Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will recording to DVD from the HR20 keep true DD sound?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

On the weekend, HDNET movies aired The Blues Brothers in glorious high def and DD 5.1.

I've seen this movie a million times on various VHS and DVD releases, but someone treated this restoration as their pet project. The sound is simply amazing on the music numbers.

Anyway, I would like to record this to DVD, knowing I may lose a little bit of the video resolution outputting to 480.

I'm just wondering if the true Dolby Digital Signal will still be passed through onto the DVD or will I lose some of the audio "pureness" of the signal as well?

thanks

P.S. I'll buy a round of Orange Whips if someone can help me out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,720 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

On the weekend, HDNET movies aired The Blues Brothers in glorious high def and DD 5.1.

I've seen this movie a million times on various VHS and DVD releases, but someone treated this restoration as their pet project. The sound is simply amazing on the music numbers.

Anyway, I would like to record this to DVD, knowing I may lose a little bit of the video resolution outputting to 480.

I'm just wondering if the true Dolby Digital Signal will still be passed through onto the DVD or will I lose some of the audio "pureness" of the signal as well?

thanks

I'm not sure if I'm into whips [& chains?], but what does your DVD recorder have for audio inputs? Optical or digital coax? "RCA" isn't going to make it for you.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'm not aware of any consumer DVD Recorders that will record DD5.1 audio. Your DVD will record 2-ch PCM audio which still sound quite good.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,852 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm not aware of any consumer DVD Recorders that will record DD5.1 audio. Your DVD will record 2-ch PCM audio which still sound quite good.

Which many modern receiver can matrix out to a very nice sound...so yes, it can sound very, very good, DD 5.x notwithstanding.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:25 AM

Good point, hasan.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

"Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!"

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

-John Candy, "The Blues Brothers", 1980. Now playing in HD on HDNet Movies.

I record 2-channel analog audio on my DVD recorder, and with the receiver set to Dolby Pro Logic IIx, I get very acceptable surround. Not as good as 5.1 but acceptable.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   JLynn73

JLynn73

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:02 PM

DD+ can push up to 30X the data as the DD 5.1 can.

you wont get this through a toslink, you'll get a seperate DD 5.1 channel.

I dont think theres any lossless audio content out there right now to matter though.

#9 OFFLINE   MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

I have also seen this a million times and just watched it on HDNET with my 1 1/2 year old. We both loved it! Great version.

I also for the first time realized that Steven Spielberg is in it. Never noticed that before.

spam firewall