Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2218 replies to this topic

#2201 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Never ceases to amaze me when someone says that.  I had so many of them and not one worked.  

Rich

Still going after 9 years?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2202 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'm looking into getting this Toshiba 3TB Canvio external hard drive and opening it up, taking it out and putting it into my Rosewill Enclosure which has eSata.

Inside the Toshiba enclosure is a Hitachi Drive with 5940 RPM and 32MB Cache. Is this OK? I've been using a 3TB 7200 RPM/64 MB Cache Seagate drive inside that Rosewill enclosure, so just wondering if this 5940 RPM drive would act any differently than the Seagate drive did in that same Rosewill enclosure or cause any issues in my HR34? Will the HR34 respond slower with this drive?

Edited by xtc, 08 March 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#2203 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Still going after 9 years?

Absolutely amazing.  

Rich

#2204 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

I'm looking into getting this Toshiba 3TB Canvio external hard drive and opening it up, taking it out and putting it into my Rosewill Enclosure which has eSata.

Inside the Toshiba enclosure is a Hitachi Drive with 5940 RPM and 32MB Cache. Is this OK? I've been using a 3TB 7200 RPM/64 MB Cache Seagate drive inside that Rosewill enclosure, so just wondering if this 5940 RPM drive would act any differently than the Seagate drive did in that same Rosewill enclosure or cause any issues in my HR34? Will the HR34 respond slower with this drive?

Is that Hitachi drive a SATA drive?  

Rich

#2205 OFFLINE   szaras

szaras

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:03 AM

Long time, first time.  I've read and searched through as much as I can.  Any guidance is much appreciated.

My background:

I have been running a WD20EVDS (2TB AV rated) in an Antec MX-1 attached to a HR24-200 and another WD20EVDS (2TB AV rated) in an Antec MX-1 attached to a HR24-200 since November 2010 with luckily not one problem on either.  Both have been full (running constantly at <5% free space) for years now.

I'm getting a Genie soon.  What would either you'd rather see work or please inform me if you know this wouldn't work out technically of these two setups:

1.  Four (4) WD60EZRX (6TB Green series) in a Sans Digital MobileSTOR MS4UT+B 4 Bay unit running RAID 5 attached to the Genie

2.  Six (6) WD40EURX (4TB AV rated) in a Mediasonic ProRaid H8R2-SU3S2 8 Bay unit running RAID 5 attached to the Genie

I do get that option 1 would be a little cheaper.  If anybody knows of another similar solution hovering around $1,000 that could give me ~12-16TB of useable space that you know is very reliable please let me know.

Thanks,

Jonathan

#2206 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

If you can get it running, I would expect either option to work about the same.  However, I think the sans has been tested, the other I am not so sure.  I think Runner is the one who tested that one...

#2207 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:13 PM

I would use second option, if it will works with DVR.
It's expandable beyond current limitation 16 TB and you could use hot swap drive if it's supporting feature.

#2208 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 548 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:06 AM

Long time, first time.  I've read and searched through as much as I can.  Any guidance is much appreciated.

My background:

I have been running a WD20EVDS (2TB AV rated) in an Antec MX-1 attached to a HR24-200 and another WD20EVDS (2TB AV rated) in an Antec MX-1 attached to a HR24-200 since November 2010 with luckily not one problem on either.  Both have been full (running constantly at <5% free space) for years now.

I'm getting a Genie soon.  What would either you'd rather see work or please inform me if you know this wouldn't work out technically of these two setups:

1.  Four (4) WD60EZRX (6TB Green series) in a Sans Digital MobileSTOR MS4UT+B 4 Bay unit running RAID 5 attached to the Genie

2.  Six (6) WD40EURX (4TB AV rated) in a Mediasonic ProRaid H8R2-SU3S2 8 Bay unit running RAID 5 attached to the Genie

I do get that option 1 would be a little cheaper.  If anybody knows of another similar solution hovering around $1,000 that could give me ~12-16TB of useable space that you know is very reliable please let me know.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Because the data on the drive is tied to that specific receiver, I don't understand the need for that much storage. I have a 1 TB external drive and I have never had more than 50% filled at one time. When/If 4K video arrives, I can understand the need for more storage space.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Equipment: HR21-700 & HR20-700 receivers
SlimLine 5 Antenna, SWM-16, CCK, & DECA IIs
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU (General)

#2209 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Because the data on the drive is tied to that specific receiver, I don't understand the need for that much storage. I have a 1 TB external drive and I have never had more than 50% filled at one time. When/If 4K video arrives, I can understand the need for more storage space.

