Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Working eSata Setups:

• Please log in to reply
2283 replies to this topic

#2251 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,960 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

corruption is possible, but irrelevant for functioning DVR in your case

Incorrect...  Corrupt files would be the cause of his reboots.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2252 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,198 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Only if FW [video decompression] incorrectly handling data errors.

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#2253 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,960 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Only if FW [video decompression] incorrectly handling data errors.

No, not only then....  

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2254 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

any other considerations ?

at least journaling system healing itself each boot...

#2255 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:05 PM

I'm moving and upgrading my system a bit. I've been using an external eSata drive for a long time, but will ordering a new one for a new Genie install. I was planning on using the below system - anyone see any problems with the drive or the enclosure? Would appreciate any thoughts, particularly whether Purple is the right flavor of WD hard drive. I'm happy to spend more than the Green (that doesn't bother me) - I'm just wondering whether Purple is the best for the application or whether I'd be better with the Gold or Red flavors. Thanks for the input:

Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B - External 3.5" SATA III 6 Gb/s Hard Drive Enclosure - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182316

WD Purple WD40PURX 4TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Surveillance Hard Drive Bare Drive - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236659

As a side note: I don't see a reason to spring for the more expensive Purple drive (here: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236969) do you?

And by the way - I assume things haven't changed: All I need to do is plug the enclosure in the wall, unplug the Genie from the wall, plug the enclosure into the Genie, plug the Genie back into the wall, and I'm set, right? (No need to format, plug into a PC or do anything funky like that, right?)

Thank you.

Edited by oenophile, 15 November 2015 - 12:21 PM.

D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008

#2256 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25,290 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

I'm moving and upgrading my system a bit. I've been using an external eSata drive for a long time, but will ordering a new one for a new Genie install. I was planning on using the below system - anyone see any problems with the drive or the enclosure? Would appreciate any thoughts, particularly whether Purple is the right flavor of WD hard drive. I'm happy to spend more than the Green (that doesn't bother me) - I'm just wondering whether Purple is the best for the application or whether I'd be better with the Gold or Red flavors. Thanks for the input:

Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B - External 3.5" SATA III 6 Gb/s Hard Drive Enclosure - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182316

WD Purple WD40PURX 4TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Surveillance Hard Drive Bare Drive - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236659

As a side note: I don't see a reason to spring for the more expensive Purple drive (here: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236969) do you?

And by the way - I assume things haven't changed: All I need to do is plug the enclosure in the wall, unplug the Genie from the wall, plug the enclosure into the Genie, plug the Genie back into the wall, and I'm set, right? (No need to format, plug into a PC or do anything funky like that, right?)

Thank you.

I've never used anything but a Green drive since I found them several years ago.  I use the EZRX models at the moment and I've had good luck with them.  Had a 5 year old WD Green EADS (I think that's what it was) fail a month or two ago.  I'm not a fan of the Rosewill line of external devices.  I have used the ThermalTake line of docks for years.  They also make good enclosures from what I've read.

Rich

#2257 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

I've never used anything but a Green drive since I found them several years ago.  I use the EZRX models at the moment and I've had good luck with them.  Had a 5 year old WD Green EADS (I think that's what it was) fail a month or two ago.  I'm not a fan of the Rosewill line of external devices.  I have used the ThermalTake line of docks for years.  They also make good enclosures from what I've read.

Rich

Thanks for the reply. I've been using a green drive for a while and it is working fine. The purple is more expensive (which doesn't bother me much) but has more robust build - allegedly. On the enclosure, I also have been using a ThermalTake - I find the dust buildup to be sub-optimal (and their enclosures don't go above 2TB). I'll report back on the setup above.

By the way - it does look like 4TB works with the Genies, right? I've seen posts confirming but just double checking. Thanks.

D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008

#2258 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

By the way - it does look like 4TB works with the Genies, right? I've seen posts confirming but just double checking. Thanks.

I've been using this one for about a month without issues:  WD40EZRX

Edited by hdtvluvr, 18 November 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#2259 OFFLINE   hoss713

hoss713

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

I've been using this one for about a month without issues:  WD40EZRX

Ditto that.  See my earlier post in this thread - been running with this drive since September.

Hi-Def Setup:

HR44-500

4TB External SATA : WD40EZRX + Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU

Other Receivers:

HR20-700

2TB External SATA + Thermaltake Max 5 ST0021U

#2260 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25,290 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've been using a green drive for a while and it is working fine. The purple is more expensive (which doesn't bother me much) but has more robust build - allegedly. On the enclosure, I also have been using a ThermalTake - I find the dust buildup to be sub-optimal (and their enclosures don't go above 2TB). I'll report back on the setup above.

I think the TT docks will take a 3TB drive.  Never tried it, I own all my equipment and prefer internal HDDs.  But, yeah the 4TB will work internally with the Genies.

Rich

#2261 OFFLINE   STxFarmer

STxFarmer

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Just added this to my HR-44. Worked great as soon as I powered on the unit, formatted it and was up and running in a few minutes.

