Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone using a workgroup switch with there hr20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cobra

Cobra

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

trying to hook up my hr20 using a workgroup switch instead of a router, but my viiv program wont recognize it, but the hr20 says the network/internet are ok when I run the test. Also, when running the workgroup switch, I have trouble surfing the internet, keeps disconnecting, just curious if anyone has tried this particular setup
HR21-200/AM21 connected HDMI 1.4 through Harmon Kardon 254 receiver to Panasonic TC-P54G25
connected to internet and networked
Pioneer 051FD Bluray player
H20 connected to Mitsubishi via Component
D11-100 receiver connected Coaxial

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:43 PM

What particular switch?

A lot of us are using different hubs/switches in our network setups.

Is this specific to the latest CE version that you are having problems? (aka did it work with the national release) ?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Cobra

Cobra

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

sorry, forgot to add that, its a linksys 10/100, just tried hooking it up today, so I dont think its ce related, I did download the latest ce friday night
HR21-200/AM21 connected HDMI 1.4 through Harmon Kardon 254 receiver to Panasonic TC-P54G25

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

How is it all hooked up? I have mine: dsl>router>24 port switch
works fine.

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   Cobra

Cobra

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

I am not using a router, dsl-modem-swich then one line to the computer and one to the hr20.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

sorry, forgot to add that, its a linksys 10/100, just tried hooking it up today, so I dont think its ce related, I did download the latest ce friday night

I'm using a LinkSys 5 port behind my HR20. It has the HR20, a network printer and a Wireless Access Point plugged into it, and is stacked to an 8 port switch with a CAT5 run to the basement. All in all I have the 4 port switch on the router to the 8 port switch then upstairs to the 5 port switch. All linksys 10/100's.

HR20 works fine in this configuration. I'm using static IP's throughout my network.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   Cobra

Cobra

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

also, do I need to change my internet settings under properties, do I need to bridge the connections?

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

What model "switch" and "router" do you have..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#9 OFFLINE   darklight

darklight

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

It sounds like he has a Linksys Workgroup Switch with Computer, HR20 and DSL Modem connected and no router. If this is the case, connection sharing will need to be enabled on the computer for this setup to have any kind of success, and for his sake I hope the computer is either a Mac or a severely locked-down PC.
DTV Gear: HR-20, R15
HDTV: Sony Grand Wega KDF-50WE655 50", HDMI
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Speakers: Yes

#10 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

Is the dsl modem/switch doing DHCP or are you using staic IP's?
Have you compared the Ip settings on the HR20 to those on the PC to make sure that the numbers are compatible and matching?

Are you sure the modem/switch isn't also a router?

If not, then you're probably on a PPOE system with your provider and it's designed for a single node (the computer).
You'll need to set the modem up in bridge mode or ask your ISP for a newer modem that uses DHCP instead.

Post the make and model of the dsl modem and the name of the ISP.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#11 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

If I understand correctly you have a DSL Modem that is connected directly in to the Workgroup Switch From there your PC and the HR20 are also connected to the switch.

Assuming this is correct and you haven't done any kind of configuring of anything else the problem is that the DSL Modem will only dish out one IP Address and usually when it does it will "Lock On" to the device that it assigned it to until you power cycle the modem.

With that in mind any other device like the HR20 isn't getting an assigned IP Address. This could also explain why you are having issues accessing the Internet on occasion.

As previously mentioned you could do connection sharing but you would have to had a second network card in the PC to accomplish that. One card would connect to the DSL Modem and the other to the Workgroup Switch. From there you would turn on Internet Connection Sharing which would turn your system in to a Router, DNS and DHCP Server.

You are seriously asking for trouble if you do not have some kind of router or firewall in between your DSL Modem and Switch. I would suggest you run don't walk out and get one immediately. With your current set up all of your systems on your network are completely exposed to the Internet and all the little nasties that are out there. Granted if you are running Windows XP and have their built in Firewall turned on that does offer some level of protection but it is certainly not something that I would rely on.

Pick up any kind of Router / Firewall that is on sale at your local Electronics Store or order one from someone like New Egg no matter what the name (obviously a brand name one would be preferable). It will isolate you from the Internet and also act as a DHCP Server for all your other devices on your network. This will resolve a lot of issues and offer a level of protection that can not be achieved with your current configuration.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#12 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:15 AM

That's correct, if you don't have a router, you badly need one.

For less than 50 bucks you can get a Linksys wired router BFR41, which is what I use. If you want wireless, and hardwired combined, you can get he same Linksys in wireless version for very little more.

Do yourself a favor (a very big favor), get the router and do it right...otherwise you are going to spend a lot of time chasing your tail, and exposing yourself to intrusions in the mean time. Without a router (or other arrangements) you are AT RISK, and you don't have any where near the functionality that your network should be providing.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#13 OFFLINE   astrotrf

astrotrf

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

trying to hook up my hr20 using a workgroup switch
instead of a router, but my viiv program wont recognize it, but the hr20 says the network/internet are ok when I run the test. Also, when running the workgroup switch, I have trouble surfing the internet, keeps disconnecting, just curious if anyone has tried this particular setup

A switch doesn't actually do anything except forward network packets. It understands which addresses are connected to which ports (MAC addresses, not IP addresses, but that's a technical difference only at this level) and forwards traffic only to the ports that need to see it. (One thing this means is that if you have two computers exchanging data, your DSL "modem", assuming you have one, would not even see this traffic. Using a hub instead of a switch would mean that everybody sees all of the traffic and has to reject the traffic it doesn't want.) Note well, however, that a switch only filters traffic by address and not by content, so malicious traffic will still get through -- hence the need for a firewall/router.

A switch is therefore invisible to the host computer's software, so your "viiv program" does not need to recognize it (and, in fact, couldn't tell it was there even if it wanted to).

Unless the switch is defective, it is also not the cause of your Internet disconnects. You state later on that this is a Linksys switch; I've not had any real trouble with Linksys switches, though Linksys routers raise my blood pressure significantly. (In truth, I simply require routers with more intelligence than Linksys provides.)

Others have pointed out, quite correctly, that you really should have a router between your computers and the Internet. I've used a Linksys BEFSR81 successfully (and it has a switch built in, so you won't need yours), but it absolutely needs to have the latest firmware, else it will pollute your local network with giant bucketloads of useless (and incorrect) housekeeping traffic. If you want to go wireless, a Linksys WRT54G is worth looking at (it pollutes my local network with useless and incorrect traffic, too, but at least it confines itself to doing this once every 10 minutes).

#14 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

You are seriously asking for trouble if you do not have some kind of router or firewall in between your DSL Modem and Switch.

Not really.
No offense, but you almost sound like a "Network Security Consultant" ;)

Many, many home users connect to cable and DSL directly from the modem.
I know of several that have been connected that way for several years and have had zero problems.
In these cases the modem will use PPPOE and NAT to mask the connected PC from the Internet.

If dynamic adressing is used, then there will typically be a router built into the modem to provide client configuration and firewall services, including NAT.

It's not like some hacker is going to log on and see your PC sitting there begging to be pillaged. All that shows to the net is the WAN IP, a ping or port scan, if not straightforwardly refused, will return the modem IP and not much else.

To the OP:
If you are using a PPPOE modem, you'll have trouble getting a router to work properly without re-configuring the modem to bridged mode.
Your ISP or the manufacturer of the modem can usually help with this, and it's OK; but you'd be far better off to request that they (the ISP) switch you to dynamic addressing and send you an updated modem. In all likelihood, the new modem will have routing functionality built-in. If not, you can easily add a $50 router and have it going in minutes.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...