That's the inherent weakness of the Genies.  If you record and save a lot of content you're gonna fill up a 1TB drive pretty quickly and the TS sounds like he's been doing that.  How he runs the 24s at <5% is beyond me.  Mine slow down when they get nearly filled and I use 2TB drives in/on them and I do try to keep them half full.  Now the TS wants all that storage and will probably use quite a bit of it.  I can't help but wonder what he's gonna do when the Genie fails and he loses all that content.  

Rich

#2210 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

That's the inherent weakness of trying to create an archive of TV material! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2211 OFFLINE   szaras

szaras

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:28 PM

I do see a few posts here and there questioning the need for that amount of space.  I get it... most people don't need that kind of space.  I of course don't watch most of my 4TB of content all of the time.  My kids certainly do love to be able to pull up all of the shows and movies whenever they want to.  I'm not someone who subscribes to Netflix or Hulu so I cannot pull up any show at any time.  I also like the quality of my recorded (not streaming) content.  I also HATE commercials.  It looks and sounds much better on my very large screens and sound systems.  It's just better quality save for DVD's and BRD.  I will someday not need a TV provider.  That day will come when I can get the ability to record the NHL Center Ice & NFL Sunday Ticket games at a high quality.

It's definitely overkill but I've been impressed that I've been running two systems without problems for over 5 and a half years.  Maybe I got lucky but I guess I'm willing to take that chance again.

#2212 OFFLINE   szaras

szaras

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

That's the inherent weakness of the Genies.  If you record and save a lot of content you're gonna fill up a 1TB drive pretty quickly and the TS sounds like he's been doing that.  How he runs the 24s at <5% is beyond me.  Mine slow down when they get nearly filled and I use 2TB drives in/on them and I do try to keep them half full.  Now the TS wants all that storage and will probably use quite a bit of it.  I can't help but wonder what he's gonna do when the Genie fails and he loses all that content.  

Rich

They do run a bit slow but it's not that bad.  (BTW... I hit 0% every couple of weeks when I don't have the time to watch TV.  Worst part of this is live TV will have a much shorter time in which I can rewind.)  When I first pushed the systems that far I noticed a dramatic difference.  Over time, I don't know what it was, it picked up speed.  Maybe some updates helped?  My friend's systems do not run that much faster than mine.  One thing that does take forever is rebooting.  I've never clocked it but it has to be over 5 minutes; maybe 10?  I'm starting to think I've been very lucky.

If the Genie fails then I'll probably commit to dumping my TV provider and use my HDD's for creating a home server filled with legally ripped movies and TV shows.  This is my goal I just don't have the time to put this together now.

I'm really not trying to brag or anything.  I just hope this information is interesting/useful to someone.  And I appreciate all of the feedback.

Thanks!

#2213 OFFLINE   szaras

szaras

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:54 PM

If you can get it running, I would expect either option to work about the same.  However, I think the sans has been tested, the other I am not so sure.  I think Runner is the one who tested that one...

Yes it was Runner that recommended that one.  That is why I'm torn.  One person did say the other worked but they were not an avid user of these forums.  I'm surprised that so many different HDD seem to work fine.  The WD AV rated ones I've been using seem to be quality workhorses.  Hard not to continue to use something similar.  I guess I could always try to return the equipment if it doesn't work.  Anybody ever have problems returning HDD's to Amazon (sold & shipped by Amazon, no 3rd party?)

