Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Leave it to the HR-20...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. If it pains you so to read this person's criticisms then maybe you should just altogether avoid reading threads started by said person.

I agree completely - Ken is a real contributor to this forum. There is a big difference between people who come to the forum, and just scream about how nothing works and how some piece of equipment or some service is a load of xxxx, and people like Ken who are taking the time to look at a problem and produce really good research as to why something might not be working correctly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

Circle with Red X means that it won't record, most likely due to a conflict.

Ya, they thought "beaver" sounded dirty and did not want their machine to record it. I would guess next Big Brother "D*TV" will start filtering our ability to retain recorded programs, mainly movies.

Oh and YEA! KEN ROCKS!
DblD_Indy "Save DLB, Save the World"

DirecTV Ka/Ku 5 LNB Satellite Dish
Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Hitachi 65F59 Software Version # Main V0001.3000
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
Creative Zen Vision:M
T-Mobile G1

:nono2: "Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins". - Homer J.

#23 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

But leave it to Ken S to point out anything and everything that might possibly be out of whack. Ken out of your many hundreds of posts have you had one positive thing to say?

\

CCarncross,

If you don't like what I have to post you can ignore me. If you want to start a fight...go somewhere else...I'm not interested.

If the moderators and or owners of this forum wish me to stop posting all they have to do is ask and I'll stop.

If DirecTV wants me to stop posting they may either refund all my money for the boxes and release me from my contract...or preferably fix the problems and keep a long-time customer.

To all the folks that posted supporting me...thank you. I figured anyone that had read my stuff would have passed out from boredom long ago. Seriously, it was very nice. There are lots of helpful people in this forum...they're what make this place of great value.

#24 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

Just an FYI that after you change your priority list that it will take a few hours for the ToDo list to update (same as when you add a series link for the first time).

I'll give an example from my ToDo list for conflicts.

Tuesday night at 9pm 4 programs are set to record.
Dirty Jobs and Eureka.
Also at 9 is HDNet World report and Universe, both with red X. Both are picked up at later showings that night.

bon,

It did clean-up by today...although it went from 14 of 12 to 11 of 11 in the priority list. I'm not sure what else might have been deleted.

So, cause I was feeling brave...I re-set a real Series Record for The Wiggles (using a Double Record off the Guide).

Thanks for the help.

#25 OFFLINE   Shrunken Head

Shrunken Head

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

Hey Ken...

I agree with you that the HR-20 is a pretty feeble computer/DVR.

I'm guessing that the pressures of time, money and copy protection, drove them to this solution.

Maybe this is the best they can do within these constraints.

My HR-20 is working O.K.

Not great... but O.K.

#26 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

Top 3 HR-20 Pet Peeves: 1. CIR Not Working, 2. No MRV, 3. Not Dependable.

As I'm new to the forum, I've been trying to figure out what these mean. Obviously, I can figure out #3, but I haven't been able to figure out 1 and 2.

Thanks,
Brad

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Welcome to the forums, bradfjoh! :welcome_s

CIR is "Channels I receive"
MRV is "Multi-Room Viewing"

There are more acronyms at: http://www.dbstalk.com/acronyms.htm

How does CIR matter? The search and autorecord features will bring up selections or, worse yet, record items from ALL the channels DIRECTV has, not just the ones you receive. Alas a perfectly viable workaround would be allowing the user to apply a filter to just the channels on a favorites list. (Tho this could cause more work on the logic for grouping, retaining, and purging recordings.)

MRV is watching items from one HR20 in another room on some form of client, possibly another HR20 or future device.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#28 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forums, bradfjoh! :welcome_s

CIR is "Channels I receive"
MRV is "Multi-Room Viewing"

How does CIR matter? The search and autorecord features will bring up selections or, worse yet, record items from ALL the channels DIRECTV has, not just the ones you receive. Alas a perfectly viable workaround would be allowing the user to apply a filter to just the channels on a favorites list. (Tho this could cause more work on the logic for grouping, retaining, and purging recordings.)

MRV is watching items from one HR20 in another room on some form of client, possibly another HR20 or future device.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the response Tom. A quick point of clarification - is the problem that this is not done automatically or is there no way to manually select which channels you receive?

If it can't be done at all is this an item that is on the roadmap for change in the near future?

I can see how this would be quite bothersome.

Thanks again.

#29 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the response Tom. A quick point of clarification - is the problem that this is not done automatically or is there no way to manually select which channels you receive?

If it can't be done at all is this an item that is on the roadmap for change in the near future?

I can see how this would be quite bothersome.

Thanks again.

Way back when, D* automatically maintained the CIR on all receivers/DVRs. Back in the beginning of 2006 they ran into a problem with how their new receivers handled this and to let customers watch the channels they pay for they had to code the receivers/DVRs so that it thought customers received all channels. The access card in your receiver will still stop you from receiving what you don't pay for, but the receiver/DVR thinks you get all channels.

The Tivo DVRs allow the user to edit their own CIR listing so that's been a work around for Tivo units since the beginning but the new DVR+ units don't have this capability.

I'm pretty much sure the roapmap includes fixing the root problem with CIR as we hear reports that D* is working on it. But at this time there is no ETA on the fix and it is quite bothersome.
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#30 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

As I'm new to the forum, I've been trying to figure out what these mean. Obviously, I can figure out #3, but I haven't been able to figure out 1 and 2.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

Tom and BTO,

Are right on.

The CIR thing is very bothersome because it's also the root cause of titles of adult programming showing up in searches even when that type of programming is not subscribed and blocked with the parental controls.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...