Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Optical from HR20 to receiver. NO sound

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ronder

Ronder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

I was doing my finial cable organizing yesterday and the Optical cable going from he HR20 into the receiver kept falling out at the receiver end. Did not think to much about it till I noticed that the BLack plastic piece on the end of the cable Posted Imagewas staying in the receiver. So my last step was to insert the round optic into the Black piece (it is all the way, as it is in like the cable from the dvd) and thinking that would be OK, fired the system up. Well no sound comes from the HR20 to the receiver! The TV has sound coming from the HDMI cable.

To me. I have a bad optical cable, if for no other reason than the plug is falling apart.

Any other ideas before I exchange the Cable (45 mile drive)?

Thanks,

Ron
Mitsubishi 65733

Direct TV- Slimline. HR20-700, Choice xtra plus
Harman Kardon Reciever
Energy Speakers
Harmony 880 Remote

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

watch out for the little door beaking to.. I had one of mine fall off and get stuck in there.. you should be able to see the little red light..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   spamstew

spamstew

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

I don't think you have an issue with your cable. I had the same issue with my optical cable connection on my Sony Receiver. The coverplate snapped off so the cable cannot make a secure connection.

Attached Files

My Setup
D* Since 2004

#4 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

I was doing my finial cable organizing yesterday and the Optical cable going from he HR20 into the receiver kept falling out at the receiver end. Did not think to much about it till I noticed that the BLack plastic piece on the end of the cable was staying in the receiver. So my last step was to insert the round optic into the Black piece (it is all the way, as it is in like the cable from the dvd) and thinking that would be OK, fired the system up. Well no sound comes from the HR20 to the receiver! The TV has sound coming from the HDMI cable.

To me. I have a bad optical cable, if for no other reason than the plug is falling apart.

Any other ideas before I exchange the Cable (45 mile drive)?

Thanks,

Ron

but either was I had the same issue. Got a new HR20 the next day and it's fine.
Do yu see a red light on the other end when it's plugged in the the HR20? If not you port might be dead.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

Don't drive 45 min. get them from monoprice.com. Dirt cheap and high quality

#6 OFFLINE   Ronder

Ronder

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the imput. Been to busy to 'go back there' and look at the issue in depth. But the darn thing was working before I notice the optical cable falling out.

If I was to guess I would say that 'something' is not letting the cable connect to the receiver, ie, the 'door thin'. But I will look to see if I see the red light coming from the HR20 too.

Well post my findings.

Thanks,

Ron
Mitsubishi 65733

Direct TV- Slimline. HR20-700, Choice xtra plus
Harman Kardon Reciever
Energy Speakers
Harmony 880 Remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...