Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2203 replies to this topic

#2001 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

SATA revisions or better is a speed would be the rate: 1.5 Gbps, 3.0 Gbps and 6.0 Gbps.
Other designators are just created by marketing 'smarties' to mess with buyer's perception.

My understanding of the marketing translation is Sata = 1.5 ; Sata 2 = 3.0 ; and, Sata 3 = 6.0 (all in Gbps)
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2002 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

That's why discussing the cable's parameter (important one !) we need to understand its physicals ,not to try decipher the marketing plot.

And, ummm, it's SATA and eSATA and eSATAp - all of them are acronyms, not words;
not Sata.

#2003 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

That's why discussing the cable's parameter (important one !) we need to understand its physicals ,not to try decipher the marketing plot.

And, ummm, it's SATA and eSATA and eSATAp - all of them are acronyms, not words;
not Sata.

P,

I find it amusing that you repeatedly correct posters for using "eSata" or "sata" or "Sata" or whatever (which we all can obviously decipher), when we have trouble reading many of your posts due to the poor English. Not to mention your typically condescending tone.

Does it help all of us posters to see you constantly correcting everyone on really insignificant things? Don't you think it would be more civil to be NICE........and stay on-topic?

Fred

#2004 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi Rich,
My Antec MX1's fan got too noisey to tolerate after about two years service. Moved drive to Thermaltake Max 5 which is not recognized by the HR21-100. Moved drive back to MX1 and it works fine with HR21, but still noisey of course. Does the drive power in external boxes come through the eSATA connection or from the box power supply. It seems that the drive spins up when powering up the MX1, but stays dormant when the Max5 is powered up. Considering the Thermaltake Docking Station, but there are a lot ob bad reviews out on it and I am fearfull. Do you reccomend it for the HR21?

Haven't seen any complaints about the TT docking stations on this forum. I have a couple, tho. For one thing the on/off switch is very delicate and if used a lot will fail. Better to use the power plug to turn them off and on, I think. Another problem I see with them is that as they age, it gets more difficult to seat the HDD in the dock properly. I've got a couple like that. Takes me longer to seat the HDDs and reboot the HR and dock to see if it works than it does with new TT docks.

Aside from those two minor problems, I still use mine and will continue to do so. Just keep in mind, cheap is cheap and I've taken a dock apart and they're pretty simple devices.

To answer your question, If I had an HR21, I'd go with the TT dock. Should work fine, just make sure you have the HDD properly seated.

About the Amazon reviews, I do read some of them and I'm always surprised at the reviews of everything. Seems like most folks buy stuff and can't figure out how to get that stuff to work properly, so they blame it on the device, not their own ignorance.

Rich

#2005 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE="Rich"]

Thing is, the enclosures and docks are cheap and prone to failure. The most dependable device I've found is the Thermaltake docking station. He might have just gotten a bad enclosure. There have been problems reported with getting the EURS HDDs to be recognized by the HRs.

So, even tho most external devices and HDDs work right off the bat, we still see some problems.

About "For what it's worth", it's good to post that you have working equipment similar or exactly like the equipment that another member is having problems with. Narrows down the possibilities for us.

Rich

Update -- re: I have the newer version Rosewill RX-358 U3C with the 3TB model of the WD AV-GP drive attached to my HR-34...

I experienced a period where the playback on my TV would start dropping audio/video to a black screen for a few seconds then come back on at the spot where the video had advanced to in that 'black screen' period (not at the original dropped spot). It would seem to do it at about 15 - 20 minutes into playback. After experimenting with various attempts to fix the problem, I found that if I stopped the playback and went to live TV for a minute or 2 and then either restarted the recorded show from the beginning (and FF to where the problem occurred) or resumed at the stopping point it would play fine. That showed that the problem was in the playback, not the original recording (I.e. the recording was intact).

Unfortunately, 2 changes occurred -- my HR34 updated it's software and I bought a 'better' eSata cable (replacing the cable included with the Rosewill enclosure, based on comments in this forum). After 20+ hours of playback (including some recordings made before the changes) the problem has not resurfaced. Wife is happy!

So I can't say which fixed the problem, but I do feel better with the upgraded cable. The upgraded cable is Sata 3 rated, and the stock cable was unrated. The Sata 3 rating exceeds the reported transfer rate of the enclosure, but that is at minimal cost difference to a Sata 2 rated cable.

A truly great troubleshooter (don't consider myself one) will only fix one thing at a time so that they will know exactly what the problem was when it's fixed. I usually do so many things when something doesn't work correctly that I have little to no idea what actually fixed the problem. Problem with a truly great troubleshooter is it takes him forever to get something fixed. I haven't got the patience for that.

Probably wasn't the eSATA cord, but it would be interesting to see you put the original eSATA cord back on and see what happens. My guess would be the updated software corrected the problem.

Rich

#2006 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

A truly great troubleshooter (don't consider myself one) will only fix one thing at a time so that they will know exactly what the problem was when it's fixed. I usually do so many things when something doesn't work correctly that I have little to no idea what actually fixed the problem. Problem with a truly great troubleshooter is it takes him forever to get something fixed. I haven't got the patience for that.

Probably wasn't the eSATA cord, but it would be interesting to see you put the original eSATA cord back on and see what happens. My guess would be the updated software corrected the problem.

Rich

I will try switching the eSATA cord, but it will be a week before I can do it and another week to test with my current schedule. I work in IT so I am a pretty good troubleshooter. But the situation of an unhappy wife and the HR-34 being my 'Production' environment, demanded all resources thrown at it to resolve the issue, versus the luxury of having Dev, Test, and Acceptance environments, as I do at work!

