Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Orleans HD Locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sjso395

sjso395

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

Dont know if this fits here but it was on my HR20. Anyone have problems today with D* New Orleans HD locals? All channels were coming in fine except 4 - 6 - 26 in HD. All said searching for signal. What sat are these on and transponder? Are these in Mpeg 4? I switched to OTA and had them all so it was definetly a sat problem. Their was a rainstorm but like I said, I was getting all other D* channels

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Ch 6 is having problems and D* has the "No need to call us" message displayed. The rest are fine.

As for the rain, if it's a bad storm, the mpeg-4 channels tend to go out quicker, particularly if the dish isn't properly alligned.

#3 OFFLINE   sjso395

sjso395

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Ch 6 is having problems and D* has the "No need to call us" message displayed. The rest are fine.

As for the rain, if it's a bad storm, the mpeg-4 channels tend to go out quicker, particularly if the dish isn't properly alligned.

Well thats what I was wondering. Are the New Orleans HD Locals Mpeg 4 now? If so what sat are they currently on and what transponder

#4 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Mine were down too.

We get 4,6,26 via MPEG4.

If you have 8 in HD you're using an antenna or cable. Me, I use a CM4228 for everything but 6. MPEG 4 is still too flaky for primetime for me. :)
Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,597 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

MPEG 4 is still too flaky for primetime for me. :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with MPEG4. DIRECTV has taken a novel approach to using it which may be failing you.

#6 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with MPEG4. DIRECTV has taken a novel approach to using it which may be failing you.

No, you're right... as a pure statement, there's nothing wrong with MPEG4. However, when your input to one lossy compression scheme is the output of another lossy compression scheme, you are bound to end up with output that is of questionable quality.

If the input of the MPEG4 encoders was straight from the HD-SDI output of the HD video mixing panels (via HD-SDI) just like the input to the first-line MPEG2 encoders is, then we'd be good. But... it's not.

Here in Nashville, the MPEG4 encoders are still first generation, and they're taking their input directly from the MPEG2 OTA output. All the content that isn't locally produced is given to the stations already encoded in MPEG2, delivered via either satellite, terrestrial live feed or even file transfer (FTP or similar).

So for the OTA stations, it will be rather impossible to provide the raw uncompressed data into the MPEG4 encoders so that they might do their best job with it. I know that some of the movie channels are planning to move to MPEG4 delivery, which will make it interesting. Hopefully the cable (and similar) operators will all have direct MEPG4 capabilities by then, so that they won't have to do any of this horrendous transcoding.

But unless they either completely revamp the OTA standards to include MPEG4, or somehow change the backend infrastructure to gain access to direct-MPEG4-encoded programs for the network shows, the OTA MPEG4 delivery situation will still be crappy at best, but more likely an artifact-filled mess.

#7 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

I didn't mean as a technology. I love divx. :)

I meant as a D* transmission means. My mpeg 4 Ka band tp's are in the 90's, and I lose them VERY easily due to rain fade. Most of the time, if its raining more than a drizzle, mpeg4 Ka locals are off. Its been rainy down here the past week, and they have been nearly worthless to me. MUCH more sensitive than Ku band signals.

And if you have an HR20, some of us are still having trickplay problems with mpeg4 signals.

If the national HD mpeg4's rain fade like the locals do, I am doing to look into a bigger reflector. I have an old Primestar oval dish that I use for Ku FTA on a motor, that is bigger than my slimline dish. I may try to install that to get some help with rain fade.:)
Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

#8 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

Anyone having a problem with CBS HD tonight?

Mine was in HD but it wasn't stretched for CSI: Miami

#9 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

mpeg4 channels go out ALOT quicker even if dish is aligned properly. i have 95-100 signal strengths on all sats and transponders and in a moderate rainfall....even if all other dtv channels are still going strong.......the hd locals go out so fast. i guess this is something to look forward to when they add all these new HD channels this fall. more rain fade than usual.

#10 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

Anyone having a problem with CBS HD tonight?

Mine was in HD but it wasn't stretched for CSI: Miami

The syndicated reruns of "CSI: Miami" that WWL shows at 10:35 on Saturday and Sunday nights are reruns of previous seasons, distributed to the stations that carry them in 480i.

WWL-DT presents these syndicated "CSI:Miami" reruns in upconverted "pillar-box" (4x3) format, not "stretched". What you saw was normal.

I, for one, am grateful that all our New Orleans locals chose to present SD material in it's original aspect ratio as opposed to "stretchovision".

spam firewall