Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Its Been Awhile...Is the HR20 "Ready for Primetime" Yet???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   perilous

perilous

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:34 AM

....can some of you "summarize" the current status of this box? Last time I reviewed thoroughly, lots of bugs/glitches, etc. so I kept my HR10 Tivo box and added Calevision HD for better HD picture quality, local NYC sports in HD, plus now have Voom HD channels too!

Current quick review suggests now there are now issues with "BBC's" (apparently necessary for MPEG4 roll-out in Sept.), still no dual buffers (or definite word from D*TV as to whether that feature will EVER be added/implemented) and "hope" that all this new "capacity" will once and for all end HD-Lite.

Can anyone "convince" me that now is the time to call "retention" and get me an HR20 "deal" or should I wait and see what happens and keep my trustworthy HR10 Tivo with DLB "live" for now until all shakes out in a few months -- in other words, why do I NEED an HR20 now with all the potential headaches??? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

....can some of you "summarize" the current status of this box? Last time I reviewed thoroughly, lots of bugs/glitches, etc. so I kept my HR10 Tivo box and added Calevision HD for better HD picture quality, local NYC sports in HD, plus now have Voom HD channels too!

Current quick review suggests now there are now issues with "BBC's" (apparently necessary for MPEG4 roll-out in Sept.), still no dual buffers (or definite word from D*TV as to whether that feature will EVER be added/implemented) and "hope" that all this new "capacity" will once and for all end HD-Lite.

Can anyone "convince" me that now is the time to call "retention" and get me an HR20 "deal" or should I wait and see what happens and keep my trustworthy HR10 Tivo with DLB "live" for now until all shakes out in a few months -- in other words, why do I NEED an HR20 now with all the potential headaches??? :confused:

I changed in the spring to a HR20. It was a little hard at first to give up my HR10. I was using the HR10 as a backup, but just last week I turned it off forever and got a second HR20. The only issue I had was the hard drive went in my first HR20, but that could happen with any thing with a hard drive in it. And D* had a replacement to my house in two days. Overall, I say the box is solid and will have an interesting future with VOD coming.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:20 AM

I got two of them in September and had all the major bugs at first and with every release the boxes got much better. I have not had any major problems in 5 or 6 months. I have also had very few minor problems since. I added another HR20 in May and I will be adding one or two more. I was a long time TiVo user and I actually like the HR20 much better. I would say go for it now. Also longer you wait longer it is going to take to get one. Since the new MPEG4 HD channels are starting in September DIRECTV is going to start backing up on installs soon because people are going to want to be ready when they launch.

#4 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

I have had my HR20 for 11 days now. No reboots, and no other major problems of any kind. Go for it now (and beat the rush in Sept.).

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:48 AM

I purchased three units in the last few months. Wrote this summarizing the good and bad recently. Hope it is of some help

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91721

If you don't get an HR-20 you will not receive any of the new HD channels which are supposedly starting around September...or at the latest by the end of the year. They seem to be trying to fix the issues...and at the very worst if you get it now your two-year commitment will be up sooner if they don't.

There have been some rumors of an HR-21, but no real information on what it is or when/if it will be available.

As for your specific questions.

The BBCs appear to be necessary for the new channels. They come with each unit and more, if necessary, can be ordered from DirecTV. I'm not sure this is a huge issue...but I guess we'll all find out sooner or later :)

There are no Dual Live Buffers available on the unit and it has not been promised as a feature.

There has been no mention of how much/little compression will happen once the new satellite goes live.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

At this point if you're looking for a solid HD DVR, look no further. Most of the complaints I hear these days are about "extra features" like Media Sharing.

Just my opinion, from someone who's been living with one since 10/06.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:28 AM

+1

The HR20 is much, much better today than it was last September when I started. It isn't perfect, but it is very good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the casual user.

I would not recommend it to the perfectionist, anal-retentive, or someone who views their use of a DVR as "mission critical"...it still has some issues, and will likely continue to have various issues for quite some time to come.

Depending on how you use the HR20 these could be considered "minor" as Lamont indicates (and how I assess them as well), or "major" if the issue you experience affects something you feel strongly about.

People are all over the map with their "issues". The vast majority of people seem to be happy with how the HR20 is progressing, and its usability in its current state. Those who aren't happy, are VERY unhappy and tend to be quite vocal about it.

When you figure out how you might fit into this spectrum of the user community, you can make an informed decision on whether it's time ....or if it will ever be time, for you to make the move. Ken S. breaks down some of the issues he is experiencing nicely. If you were in his situation, could you work through it without spiking your blood pressure? The probability that all his issues would impact you in the same way is fairly low...however, if they did, could you deal with it?