As an aside, there was also the 3rd possibility of either the software upgrade or the 'better' cord would have fixed the issue. If the software upgrade reduced the I/O traffic between the MB and the disk, which the 'better' cord could have handled without the upgrade, then either change may have resolved the issue. As a true troubleshooter I would have tested all 4 combos of 2 software releases and 2 cords. But when I come home, enough of the work mentality and more of the 'let us be entertained' mentality.

Thanks for everyone's helpful comments. Cheers!
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2007 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Nay "If the software upgrade reduced the I/O traffic between the MB and the disk, which the 'better' cord could have handled without the upgrade" doesn't work that way. Perhaps your got the analogy from traffic on streets of Sacto. :)

#2008 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I will try switching the eSATA cord, but it will be a week before I can do it and another week to test with my current schedule. I work in IT so I am a pretty good troubleshooter. But the situation of an unhappy wife and the HR-34 being my 'Production' environment, demanded all resources thrown at it to resolve the issue, versus the luxury of having Dev, Test, and Acceptance environments, as I do at work!

As an aside, there was also the 3rd possibility of either the software upgrade or the 'better' cord would have fixed the issue. If the software upgrade reduced the I/O traffic between the MB and the disk, which the 'better' cord could have handled without the upgrade, then either change may have resolved the issue. As a true troubleshooter I would have tested all 4 combos of 2 software releases and 2 cords. But when I come home, enough of the work mentality and more of the 'let us be entertained' mentality.

I never got a chance to troubleshoot without being under pressure to get equipment running immediately. I guess that became ingrained in my mind. Once I solve a problem, I usually just pack the possible solutions in a corner of my mind. I rarely go back and fiddle with a working device.

Rich

#2009 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Rich,

Do I ever agree with that! Same goes for plumbing and electrical work....but especially for DirecTV's external drives. If I do a simple plumbing job and get no leaks....it always leaks if I tighten the fitting a tad more to be sure. I believe in leave well-enough alone!

Fred

#2010 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Good Lord !

Now ppl coming into computers, DVR world with plumber's analogy.

If it's too comprehensive for you, why not just accept the fact of your own level of incompetency and stop making attempts to understand it at level of 'tightening sewer tubes' ?

#2011 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good Lord !

Now ppl coming into computers, DVR world with plumber's analogy.

If it's too comprehensive for you, why not just accept the fact of your own level of incompetency and stop making attempts to understand it at level of 'tightening sewer tubes' ?

Why are you such a jerk? I'm competent enough. My eSata experience has been VERY successful.

What's wrong with an analogy that you, obviously didn't understand. Having trouble with English again?????

You continue to be arrogant and condescending in tone to many posters. WHY? IMHO, it's big man behind a computer syndrome!

The only thing remotely "sewer-like" is your constant badgering of other posters, who you deem to not be worthy.

I ask, as I did in another post: why not be civil to others???:nono2:

#2012 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm civil in contrary as your flaming posts. And stay at factual adequate level, not such frivolous analogy.

#2013 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm civil in contrary as your flaming posts. And stay at factual adequate level, not such frivolous analogy.

Jeez,P Smith.

Grow up.....and quit TELLING me what to do. You do NOT run this forum.:lol:

Let's get back on topic.....as I asked you to do before.

Fred

#2014 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

That's what I expected from you long time ago ... stay on topic, please.

#2015 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just add him to your ignore list....works a treat.

#2016 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Exactly ! You don't need to read my poor English posts.

#2017 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Exactly ! You don't need to read my poor English posts.

Your poor English is not what concerns me!

BTW, P Smith. In your "About Me" section under your personal profile, you list "colon-scope" under:Your DBS and/or Satellite Radio Equipment.

What are you using that for???::lol::lol::lol:

#2018 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

well, that would be enough for off-topic

stop by and I'll glad to demonstrate the device for you :D

#2019 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

well, that would be enough for off-topic

stop by and I'll glad to demonstrate the device for you :D

Uh, No thanks!

So you are doing self-colonoscopies! That explains a LOT!

Fred

#2020 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

nope, only for those ppl who are flaming at forums and demonstrate outrageous ability to present complicated electronics as plumbing ;)
and btw, it's nor "self" type device, you must be presented in person to give you some measures of your capabilities :D

#2021 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

nope, only for those ppl who are flaming at forums and demonstrate outrageous ability to present complicated electronics as plumbing ;)
and btw, it's nor "self" type device, you must be presented in person to give you some measures of your capabilities :D

Keep digging your hole deeper.For what it's worth, I know exactly how to use a colonoscope. You forgot what my occupation is.

I'm not a DIY colonoscopy guy like yourself. :lol::lol:

Fred

#2022 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

enough

#2023 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

enough

Whatever you say, P Smith. Should have ended posts ago.

#2024 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Rich,

Do I ever agree with that! Same goes for plumbing and electrical work....but especially for DirecTV's external drives. If I do a simple plumbing job and get no leaks....it always leaks if I tighten the fitting a tad more to be sure. I believe in leave well-enough alone!

Fred

Yup, if it's working, leave it alone. I have that same problem with plumbing. Damn things always leak.

Rich

#2025 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yup, if it's working, leave it alone. I have that same problem with plumbing. Damn things always leak.

Rich

I used to design and build audiophile speakers. Same thing applied to those. Simpler is better. If it works....stop right there! Just like plumbing:eek2:

Fred

Protected By... spam firewall...And...