Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Latest HR20 quality situation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Old Moe

Old Moe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

In a couple of months my pair of HR10s are scheduled to become obsolete in terms of picking up all the new HD channels. It seems that the forums are innundated with horror stories about HR20 problems. I was wondering if anyone has any info about the reliability of the recently manufactured HR20s. If they haven't improved substantially, I am planning to just get my HD OTA with my HR10s until my contract expires and then maybe go in another direction. Any late info on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old Moe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jclarke9999

jclarke9999

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

I've had 1 HR20 for 8 months with no issues and just ordered another recently. The recent software upgrades have made it a stable and very usable machine, in my opinion.
HR20-700 to Sony 55" HDTV via component (networked, DECA)
HR22-100 to LG 55LW5600" HDTV via HDMI (networked, DECA)
HR20-100 to Toshiba 20" via composite (networked, DECA)
HR24-200 to Sony KDL32-L5100 via HDMI (Networked, DECA)
H23-100 to Toshiba 20" HDTV via component )networked, DECA)
R16 to Zenith 26" CRT
SWM16
AU9

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have 2. One I got Nov '06 and the other replaced my HR10 in March of '07. No problems with either one.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

In a couple of months my pair of HR10s are scheduled to become obsolete in terms of picking up all the new HD channels. It seems that the forums are innundated with horror stories about HR20 problems. I was wondering if anyone has any info about the reliability of the recently manufactured HR20s. If they haven't improved substantially, I am planning to just get my HD OTA with my HR10s until my contract expires and then maybe go in another direction. Any late info on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old Moe

If whatever you get has to be perfect and absolutely bug free, go another direction (nothing else you get will meet this criteria either, but you'll probably feel better having taken a pass):)

If you get an HR20 it should do very, very well for you. I've had mine since September of last year and like it very much. It has it's quirks, and it is still in development, (which I view as a very strong asset) but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any except a person who views a DVR as "mission critical". I would not have recommended it early on to anyone but a techo-geek. Now, it should do most everyone nicely.

Of course, there are those who will never be happy with anything. If that is your tendency, then don't get an HR20.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

We have had the 1st HR20 since 1st of Dec and about a month ago got a 2nd HR20 and find the unit reliable and very stable and things like Caller ID work. Yes you can go to other service like cable but I work with a guy that has cable and their unit have their issue also. D is working very hard to make the HR20 a class act and best unit. We won't use any other service provider.
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Had mine since Nov and it now works as well or even better than any of the D*Tivo's I have had in the past. The wife even likes it, and that is saying alot. I am sure you will enjoy it as it has a great deal of new features and designed for several upcoming ones as well.

#7 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

As soon as they agree to trade up for free go for it. You may have to do 1 now and the other later so don't wait. You'll love the modern, fast interface. These things are stable now. You probably have to upgrade your dish also.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

I was in your situation a few months ago. Here's my thoughts.
Hope it's of some help.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91721

P.S. Oh, and for the record...I'm quite happy with a lot of things.

#9 OFFLINE   Old Moe

Old Moe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

In my previous post I asked if quality had improved adequately sinse the HR20 was introduced and several forum members assured me that it had. So I called the CSR and I was able to order An HR20 to replace one of my HR10s for shipping costs but was unable to get the same deal on a second unit. I guess that since this deal had to include a new two year commitment, Directv sees no reason to give a second unit for free. My question is...What have been the experiences of the forum members in getting a second HR20 for free?

#10 OFFLINE   Old Moe

Old Moe

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

[quote name='Old Moe']In my previous post I asked if quality had improved adequately sinse the HR20 was introduced and several forum members assured me that it had. So I called the CSR and I was able to order An HR20 to replace one of my HR10s for shipping costs but was unable to get the same deal on a second unit. I guess that since this deal had to include a new two year commitment, Directv sees no reason to give a second unit for free. My question is...What have been the experiences of the forum members in getting a second HR20 for free? Free HR20s

#11 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

Trust me you probably don't want to can both of your HR10's at the same time anyway. My HR10 still has to bail out the HR20's incompetence at least once a week.

The HR20 is far better than it was at introduction no doubt, but it still has a LONG way to go.

#12 OFFLINE   ez1putt

ez1putt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Old Moe

I've been a directv/sunday ticket subcriber since 1996. I didn't convert to HD until August 06 at which time I got an HR10. I had two ultimateTV dvrs before. I was of course wowed by the picture quality with the new setup but never completely fell in love with the Tivo interface as so many have. I got my first HR 20 in February of this year and my second in May. I have an installer coming this week to replace the original HR10 with a third HR 20. The first HR20 I got for free, the second I got for $120 with a $10/mo. credit on my monthly bill for 12 mos. The third one I'm getting for a $19.95 service charge.

The only problem I ever had with the HR10 was the OTA dropout issue which finally got corrected by a software update. The only problem I've had with the HR20s has been with caller ID but that seems to have been corrected by the recent software update. If it weren't for the lack of dual live buffers I would take the HR20 over the Tivo hands down. Even without the DLBs I prefer the HR20s. I just like the interface and funtionality better. I think the long time Tivo users are the ones who have a problem getting over it.

I've also read horror stories about the HR20s but I love mine. It will be a cold day in hell before I go to cable. Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...