boards before they post bad information and mislead others (however mistaken)! The MS2UT supports 2 TB of data.
http://www.sansdigit...stor/ms2ut.html

Pardon me for saying so... While I greatly appreciate the help of those who know what they are talking about, all of the misinformation posted within these forums made this process WAAAAAAAAY harder than it needed to be.

End of rant.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...