#2214 OFFLINE   szaras

szaras

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

I would use second option, if it will works with DVR.
It's expandable beyond current limitation 16 TB and you could use hot swap drive if it's supporting feature.

Wait... question.  If I set up an 8 bay system, only use 4 bays, can I add more HDD's to the system later (after the fact) to increase my capacity?  Of course I mean in the DVR situation using the Genie.  If this is possible then I could definitely try the larger system with even fewer HDD for now saving money during initial setup.

#2215 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,059 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

I do see a few posts here and there questioning the need for that amount of space. I get it... most people don't need that kind of space. I of course don't watch most of my 4TB of content all of the time. My kids certainly do love to be able to pull up all of the shows and movies whenever they want to. I'm not someone who subscribes to Netflix or Hulu so I cannot pull up any show at any time. I also like the quality of my recorded (not streaming) content. I also HATE commercials. It looks and sounds much better on my very large screens and sound systems. It's just better quality save for DVD's and BRD. I will someday not need a TV provider. That day will come when I can get the ability to record the NHL Center Ice & NFL Sunday Ticket games at a high quality.

It's definitely overkill but I've been impressed that I've been running two systems without problems for over 5 and a half years. Maybe I got lucky but I guess I'm willing to take that chance again.

Plus I mean you can record all kinds of stuff just to have and if it gets lost just record a bunch more similar stuff with the next machine. Assuming your just filling part of it with random movies and such

I will say a Netflix bluray subscription would take a long time to hit $1k in cost though....
  • szaras likes this

#2216 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

They do run a bit slow but it's not that bad.  (BTW... I hit 0% every couple of weeks when I don't have the time to watch TV.  Worst part of this is live TV will have a much shorter time in which I can rewind.)  When I first pushed the systems that far I noticed a dramatic difference.  Over time, I don't know what it was, it picked up speed.  Maybe some updates helped?  My friend's systems do not run that much faster than mine.  One thing that does take forever is rebooting.  I've never clocked it but it has to be over 5 minutes; maybe 10?  I'm starting to think I've been very lucky.

If the Genie fails then I'll probably commit to dumping my TV provider and use my HDD's for creating a home server filled with legally ripped movies and TV shows.  This is my goal I just don't have the time to put this together now.

I'm really not trying to brag or anything.  I just hope this information is interesting/useful to someone.  And I appreciate all of the feedback.

Thanks!

Yup, you are lucky.  If D* would just listen to sense and allow us to use any HDD with any HR within an account it wouldn't be a problem having the amount of content you seem to desire.  You said you never use Netflix, you do realize that you're missing out on a really good service with plenty of content and a high def picture that is much better than D*'s 1080i?  

Rich

#2217 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Yes it was Runner that recommended that one.  That is why I'm torn.  One person did say the other worked but they were not an avid user of these forums.  I'm surprised that so many different HDD seem to work fine.  The WD AV rated ones I've been using seem to be quality workhorses.  Hard not to continue to use something similar.  I guess I could always try to return the equipment if it doesn't work.  Anybody ever have problems returning HDD's to Amazon (sold & shipped by Amazon, no 3rd party?)

You cannot go wrong taking RunnerFL's advice.  He's been playing with the RAID + Genie setups since the Genies were introduced.

Rich

#2218 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

You cannot go wrong taking RunnerFL's advice.  He's been playing with the RAID + Genie setups since the Genies were introduced.

Rich

well, he is not that rich as you :P to test all available HW RAID boxes with DTV DVRs

#2219 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

Wait... question.  If I set up an 8 bay system, only use 4 bays, can I add more HDD's to the system later (after the fact) to increase my capacity?  Of course I mean in the DVR situation using the Genie.  If this is possible then I could definitely try the larger system with even fewer HDD for now saving money during initial setup.

sure you could (DBStalk has a couple threads dedicated to the process), BUT (!) you'll need [temporary] other (same) RAID box to accept moving content/partition

Edited by P Smith, 11 June 2015 - 10:47 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...