Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP Remote Party Trick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

Ok... so I started seeing the "Remote Battery Low" message on the screen a few weeks ago... not all the time, just if I was pressing several keys in succession for something. So I went out and bought some new batteries (had no AAA in the house).

Before taking out the batteries, I paused my live TV so I wouldn't miss anything while I was fumbling with the remote.

I took out the batteries and disposed of them... and then just on a lark, decided to point it at the TV (no batteries inside) and unpause the TV. Sure enough, it unpaused. Try this with your friends and impress them with the remote that requires no batteries!

Ok.. so I know technically why that worked with no batteries. Just enough residual charge, probably in a capacitor somewhere, to allow one keypress after the batteries were removed. That didn't surprise me. What did surprise me... No low battery message on the screen! With batteries inside, I got the message... without batteries and running on residual charge no message.

Curious.. made me wonder just how accurate that message was after all.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

I took out the batteries and disposed of them... and then just on a lark, decided to point it at the TV (no batteries inside) and unpause the TV. Sure enough, it unpaused. Try this with your friends and impress them with the remote that requires no batteries!

Especially good for the easily entertained!:lol:

#3 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Did it hold the codes for the other equipment buttons or are you using them? That capacitor is probably to hold the memory while the batteries are out! If you discharg it, the remote might lose the other equipment remotecodes.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

Did it hold the codes for the other equipment buttons or are you using them? That capacitor is probably to hold the memory while the batteries are out! If you discharg it, the remote might lose the other equipment remotecodes.

Hadn't thought of that possibility... but I don't use my remote to control anything but the Dish receiver. I'm a remote-junkie... I have all my remotes in a row on my coffee table and use the one that came with each device rather than the universal remote route.

#5 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

The 'battery low' message is a conspiracy between Charlie and batt mfrs to sell more batteries. :P

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Packy

Packy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

You should all be using rechargeable batteries anyway. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

I tried it with my 942's IR remote (that gives the low battery warning) and replicated HDMes results. It only worked 1 time, and after putting the same (low battery) cells in, all my preprogrammed codes were still intact. Of course, I still get the low bat warning. But it is a good trick

Miner

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

I guess that means the remote codes are stored in some sort of non-volatile memory... nice to know.

I still think the most interesting part of the trick is that you don't get the low battery warning when you take the batteries out... but you get it when you put them back in! :)

#9 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

I guess that means the remote codes are stored in some sort of non-volatile memory... nice to know.

I still think the most interesting part of the trick is that you don't get the low battery warning when you take the batteries out... but you get it when you put them back in! :)

Instead of "low battery" warning, you should get "no battery" warning!:lol:

spam firewall