Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV HDTV Advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:22 PM

I have 3 co worker's who came in today and asked me the same question. All of them are currently a DirecTV subscribers.

All of them have just purchased HD Ready TV's.

All of them are looking for a HD Tuner for their TV's.

Can anone recommend some DirecTV HD Tuners to me? And if anyone can point me to any online retailers to point them too I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 01:58 PM

I have used two online Directv retailers, www.orbitsat.com and www.minidishes.com

Both delivered as promised, and as I haven't had any problems with my equipment, I haven't had to deal with them for problems. I have heard good things about the Samsung SIR-TS160. It is $699 at orbitsat (you may find better pricing elsewhere, this is just what I was able to find quickly) for existing customers. The Samsung receivers (both SD and HD) seem to be good products with many features that my Mitsubishi and RCA models don't have.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 02:00 PM

I have a sony SAT-HD100, but they don't make it anymore. I think they replaced it with the SAT-HD200. Mitsubishi also makes a receiver that one of my friends has. I think Hughes makes one also. I'm sure they are all made by Hughes anyway.

I found a couple on Amazon.com, just do a search for DirecTV and HDTV.

James

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 02:01 PM

Karl, Thanks for the quick reply, minidishes.com is not coming up (says coming soon) Any ideas on that one?

#5 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 02:02 PM

Scott,

Sorry, it is www.mini-dishes.com

I forgot the hyphen.

They have the Samsung for $579.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#6 Guest_openhouse_*

Guest_openhouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2002 - 05:23 PM

Hey everyone
http://www.americansatellite.com is a great website with HDTV

#7 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 22 December 2002 - 09:24 PM

Mini-dishes may also sell Hughes HD recv for under $500!
HarryD

#8 OFFLINE   Frapp

Frapp

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:06 AM

Originally posted by karl_f
Both delivered as promised, and as I haven't had any problems with my equipment, I haven't had to deal with them for problems. I have heard good things about the Samsung SIR-TS160. It is $699 at orbitsat (you may find better pricing elsewhere, this is just what I was able to find quickly) for existing customers. The Samsung receivers (both SD and HD) seem to be good products with many features that my Mitsubishi and RCA models don't have. [/B]

The Samsung has been on the shelf at my local Best Buy for about a month now at: $599.00 .... combine that with a 10% off coupon that B.B. regularly sends out to it`s registered customers and this price will be hard to beat.

#9 OFFLINE   AFH

AFH

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 December 2002 - 07:35 AM

Scott check out Sound Advice. They have the Hughes HD rcvr for I think $540. I have had that rcvr for a month now and it works pretty well.
HR20-700 - Connected to home network
H20-100
Slimline Dish
WB68 6x8 Multiswitch

#10 Guest_davisdog_*

Guest_davisdog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2002 - 01:18 PM

It's only for new subscribers, but magnolia hi-fi has a good in store deal on the Hughes (E86) HDTV receiver ...

$399 for the STB, Oval Dish, Installation and 3mth Free Showtime (after $100 Rebate)

#11 Guest_Done_*

Guest_Done_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2003 - 07:57 PM

fdsafdas

Protected By... spam firewall...And...