Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2187 replies to this topic

#2176 OFFLINE   PluckIt

PluckIt

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

Sorry, man, but that's why I asked the question. My Thermaltake has eSATA, but not all do, as you found out. 

Hey, I'm happy I have a solution that will include basically the same Thermaltake. The new one has been ordered and will be here Saturday and the old one is on the way back.

Edited by PluckIt, 30 January 2015 - 03:15 AM.

• Laxguy likes this

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2177 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,613 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

. Another nice thing is that the Phillips HR21-700 literally took 22+ minutes to reboot to a usable state and the Genie takes less than 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the helpful posts I’ve read on here!
David

There is no such beast as a Phillips HR21-700. it seems you have an old legacy TiVO which is NOT compatible with SWM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#2178 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Just got a new HR44 and would like to connect an external HD to it.  At least 2TB, 3TB would be plenty.  Wouldn't mind buying one already in a case, but willing to buy external case and drive.  Is there a currently updated list of HDs known to work with the HR44?

Just about any Green Caviar WD HDD will work.  The Seagate Challenger series will work.  The WD red, green, purple, etc all seem to work.  I've been using the Green Caviars with great success for years.  Only problem model seems to be the EURS model and that's not frequently a problem, but it is problematic enough for me to avoid them.  I like the WD EARX.  I don't even have a clue what's in most of my 10 owned HRs, but they are all WD Caviar Greens.  Amazon's usually got one on sale every day, here's a link to my favorite HDD.  Not a bad price for a 2TB drive.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 30 January 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#2179 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Have you read other threads dedicated to the model? The list is not exist,all info scattered here.

Have you read my reply to his post?  Took a couple minutes.  You could have done the same thing, Pete.

Rich

#2180 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 415 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:32 AM

Just about any Green Caviar WD HDD will work.  The Seagate Challenger series will work.  The WD red, green, purple, etc all seem to work.  I've been using the Green Caviars with great success for years.  Only problem model seems to be the EURS model and that's not frequently a problem, but it is problematic enough for me to avoid them.  I like the WD EARX.  I don't even have a clue what's in most of my 10 owned HRs, but they are all WD Caviar Greens.  Amazon's usually got one on sale every day, here's a link to my favorite HDD.  Not a bad price for a 2TB drive.

Rich

What are the problems with the EURs models Rich? I have two working with DirecTV DVRs right now - a 3TB on my HR44 and a 2TB on my HR24. They've been working fine, but now you've got me worried. :)

#2181 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

Has anyone used the internal HDD from an HR44 as an external? I can't seem to get mine working. The HDD is thinner than regular ones, and doesn't fit tightly into the Thermaltake dock. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2182 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

What are the problems with the EURs models Rich? I have two working with DirecTV DVRs right now - a 3TB on my HR44 and a 2TB on my HR24. They've been working fine, but now you've got me worried. :)

You'd have seen the problems right away, you're OK.  Also lucky.  Most of the problems I've read about are about getting them to be seen by the HRs.  Not all of them are bad, I never meant to give that impression.  

Rich

#2183 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

Has anyone used the internal HDD from an HR44 as an external? I can't seem to get mine working. The HDD is thinner than regular ones, and doesn't fit tightly into the Thermaltake dock. 

What make and model is the HDD?  Almost sounds like a Seagate Pipeline.

Rich

#2184 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

That's exactly what it is. ("1000 GB")

Do I need to shim it? Or something else to get it to be the default startup disk for the HR44-200?

#2185 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

That's exactly what it is. ("1000 GB")

Do I need to shim it? Or something else to get it to be the default startup disk for the HR44-200?

If you take a flashlight and look into the HDD slot on the TT dock you'll see where the HDD is supposed to be plugged into.  I don't know if that particular HDD will fit well enough to be used.  Even if you do get it plugged in properly, you're gonna have to do some shimming to keep it steady or it will vibrate out of the plug, I would think.  Those Pipelines are a PITA.  Consider yourself lucky to have been able to put a "normal" sized HDD in the 44.

Rich

#2186 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yes, the 2 TB drive is working fine, and I am slowly forgetting what it is I wanted to watch on the old drive. 

#2187 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 415 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

You'd have seen the problems right away, you're OK.  Also lucky.  Most of the problems I've read about are about getting them to be seen by the HRs.  Not all of them are bad, I never meant to give that impression.  

Rich

Whew.  :righton:

#2188 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Whew.  :righton:

It's really infrequent.  But it does happen.  With my lack of luck, I try to avoid anything I have any doubts about.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...