Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Problems Pinpointed, Now What?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

I received the new BBC's today, but haven't installed them yet.
I'll try them later tonight or tomorrow AM.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

I received the new BBC's today, but haven't installed them yet.
I'll try them later tonight or tomorrow AM.

just got my new box, but I'm just going to try the new BBCs first. First, I'll try sat1 while disconnecting the sat2 input. I'll watch for a few hours on my problem channels and then vice versa. i'll post back tonight.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#23 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

just got my new box, but I'm just going to try the new BBCs first. First, I'll try sat1 while disconnecting the sat2 input. I'll watch for a few hours on my problem channels and then vice versa. i'll post back tonight.

update: no drops yet. However, with a line coming into the sat 1 input only, when I change to channel 499, it states checking on sat2.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

update: no drops yet. However, with a line coming into the sat 1 input only, when I change to channel 499, it states checking on sat2.

If you pull a SAT feed off, the HR-20 doesn't know you did it until your reboot and it does the auto-check.
Go for the record something to pick a tuner and then check the other tuner. Then record a second program and go cancel the first [freeing up this tuner] then repeat the channel 499 test.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Installed my new BBC's this evening and the 70's seem to be working fine now.
As long D* keeps a good supply on hand, I'm happy.
Favorite Quotes:

#26 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

after some extensive testing this morning, here's my latest:

1. old box with new BBCs.
a. audio drops with both coax cables connected to sat1 input
b. no audio drops with either coax cable connected to sat2 input

2. new box with new BBCs.
a. no audio drops with either coax cable connected to sat1 input
b. no audio drops with either coax cable connected to sat2 input

I'll keep watching for another couple of hours to make sure I don't have any audio drops. Again, this is just my case, and I realize others have luck with new BBCs and the "old box". Just wasn't happening for me.

#27 OFFLINE   0x1b

0x1b

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi!
I'm new to this so hopefully I am not repeating stuff people have already tried and discounted.
I have recently had a lot of audio and pixelation problems but last night tried a different approach to solving the problem. I noticed on the Info page that the internal receiver temperature was 172 degrees. This is awfully high so I placed a fan in front of the normally closed cabinet that holds my AV equipment. After an hour, the temperature dropped to 104 degrees and the problem with Tuner 2 went away.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing that others are seeing but I thought it might help isolate the issue.

#28 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi!
I'm new to this so hopefully I am not repeating stuff people have already tried and discounted.
I have recently had a lot of audio and pixelation problems but last night tried a different approach to solving the problem. I noticed on the Info page that the internal receiver temperature was 172 degrees. This is awfully high so I placed a fan in front of the normally closed cabinet that holds my AV equipment. After an hour, the temperature dropped to 104 degrees and the problem with Tuner 2 went away.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing that others are seeing but I thought it might help isolate the issue.

could very well be. its interesting that its now summer and the issue is cropping up. my old box operated at 105 with a fan on and I couldn't seem to draw any conclusions with temperature. the new box is right around 105 as well, no issues so far.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

could very well be. its interesting that its now summer and the issue is cropping up. my old box operated at 105 with a fan on and I couldn't seem to draw any conclusions with temperature. the new box is right around 105 as well, no issues so far.

We "saw" the same thing when winter came and heaters came on with the receivers too close. "It's been working fine until....".
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

would temperature problems cause issues on all channels? my audio drops were limited to the MPEG2 channels (70-79).

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

would temperature problems cause issues on all channels? my audio drops were limited to the MPEG2 channels (70-79).

I would just say "it would cause problems" as unless you could get the temp down to the chip, it would be hard to say, but 105-126 is fine, so....????
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   FunkyMonk93

FunkyMonk93

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

From reading some of the other threads, it seems like LOTS of DTV customers are having this issue. How could all of our BBCs have gone fubar all at the same time???????

#33 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

Just wait until they light #10 and all those new HD's start breaking up.
Favorite Quotes:

#34 OFFLINE   ldmth44

ldmth44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

:welcome_s

Hi!

:flaiming :flaiming WOW!!! At that temp., you would think the unit could catch fire, or you could bake an egg on it!!:new_Eyecr Are you sure it wasn't 127 degrees? I run a 6" axial fan (120 volt, 75 cfm, purchased at Graingers for appx. $20). Keeps my HR20 at 100 degrees with no air conditioning on in my home (room temp at 85) and about 88 degrees if the ac is on (room temp at 74). Open cabinets.
HR20-700 (Optical Audio, HDMI-DVI Adapter)
AT9 5LNB Dish / DB-2 OTA Antenna
Toshiba 32-HF73 CRT/HD 1080i TV
Linksys WRT54G Router / Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem
Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook w/ Windows Vista Ultimate & Windows Media Center
Sony STR-K740P Home Theater System
XBOX 360 Game Console
Samsung DVD-P231 Player
Motorola DCT 3416 DVR (Comcast)
Harmony 880 Remote

:goodjob:
"Here's to you!"

#35 OFFLINE   0x1b

0x1b

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

ldmth44,

Yes, I was amazed and had to reload the diagnostic data multiple times to convince myself I wasn't seeing things. I believe I will be investing in that same axial fan. Thanks for the tip. Now that I have found what I believe to be the clprit for my pixelation woes on Tuner 2, I will be monitoring the problem/temperature correlation to confirm the theory. Hopefully, I won't burn the house down trying experiments!

#36 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

With a temp of 172°, I'd be a little concerned ...

I just recently got a 2nd HR20 and stacked them in my AV Cabinet. Before stacking them, the one HR20 was at 116° all the time. After stacking them, it ran at 127° all the time. I just added two USB-powered laptop chill mats on top of each (inverted, to suck the heat out from the top of the HR20 and blow it out the back), and the temp on each HR20 is now 98°.

#37 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

I thought I had it fixed with the new BBC's, but it has reared its ugly head yet again today.
My HDN recording of Arrested Development was junk.
I toggled the tuners again using an odd channel to push the problematic one and it goes wehereever I tell it to go. (Hope that makes sense).

Anyway, I pulled the new BBC's off and the problem is gone again.

However, I did notice that the BBC's are quite toasty to the touch, so I'm wondering if heat is buggering them up.

My HR20 temp is 127, but the area behind the unit is closed off, so it gets hotter around the BBC's.

I'll look at getting some air back there or making an extension for the dongles to hang them outside of the cabinet tomorrow.
Favorite Quotes:

#38 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,841 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

I thought I had it fixed with the new BBC's, but it has reared its ugly head yet again today.
My HDN recording of Arrested Development was junk.
I toggled the tuners again using an odd channel to push the problematic one and it goes wehereever I tell it to go. (Hope that makes sense).

Anyway, I pulled the new BBC's off and the problem is gone again.

However, I did notice that the BBC's are quite toasty to the touch, so I'm wondering if heat is buggering them up.

My HR20 temp is 127, but the area behind the unit is closed off, so it gets hotter around the BBC's.

I'll look at getting some air back there or making an extension for the dongles to hang them outside of the cabinet tomorrow.

The BBCs I got that were "hot or quite warm to the touch" in the open air, were defective. My new ones are warm to the touch, but certainly not hot.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   Mark_M

Mark_M

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

I've been seeing pixelation and audio dropouts on satellite HD channels for about a week now.

Last night, I proved the problem is tied to a tuner, but I still am not sure which tuner or how to fix it.

Here's what I did.

While watching one HD channel, I noticed the problems had come back again.
I switched to another HD channel, and that channel was fine.
I ran the signal strength tests in setup and changed tuners on 110 during the tests.
I assume this somehow toggled which tuner was selected first, because when I went back to the program I was watching, it had cleared up, but when I switched to the pervious channel the other channel was now having the problems.

I was able to repeat these results over and over, pushing the problems to any HD channel I chose.

So, am I right in thinking that I forced a tuner change?

Is it a tuner issue or a BBC issue?

I am not getting any local stations in HD over the satellite, so can BBC's be removed, or do they serve other functions as well?

FWIW. After putting up with audio dropouts for months on all of the HD channels in the 70s I called D* and asked them to get my problem fixed. They wanted $70 for a service call unless I had the protection plan. Signed up for the protection plan & had the tech. out to look at what was going on. The tech did basically nothing except look at the TV and he then called D* and told them I needed a replacement receiver. The replacement is in place using all my original wiring and origianl BBCs and the audio droputs and pixilation are gone.
Mark
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR24-100
Toshiba 42H81
D* customer since 1996

#40 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

FWIW. After putting up with audio dropouts for months on all of the HD channels in the 70s I called D* and asked them to get my problem fixed. They wanted $70 for a service call unless I had the protection plan. Signed up for the protection plan & had the tech. out to look at what was going on. The tech did basically nothing except look at the TV and he then called D* and told them I needed a replacement receiver. The replacement is in place using all my original wiring and origianl BBCs and the audio droputs and pixilation are gone.

same situation here, except I was still under warranty. in any case, its been 1 day without drops. I've been only watching these channels when I watch TV to make sure I don't get a drop. I'll post back if anything changes.

spam firewall