Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Problems Pinpointed, Now What?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

I've been seeing pixelation and audio dropouts on satellite HD channels for about a week now.

Last night, I proved the problem is tied to a tuner, but I still am not sure which tuner or how to fix it.

Here's what I did.

While watching one HD channel, I noticed the problems had come back again.
I switched to another HD channel, and that channel was fine.
I ran the signal strength tests in setup and changed tuners on 110 during the tests.
I assume this somehow toggled which tuner was selected first, because when I went back to the program I was watching, it had cleared up, but when I switched to the pervious channel the other channel was now having the problems.

I was able to repeat these results over and over, pushing the problems to any HD channel I chose.

So, am I right in thinking that I forced a tuner change?

Is it a tuner issue or a BBC issue?

I am not getting any local stations in HD over the satellite, so can BBC's be removed, or do they serve other functions as well?
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

Try recording 2 HD programs at the same time and when you play them back see how your recording went.

Then you will have a better answer

Good luck

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

I've been seeing pixelation and audio dropouts on satellite HD channels for about a week now.

Last night, I proved the problem is tied to a tuner, but I still am not sure which tuner or how to fix it.

Here's what I did.

I ran the signal strength tests in setup and changed tuners on 110 during the tests.
I assume this somehow toggled which tuner was selected first, because when I went back to the program I was watching, it had cleared up, but when I switched to the pervious channel the other channel was now having the problems.

I was able to repeat these results over and over, pushing the problems to any HD channel I chose.

I am not getting any local stations in HD over the satellite, so can BBC's be removed, or do they serve other functions as well?

Yes, you can "temporarily" take the BBCs off (take them both off) and see if the problem goes away....there have been MANY BBC failures...I wouldn't be surprised. I got a new reciever and its BBC was bad out of the box (wouldn't pass any signals...looked like the tuner was bad)

By temporary, I mean, you need to get your BBCs working for the fall when the new HD comes on.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#4 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Another way to test is to do 3 channel changes. Everytime you change channels, it switches to the other tuner (if nothing is recording). For example, go to ch-73 (tuner 1), then ch-247, then ch-362, then back to ch-73 (tuner 2). :)

#5 OFFLINE   kenva

kenva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Here's what I did.

I have seen the same thing!!! It is always Sat input 1. The only way I found to tell which input is being used was disconnect one of the lines. If what I was watching continued to play then I knew I was on the other input. When ever I saw the problem it was always Sat input 1. I got a new HR20 last week and so far so good, but due to all the similar reports here all of a sudden on this issue I am still a little hesitant to call the problem solved.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

If removing the BBCs doesn't solve the problem, try a menu > reset recorder.

(Menu > Help & Settings > Setup > Reset > Reset Recorder)

DO NOT reset all...that will wipe your drive.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

The BBC function is for the new channels coming, but have nothing to do with current HD locals.
Now for testing your tuner: Every time you change channels, you swap tuners if you are not recording.
So if you have a problem with a channel, the first channel change uses the other tuner. If you pick a third channel, the original tuner is used. Now if you tune to the first channel, you are now using the other tuner from what you used the first time.
Once you know how to "pick" a tuner, you then can lock the other tuner in with a recording and continue testing with the suspicious tuner.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

hasan,
I did a reset Saturday night and thought I had it, but it turned out I was just watching the other tuner.
How do I get replacement BBC's?

mcbeevee,
I think your method would basically accomplish the same thing as mine did.
I know I've got a problem, just a question of which tuner it's on.

kenva,
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!
I never thought of simply disconnecting one or the other.

I'll try that to pinpoint which tuner is acting up, then I'll swap BBC's to see if the problems follow the BBC or if they follow the tuner.
Favorite Quotes:

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

hasan,
I did a reset Saturday night and thought I had it, but it turned out I was just watching the other tuner.

mcbeevee,

kenva,

I'll try that to pinpoint which tuner is acting up, then I'll swap BBC's to see if the problems follow the BBC or if they follow the tuner.

The BBCs are free...just call D* and tell them you have bad BBCs and they will send you some. I got mine in 3 days.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

Try recording 2 HD programs at the same time and when you play them back see how your recording went.

Unfortunately this won't prove anything, since in many cases the audio dropouts do not show up on the buffer or recordings, only on the live TV output.
How do I enable DLB for my life?

#11 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

Unfortunately this won't prove anything, since in many cases the audio dropouts do not show up on the buffer or recordings, only on the live TV output.

I've seen dropouts on HD recordings here. (OTA)

#12 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

My problem is exactly the reverse. If a channel I recorded is pixelated/ audio poor, and I go look live at the channel, it's fine.
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#13 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

I've had a similar problem but with black screens which occasionally told me which tuner had lost the signal (2, in my case). Yesterday I finally went to check signal strengths on both tuners for all sats and found that on 103 transponder 1 there was an obvious discrepency between the two tuners (83 on tuner 1, 0 on tuner 2). So you might try checking the signal strengths between the two tuners when you're having the problem and see if there are any significantly lower signals on one tuner. If so, that would be the troublesome tuner (or possibly BBC on that line, if you haven't removed them).

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#14 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

I've had a similar problem but with black screens which occasionally told me which tuner had lost the signal (2, in my case). Yesterday I finally went to check signal strengths on both tuners for all sats and found that on 103 transponder 1 there was an obvious discrepency between the two tuners (83 on tuner 1, 0 on tuner 2). So you might try checking the signal strengths between the two tuners when you're having the problem and see if there are any significantly lower signals on one tuner. If so, that would be the troublesome tuner (or possibly BBC on that line, if you haven't removed them).

I checked my signal strengths on both tuners;103 (locals) 110 (HD) seem to be identical +- 1. The only thing I haven't tried is removing the BBC's, so I'll do that next. I was trying to avoid it.:hurah:
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#15 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

Worked with it and narrowed it down to one of the BBC's.
Two new BBC's on the way.

When you start working with these things you realize that there are at least four possible points of failure: BBC, LNB, Tuner, Cable.
Favorite Quotes:

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

When you start working with these things you realize that there are at least four possible points of failure: BBC, LNB, Tuner, Cable.

Multi-switch in the dish,
any additional multi-switch,
and all connectors.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

Multi-switch in the dish,
any additional multi-switch,
and all connectors.

Are you trying to give me nightmares? :eek2:

My previous system worked for 8 years without a hitch, glitch, or twitch.
Well, almost.
E* did have to replace the DVR twice, but it was always at no expense to me, even after the contract had expired and I was just a lowly no-commitment monthly customer.
Favorite Quotes:

#18 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

hasan,

mcbeevee,

kenva,

go to directv.com/bbc and order some new BBCs

You can also hit record on any channel, then tune to the BBC test channel 499, which with an HR20 with working BBCs will tell you searching for Satellite in 1 (or 2) which means your recording is locked in on tuner 2 (or 1) respectively, and then troubleshoot from there knowing that everytime you change channels, you are dealing only with the tuner identified on channel 499. Clear as mud?
Trigger

#19 OFFLINE   techntrek

techntrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

Mud as clear.
How do I enable DLB for my life?

#20 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

That is very interesting. I've got my new box coming today or tomorrow. I'll try using the new BBCs that come with it and see if it solves the problem. Really hate to lose the CE and all my recordings by using the new box. Please post back and let us know how things go with the new BBCs. I'll do the same.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...