Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Its Been Awhile...Is the HR20 "Ready for Primetime" Yet???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

It would be ready for prime time if it had DLB. It currently is inferior to my previous DirecTivo since it lacks this feature along with 30 second skip. It seems that DirecTV is catering to the advertisers instead of their customers.

This just goes to prove HASAN's point. For Iman, the hr20 isn't ready for prime time. For me, I never used DLB on my previous hr10 and don't use it now on either of my hr20s. For me, the hr20 has all the features that I need, but there are a few that I would like to have. If D* ever enables the hr20s to talk to each other so that you could program and retrieve recordings from any of multiple dvrs, that would be heaven for me. As it is now, I split my recordings between the two hr20s. I use box 1 for NBC, FOX, and HBO. I use box 2 for CBS, ABC and Showtime.
Any other recording go to whichever box I am using at the time. This helps to prevent double recordings, except for very special events, in which case I record on both boxes for safety's sake. I haven't really needed this redundancy for quite some time, but with my luck, the one time I don't do it will be the time I get a BSD.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   perilous

perilous

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

If you need to be "convinced" then you're not ready for the HR20.

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me with your value-added insight :lol:

To the rest of you...sincere thanks for good info and overview of the current situation...it looks like I'll have to move on this soon :)

#23 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

I've had mine for a month, and I love it. No problems (knocking on wood) to speak of yet with the box. I prefer it over the HR10-250 for a lot of reasons, but the kicker for me was locals in HD over satellite. If you are in a market that has locals in HD, I can't see any reason to wait.

I am in a market that has HD locals, but one question I have is with regard to Locals... Which Locals do you get? Are they the same no matter what market you're in? I thought I remember that PBS was not in High-Def??? If all of the locals are on satellite is there a reason to keep OTA???

I get fantastic OTA reception now. If I should keep OTA (for whatever reason) Is the setup with this box the same as it is with the tivo box?

TIA

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

I am in a market that has HD locals, but one question I have is with regard to Locals... Which Locals do you get? Are they the same no matter what market you're in? I thought I remember that PBS was not in High-Def??? If all of the locals are on satellite is there a reason to keep OTA???

I get fantastic OTA reception now. If I should keep OTA (for whatever reason) Is the setup with this box the same as it is with the tivo box?

TIA

It depends on the market. Normally you will get the 4 major networks for local HD (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox). Some markets are missing one or more of these networks due to incomplete negotiations with the local stations.

You should get most of the other local channels in SD, but in most cases HD does not include PBS.

There are several reasons to consider keeping OTA. First, you get all of the subchannels that you do not get through DirecTV. Second, some people feel the ota HD transmission is higher quality than that through satellite. Third, OTA remains during weather outages that block the satellite signal.

Carl

#25 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

TIA

Put your zip code here and it will tell you what you get: http://www.directv.c...?assetId=900018

OTA works fine with the HR20. I have OTA hooked up as DirecTV doesn't carry my NBC (owned by LIN :mad: ) nor do they carry subchannels.

#26 OFFLINE   L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

There are several reasons to consider keeping OTA. First, you get all of the subchannels that you do not get through DirecTV. Second, some people feel the ota HD transmission is higher quality than that through satellite. Third, OTA remains during weather outages that block the satellite signal.

Carl

I can vouch for the "better quality" It isn't real noticeable, but OTA does look a little cleaner and color vibrant.....a little.

Questions:

Can the HR20 receive all the subchannels? Edit: Didn't see Bonscott's pos. You said it too! I need to slow my reading down!

In regards to the before mentioned quality, will that diminish if you pipe the OTA through the HR20? Is it better just to let the TV's tuner handle em?
Scott

Slimline 3/SWiM

Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000
HR34-700 via HDMI, Whole Home, Native On, 480p, 720p, 1080i
2 TB external eSATA
Harmony 700

Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
HR20-700 via Component (Damn HDCP!), Whole Home, Native On, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
OTA

Hooked to regular TV's:
HR20-700, Whole Home, patiently waiting for a new TV!
2 R16-300's (1 SlingBoxed)
1 D12 standard receiver

#27 ONLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,690 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Can the HR20 receive all the subchannels?

This all depends on your area. The HR20 doesn't scan for OTA yet, so it only get's what is programmed into the D* guide, but it generally get's the subs OTA.

In regards to the before mentioned quality, will that diminish if you pipe the OTA through the HR20? Is it better just to let the TV's tuner handle em?

I can't tell the difference between OTA via the HR20 and TV tuners.

#28 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

At this point if you're looking for a solid HD DVR, look no further. Most of the complaints I hear these days are about "extra features" like Media Sharing.

Just my opinion, from someone who's been living with one since 10/06.

Ditto.

Been living with it since 9/2006 and I say jump in, the waters great!

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

Protected By... spam firewall...And...