If yes, then go ahead. If no, then wait or find another provider.

Because the unit isn't perfect, no one can tell you if it is "ready for prime-time". Everyone's prime-time is different. The way in which the HR20 may not be "prime-time" is what you have to be concerned about.

As for me, I'm quite pleased with the HR20 as it stands, and very optimistic about its future development. D* is working hard on its issues, feature set and overall performance. They are on a fast development cycle and they listen to the segment of the user community that is trying to help develop the box. I'm not sure what more I would ask for (but I'm sure that there are those, that no matter what they do, it will never be enough...I just don't happen to be one of them):)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

Well, I'd say it's been ready for prime time for at least 6 months now. Certainly doesn't mean there aren't problems or people with problems as every receiver out there has problems no matter how "ready for prime time" it is. But overall it's very solid now and works great for most people.

Your decision is actually pretty simple: If you want to continue with DirecTV and get the new HD (and eventually all HD from the sats) then the HR20 is your only choice.

#9 OFFLINE   lman

lman

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

It would be ready for prime time if it had DLB. It currently is inferior to my previous DirecTivo since it lacks this feature along with 30 second skip. It seems that DirecTV is catering to the advertisers instead of their customers.

#10 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Well, I'd say it's been ready for prime time for at least 6 months now. Certainly doesn't mean there aren't problems or people with problems as every receiver out there has problems no matter how "ready for prime time" it is. But overall it's very solid now and works great for most people.

Your decision is actually pretty simple: If you want to continue with DirecTV and get the new HD (and eventually all HD from the sats) then the HR20 is your only choice.

+1

I can't say that I've ever had any major issue with either of my HR20's. A few minor, isolated irritants here and there, but nothing that was a recurring problem.

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Lack of DLB doesn't make it not ready for prime time. It's simply a design descision.

#12 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

I was nervous to drop my HR10 and decided to take the plunge to the HR20 only because of the new sattelite going up and the 100+ channels that can only be pulled down on the new HR20's MPEG4 circuitry.

My reaction after the first six weeks?

I was stupid to wait so long. The HR20 is actually better than the HR10 in many ways. There are no "headaches". To me, losing the dual buffer and gaining faster menus, MPEG4 RSN's, and the phenomenal native mode is a tradeoff that slants heavily in the HR20's favor.

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#13 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

I had one of the first HR10s in the country. Added a second one about two years ago. I dragged my feet, following the trials and troubles of early adopters of the HR20s.

Had two of the 100s units installed two weeks ago just ahead of the launch. While it takes some getting used to because of the differences -- I actually have to think about what I want to do rather than rely on muscle memory -- I think the new units are great. Nothing mechanical is flawless, but these guys are more than a match for the TiVo, IMO. Dual buffers don't outweigh the new features for me.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#14 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

Lack of DLB doesn't make it not ready for prime time. It's simply a design descision.

I agree. I've never seen anything from DirecTV that stated it would ever have DLBs.

#15 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

If you need to be "convinced" then you're not ready for the HR20.

#16 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

If you need to be "convinced" then you're not ready for the HR20.

Well, just in case he does:

September 16, 2007 - HR10 Owner - 14 HD Channels, 14 by December 30.

September 16, 2007 - HR20 Owner - 40 HD Channels, 100 by December 30.

The move is inevitable. Waiting makes no sense.

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#17 OFFLINE   stiffi

stiffi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

I've had mine for a month, and I love it. No problems (knocking on wood) to speak of yet with the box. I prefer it over the HR10-250 for a lot of reasons, but the kicker for me was locals in HD over satellite. If you are in a market that has locals in HD, I can't see any reason to wait.

Oh and the dual live buffers, for pete's sake, get over it. :nono2:

#18 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

I upgraded/converted 3 months ago and have been very happy since. While some minor issues still exist for me, the basic function of recording what I want when I want it is solid.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#19 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

Yes - Ready for primetime. And morning talk shows. And mid-day soaps. And weekends ...

#20 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,856 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

It doesn't make coffee or give massage, either. I guess it's time to return my HR20 and ask for a refund.:)

It's hard not to respond to the DLB drum....an unpromised feature from a totally different receiver and it's been beaten to death. I've almost gone from the point of wanting it, to hoping they never do it. Now, that's a bad attitude.:D

Tongue in cheek, folks, don't blow a blood vessel. Being a sports fan, I'm sure it would be nice.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

Protected By... spam firewall...And...