StarTech.com USB 3.0 eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure w/ UASP - Trayless 3.5 inches SATA III HDD Enclosure w/ USB 3.0 or eSATA (love the trayless design, just pop the drive in and close the door)

WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

Noticed already that the video is playing smooth again, no longer pausing at random times while watching tv

• P Smith likes this

#2262 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,668 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

I just moved and when I got everything settled in the new house, in my master bedroom, which has an HR24 and a 1TB eSata drive connected, I could not for the life of me get my DVR to recognize the eSata drive. At my apartment, no problem--even after power outages the DVR would reboot using the external drive. Following the move and having made sure the connection is perfect and that there is no hardware problem, I just cannot get the HR24 to boot using the external drive. It has reverted back to the stock drive. I have tried literally several dozen times but have given up. 

Any ideas as to what might be the issue here?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#2263 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

I just moved and when I got everything settled in the new house, in my master bedroom, which has an HR24 and a 1TB eSata drive connected, I could not for the life of me get my DVR to recognize the eSata drive. At my apartment, no problem--even after power outages the DVR would reboot using the external drive. Following the move and having made sure the connection is perfect and that there is no hardware problem, I just cannot get the HR24 to boot using the external drive. It has reverted back to the stock drive. I have tried literally several dozen times but have given up. 

Any ideas as to what might be the issue here?

Get a new eSATA cable.

That's usually the issue when I've had external drive problems

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#2264 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

I don't know if makes a difference, but there's an AM21 OTA tuner in the mix. I don't recall that making the connection any different, though, correct?

#2265 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

Get a new eSATA cable.

That's usually the issue when I've had external drive problems

Doctor j

So I get a new cable and tried to install it. It snapped into the drive with ease. (The old cable, BTW, was perfectly and cleanly connected to both the IRD and drive.) The IRD, however, was a problem. Try as I might, I could NOT get it connected to the rear of this receiver. After closer inspection, I noticed that the tiny black male circuit board thing that emanates or protrudes from the IRD was loose to the point where it eventually fell off. Unless this can manually be fixed, it appears eSata on this IRD is history.

#2266 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Unfortunate!

The eSATA connection be it cable or receptacle , however, was the problem

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#2267 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

Probably. All I know is that the little, black, board-like male connector fell apart.

#2268 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

call CSR and ask for a replacement

Edited by P Smith, 22 July 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#2269 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

Is a fan a requirement pretty much on an external DirecTV e-sata drive or no?

On a Motorola DVR with another provider, I used an external Oyen Digital MiniPro 2TB External eSATA. It used 2.5 drive so very compact unit.

However, in a DirecTV unit where it completely ignores internal drive, would that be too much work on such a drive, or no?

I wasn't going to connect it to my Genie, but a HR20 instead.

Thanks

#2270 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25,290 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

Is a fan a requirement pretty much on an external DirecTV e-sata drive or no?

On a Motorola DVR with another provider, I used an external Oyen Digital MiniPro 2TB External eSATA. It used 2.5 drive so very compact unit.

However, in a DirecTV unit where it completely ignores internal drive, would that be too much work on such a drive, or no?

I wasn't going to connect it to my Genie, but a HR20 instead.

Thanks

I use docks without fans for external drives (down to my last external drive on a 24-200) and have never had heat related problems. Been using docks for years.

Rich

#2271 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

I use docks without fans for external drives (down to my last external drive on a 24-200) and have never had heat related problems. Been using docks for years.

Rich

Thanks Rich

That makes sense.  I realize docks are probably cooler than mine, but a little aluminum enclosure is probably not keeping too much heat inside.  I also have to imagine it's cooler than inside the PVR too.  

When I get a new setup, I will go to docks like you, but I'll use this unit for a spare. Thanks again. 

#2272 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25,290 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Rich

That makes sense.  I realize docks are probably cooler than mine, but a little aluminum enclosure is probably not keeping too much heat inside.  I also have to imagine it's cooler than inside the PVR too.  

When I get a new setup, I will go to docks like you, but I'll use this unit for a spare. Thanks again. 

This is the dock I use.  Link.

Rich

#2273 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Is anyone having difficulty connecting eSATAs to HR24s?
I have been using external drives since HR20 was the only option, mostly without any difficulty.
Earlier this year I replaced an HR20 with a 24-200, and connected an EZRX green in a Thermaltake dock. After a brief period of operation, probably under a week, the system failed and I couldn't reconnect it. I tried replacement drives, docks and cables, all to no avail. In the meantime, my wife was accumulating recordings on the internal drive, so I shelved the project.

A few months ago, an HR24-100, which had been successfully running an EZRX for more than a year, also dropped the connection. I was away from home for much of the intervening time because of an illness in my family, but last week finally got around to dealing with the problem. At first I was able to reconnect the drive that failed, although I had not been able to do so when the problem first surfaced. But after a few days, the drive failed. The machine would try to reboot, but self-check produced an error message on the external drive. I tried a new EZRZ (blue), and an Anker dock, and a different cable, in various combinations, but the 24 refuses to accept an external drive.
I am currently running external drives on four other boxes, ranging from HR20 to HR54, without difficulty. It's curious that the two failures I've had are both HR24s.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Edited by lucky13, 08 August 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#2274 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

i WOULD TRY TO CHECK hddS INSIDE - PULL smart DATA

#2275 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

How do I check the internal drive?
The internal on the 24-200 has been functioning normally.
I will try to record a few things on the internal of the 24-100, but it didn't crash during the several weeks it was without an ESATA?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...