Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

To HR20 or not!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Okay guys, I'm having the install guy come on wednesday so I need to make a decision quick. As of now I'm scheduled to get a normal Dish with the DVR unit BUT I just got that 42" 1080P Magnavox that costco was selling so I'm rethinking my DirecTV install choice.

Can someone tell me exactly how big the HD dish is vs the regular one? I only have limited windows so I dont want to clutter up the look out of my apartment.

Also, can anyone tell me if the newer HD20s are more reliable than the old ones? I was scared by that CNET user reviews! So many negative reviews from customers. Its my first time ordering satellite and any info you could point me to would be amazing!

Oh and one question, with the HD20 can I record while watching another program?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

The HR20 is much, much more stable than when the cnet reviews came out. It is a usable DVR that won't disappoint for HD quality. And it is the future for DIRECTV and the future for TV. (I won't buy an SD receiver of any type these days, even if I were to put it on an SD TV.)

The 5lnb dishes are a bit bigger. Not so much taller, but a bit wider. But this is HD we're talking about. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

can someone drop me the exact dimensions? I have a small ass apartment (I had to sell my pj because of this! *cry*) so I value the windows I do have. I just want to have an idea of what to expect.

#4 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

can someone drop me the exact dimensions? I have a small ass apartment (I had to sell my pj because of this! *cry*) so I value the windows I do have. I just want to have an idea of what to expect.

For the 5 lnb dish: 22.5" x 32.5"
For the 3 lnb dish: 18" x 20"
Trigger

#5 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

And yes, it can record two shows at once, or it can record one and watch another one live, and you can even record two shows at once and watch a third already recorded show. They'll run two lines to it, which is why you have two tuner capability.
Trigger

#6 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

I only have limited windows so I dont want to clutter up the look out of my apartment.

It really won't matter, because once you start watching TV in HD, you won't want to look out the windows anymore.....:lol:
Trigger

#7 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

Jesus thats huge. 23x32!?! I feel like I'd need a backyard for that! haha

#8 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

42" TV is huge, but it is going to look expensive if you do not have 100 HD channels from D* :)
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#9 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

42" TV is huge, but it is going to look expensive if you do not have 100 HD channels from D* :)

Yeah I want to show off my amazing TV so I might have to bite the bullet and give up one of my 3 livingroom windows haha...I have a tiny balcony off of one where they'd stick the dish. It might look absolutely nasty but....it may just be worth it.

Also, is there any way to connect these DVR units via USB and download the episodes to your computer automatically or no?

#10 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

Yeah I want to show off my amazing TV so I might have to bite the bullet and give up one of my 3 livingroom windows haha...I have a tiny balcony off of one where they'd stick the dish. It might look absolutely nasty but....it may just be worth it.

Also, is there any way to connect these DVR units via USB and download the episodes to your computer automatically or no?

nope and I doubt there ever will.. due to content provider restrictions..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#11 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt TiVO let you do this?

#12 OFFLINE   map2tricks

map2tricks

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

And yes, it can record two shows at once, or it can record one and watch another one live, and you can even record two shows at once and watch a third already recorded show. They'll run two lines to it, which is why you have two tuner capability.

My Quick background: (2) HR20-100 HD-DVR receivers installed today, and I'm still getting used to the new remote, and such..everything is looking and running great, BUT there is one key thing I have found out how to do yet...so here's my question for anyone who can help me:

I can't figure out how to pause live TV on one tuner, and then go to the other tuner to watch live TV (and pause there, too). How is this done on the HR20-100???? Please help me good people of DirecTV user land!! Thank you.

#13 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

DirecTivo's don't. DIRECTV is never going to allow us access to content without heavy restrictions.

#14 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

Yes, but not in HD. SD only if I'm not mistaken.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

My Quick background: (2) HR20-100 HD-DVR receivers installed today, and I'm still getting used to the new remote, and such..everything is looking and running great, BUT there is one key thing I have found out how to do yet...so here's my question for anyone who can help me:

I can't figure out how to pause live TV on one tuner, and then go to the other tuner to watch live TV (and pause there, too). How is this done on the HR20-100???? Please help me good people of DirecTV user land!! Thank you.

This is called "Dual Live Buffers" here, and none of the Plus DVRs have this feature. Check out the Dual Buffer thread that's sticked at the top of this page for more information.

#16 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

Yes, but not in HD. SD only if I'm not mistaken.

Aha! Okay, so I'm NOT going crazy! :) :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   rnp614

rnp614

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

So I did the deed and signed up for HD DVR service tonight...hopefully I wont regret it! :)

Does anyone know if the ESPN gameplan games are televised in HD or not? :D

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

I believe that is only done by using hacks, not official tivo software. And I dont believe you can do it on the newer S3 HD Tivo

#19 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Does anyone know if the ESPN gameplan games are televised in HD or not? :D

No, they were not last year, and they are not supposed to be this year, but next year they are supposed to be. If you are a Big-10 fan, it won't matter anyway, because the Big-10 won't be on Gameplan this year, instead on Big Ten Network.
Trigger

#20 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

I am sure you probably investigated, but is there a way you can get the dish installed on the roof?

The big dish would really be ugly covering a window or taking up a lot of space on a balcony.

Maybe it could be installed on a pole somewhere.

Think it all through before you are stuck.

-mk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...