Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Leave it to the HR-20...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

So, today...I was doing my HR-20 rounds and noticed that the Series Record I had set for "Leave it to Beaver" had a circle with an X through it and an asterick by it. I can't find what those symbols mean in the manual.

Then it simply disappeared from the prioritizer and all To Do list items for the show disappared as well. The show is still in the guide and there are plenty of upcoming episodes.

I re-did the Series Record and now the HR-20 is telling me that the Series is in the Prioritizer as 14 of 13.

Did a system restart...no change. When I look at one of the shows it did record it still tells me it is Priority 14 of 13. Sounds like the same priority giving to QA at D.

Congratulations though to the D marketing group...they really got one over on me.

Yep, I know...I'm being mean...but not nearly as mean as the people that released this thing were.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Circle with Red X means that it won't record, most likely due to a conflict.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

There is a known bug of X of Y where X is surprisingly bigger than Y. This has been fixed and tested, but hasn't been released to the national public yet (read it has been sent as a Cutting Edge release, but I can't say anything more in the general HR20 forum.) Very soon it should be coming to your HR20, I hope.

You can change the conflicts by adjusting the order of the items in the prioritizer, btw. Sometimes you can even remove a conflict if an item is duplicated in the day or week. While one recording would still conflict, perhaps the duplicate will record.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

The conflict is caused by me having to pad recordings 1 min early and 1 min late because the device doesn't seem to be able to start or stop shows on time. I'll give re-adjusting the priority a try.

What does the "*" after the circle with the red X mean?

#5 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I believe the * is indicating autorecord.
Once I had it when I had an autorecord movies of certain actress :)
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Tried moving some priorities..no luck.
Tried deleting a Series Link. Now Beaver is 14 of 12.
I guess I really didn't want to record that show anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

Top 3 HR-20 Pet Peeves: 1. CIR Not Working, 2. No MRV, 3. Not Dependable.
mine would be:
[BTW 3 works for me]
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Top 3 HR-20 Pet Peeves: 1. CIR Not Working, 2. No MRV, 3. Not Dependable.
mine would be:
[BTW 3 works for me]

VOS,
I may have to re-order my list..I think you're right.

To the folks that posted in response with some helpful info...thank you.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

I seriously think that someone from the DirecTV development team should visit you, Ken. You seem to have the most trouble with the box of anyone...
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

I seriously think that someone from the DirecTV development team should visit you, Ken. You seem to have the most trouble with the box of anyone...

Tony,

Nahh...I don't really think so. Just about everything I've pointed out recently has been dealt with by others. I may be "lucky" enough to have hit a couple of shows where a lot of people, especially on this forum, don't record (kid shows).

I've been working in the computer industry for the better part of 25 years now and you just get a feel for problematic systems. For whatever reason, the HR-20 was rushed out the door before it was ready. Now I have to hope that some of the issues aren't unfeasible to fix and that D continues to work on the platform rather than just coming out with a new model. Since D's financial model really wouldn't be benefited by a new model...I'm assuming they'll continue to plug away.

The next question is does their development team have the leadership and skill to clean these things up...and will they be given the resources and time to do so even if it means putting off "revenue" producing projects. I don't know anyone on their team to say one way or the other.

By the way, they don't have to come here...they just have to read these forums or their email. My guess is there's a far better shot of their dev team coming through here than getting mail from customer service.

#11 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:14 AM

Here's your fix:

Buy the DVD.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

Tried moving some priorities..no luck.
Tried deleting a Series Link. Now Beaver is 14 of 12.
I guess I really didn't want to record that show anyway.

Just an FYI that after you change your priority list that it will take a few hours for the ToDo list to update (same as when you add a series link for the first time).

I'll give an example from my ToDo list for conflicts.

Tuesday night at 9pm 4 programs are set to record.
Dirty Jobs and Eureka.
Also at 9 is HDNet World report and Universe, both with red X. Both are picked up at later showings that night.

#13 OFFLINE   Tugboat

Tugboat

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

But leave it to Ken S to point out anything and everything that might possibly be out of whack. Ken out of your many hundreds of posts have you had one positive thing to say?

Why is that something you need to post in the open forum? Just curious? Did he attack you in a post or something? Seems like more of a PM, no? Maybe he's just unhappy that the HR20s he rents don't work?

What do you point out? Everything that is "in whack"? Stop wasting space, and if you have a gripe with his post, PM him about it.

#14 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

But leave it to Ken S to point out anything and everything that might possibly be out of whack. Ken out of your many hundreds of posts have you had one positive thing to say?

You know that sometime the Networks, NOT D, like to change start and stop of TV shows just to jack with DVR. Networks don't like DVR and are childish about start and stop times. They want you to watch their network but don't care if you are inconvienced.
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

There certainly isn't anything wrong with Ken or anyone pointing out when things don't work right. And I'd hope that he and others continue. His thread on the error 13 issues really produced some positive results on the cause. Now it's up to DirecTV to see if they can reproduce and fix.

#16 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

There certainly isn't anything wrong with Ken or anyone pointing out when things don't work right. And I'd hope that he and others continue. His thread on the error 13 issues really produced some positive results on the cause. Now it's up to DirecTV to see if they can reproduce and fix.

Keep up the good work Ken S. Thanks for your help and persistence.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#17 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Ummmmmm........that is what forums are mostly about. People posting problems and other people helping them fix the problems.

What are you supposed to post? "Everything is working great!" What good does that do?

-mk

#18 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Would you make the same comments about the handful of posters on this site that defend anything and everything that D* has ever done and every aspect of the HR20 and R15?

I value Ken S's work and posts and IMO a guy that is critical, (Wolffpack used to play that role but unfortunately, he is no longer with us) is far more valuable to the forum than the handful of posters who think everything is perfect and jump on anyone who has a negative thought.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

I'm coming to Ken's defense here. And I have publically yelled at him in the past. Since we "talked" about it, Ken has been factual but has not laid it on heavy as he has done in the past. I don't think he realized how he was coming down. He truly has had problems with the HR20 and despite his feeling that he is not out of the norm, he is as it seems every problem that has cropped up has hit him. Many of us have had very few or very minor issues but that has not been his case.

He is right. The issues reported here are the ones that will get noticed as DirecTV has obviously chosen this forum as being important to them. His complaints (especially when even-handed) will work to a better product.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Would you make the same comments about the handful of posters on this site that defend anything and everything that D* has ever done and every aspect of the HR20 and R15?

I value Ken S's work and posts and IMO a guy that is critical, (Wolffpack used to play that role but unfortunately, he is no longer with us) is far more valuable to the forum than the handful of posters who think everything is perfect and jump on anyone who has a negative thought.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If it pains you so to read this person's criticisms then maybe you should just altogether avoid reading threads started by said person.

spam firewall