Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost HD Channels...Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

On 7-9-07 I posted my problem about the loss of HD channels 70-79 on an H20 and a Philips DSH800 after having a new Slimline 5LNB dish installed. The installer said these receivers were faulty and needed to be replaced but did no trouble shooting of any kind to confirm his rather astonishing conclusion that two receivers failed exactly at the same time after installing a new dish. He said he would return the following day with new receivers but he was a no show. Several days passed with no word from him so I called D* for service and today, two weeks after the first installer darkened our doorway, a tech was scheduled to fix this problem sometime today between 1 and 5. The tech called about 5:30 and said it would be another 10 days before he could come here....too busy today. He had enough time to ask about the problem and I told him what I knew and mentioned several things the previous installer did that convinced me he was not qualified for his job.....for example he said the new HR20 I had ordered could not receive OTA channels, he even called his boss to confirm it after I disagreed with him. When the previous installer asked me what kind of mult-switch we had and I said I didn't know he said he didn't need to look at it because it had to be a 6X8. Well, he was wrong about that too of course...I looked a few days ago and it's a 4X4. When I told the tech calling on the phone about that he said, "....Bingo...that's the problem, the 5LNB dish isn't compatible with 4X4 multi-switches...". So, at least there is some hope that this guy knows what he is doing...he certainly sounded like he knows what he is talking about......then again so did the first installer that left us high and dry two weeks ago. However, I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact that the Tech on the phone this evening is from a different company, Mastec, and not Advanced Technologies, the company that was here two weeks ago. Does this opinion about the 4X4 multi-switch being the problem and correctable with a 6X8 switch sound like a winner? He said he would try to get a tech here to install the 6X8 switch within the next few days.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

yes and no, [sorry]
Yes the Zinwell WB68 multi-switch is what you need, but not for the HD in the 70s, more for local HD and the new HD coming.
Now if you can: go to the multi-switch and find barrel connectors to bypass the multi-switch. If you can get even one coax connected to the dish directly, this should show if the receiver is working correctly. If it works, then you do know there is something wrong with your multi-switch, or a cable running from it to your dish.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

yes and no, [sorry]
Yes the Zinwell WB68 multi-switch is what you need, but not for the HD in the 70s, more for local HD and the new HD coming.
Now if you can: go to the multi-switch and find barrel connectors to bypass the multi-switch. If you can get even one coax connected to the dish directly, this should show if the receiver is working correctly. If it works, then you do know there is something wrong with your multi-switch, or a cable running from it to your dish.

Well, I'm not able to fiddle with it anytime soon. I'll wait for installation of the 6X8 and then see where we stand. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks,

VR

#4 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

i would try bypassing the multiswitch in the meantime with barrel connectors to get your service to the hd receiver unless the tech screwed up there too
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

yes and no, [sorry]

Today, 15 days later after the original loss of HD channels 70-79, the same technition who wrongly assumed our multi-switch was a 6X8 returned to the scene of the crime and replaced the old 4X4 Channel Master switch with a new Zinnwell 6X8 and now we have HD channels 70-79 again( plus all the regular standard def and locals plus HD locals, none of which were a problem before). He did nothing else, just installed the 6X8 and it wasn't necessary to set-up the receivers again. So, I'm confused, as usual. If a 6X8 switch has nothing to do with getting channels 70-79 then what might explain our now getting those channels with a 6X8 in place?

Thanks,

VR

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

Today, 15 days later after the original loss of HD channels 70-79, the same technition who wrongly assumed our multi-switch was a 6X8 returned to the scene of the crime and replaced the old 4X4 Channel Master switch with a new Zinnwell 6X8 and now we have HD channels 70-79 again( plus all the regular standard def and locals plus HD locals, none of which were a problem before). He did nothing else, just installed the 6X8 and it wasn't necessary to set-up the receivers again. So, I'm confused, as usual. If a 6X8 switch has nothing to do with getting channels 70-79 then what might explain our now getting those channels with a 6X8 in place?
Thanks,
VR

IF this was your switch: http://www.solidsign...oom=Large#xview
It works for SAT "A" & "B" and channels 70-79 are from SAT "C".
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

IF this was your switch: http://www.solidsign...oom=Large#xview
It works for SAT "A" & "B" and channels 70-79 are from SAT "C".

The switch in your link is the exact match to our old 4X4. So, I guess the guy who told me this switch was not compatible with the new 5LNB dish was correct as far as reception of channels 70-79. The 4X4 worked fine receiving 70-79 with our old 3LNB dish.

VR

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

The switch in your link is the exact match to our old 4X4. So, I guess the guy who told me this switch was not compatible with the new 5LNB dish was correct as far as reception of channels 70-79. The 4X4 worked fine receiving 70-79 with our old 3LNB dish.
VR

I don't know "the why" as the control signals for the LNBs are the same, but....now it works [and will for the new HD channels coming soon too].
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall