Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question ... HR20 Fast Forward Acting Strange

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Just noticed this happening of late ...

On certain shows (which, so far, seem to be record from OTAs), when I hit the FF button, I cannot go any faster than 1X ... when I try to go 2X or 3X, the DVR starts the show over from the beginning and the HR20 simply *will not* allow me to FF any quicker.

However, this doesn't happen on all of my recorded shows ...

For example, the wife records THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW ... she can only go forward 1X speed. I go to watch SWINGERS (recorded from Starz!) ... and I can FF @ 3X and beyond.

Anyone seen this before?

I have an HR20-100 running x168 ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,551 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

Had this happen with Sunday night's recording of Big Brother After Dark on Showtime Too. HR20 would bring up the "Keep or Delete" menu if I tried FF faster than 1x, or tried to 30-sec skip. If I selected "Keep" and restarted Playback, it would start over from the beginning. I've never seen this behavior before with any other recordings, just this one.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

... bump ...

Anyone else had this happen?!?

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,551 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

Must not be a common problem. I haven't had it happen except for that one recording.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

Mine happens all the time now on anything recorded from a BROADCAST NETWORK, OTA or not. CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX all exhibit this problem.

Uggggggh.

#6 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hate to bump this thread *AGAIN* since it's been so popular, but I was hoping after the CE download last night it might resolve my issue. Unfortunately, it didn't.

The problem is isolated to ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS via the satellite. OTA channels for these same networks work fine. This happens on LIVE TV and RECORDED Shows on these channels.

If I hit REW at any point, the show starts over from the beginning. If I try to FF at any speed greater than 1X, the show starts over from the beginning.

The problem *doesn't* exhibit itself on any other channels ... just the network feeds from DirecTV.

Would a RESET (not a RBR) do any good?!? I assume it won't b/c I figured a software download and refresh does some sort of reset.

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

JDW, I've never seen this problem, and it's mysterious that it occurs on the sat locals but not on the OTA locals.

When you record the sat locals, are you recording off your HD locals or the SD locals? Maybe you should try a test of the same program on SD and HD to compare results.

At first I thought it was an issue with how long you held REW or FFW, because if you press and hold these keys, you jump back or forward to a tick mark. However, you're going all the way back to the beginning, which is the same result as REPLAY being held for three seconds.

As you say, your box rebooted on its own after the software upload, so another reboot likely won't help. I'm sorry I can't think of anything else to help here ...

#8 OFFLINE   JDW

JDW

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

When you record the sat locals, are you recording off your HD locals or the SD locals? Maybe you should try a test of the same program on SD and HD to compare results.

We only have SD locals available from DirecTV @ this point. The only HD signal for locals I'm getting is via OTA and the problem doesn't exhibit itself there.

At first I thought it was an issue with how long you held REW or FFW, because if you press and hold these keys, you jump back or forward to a tick mark. However, you're going all the way back to the beginning, which is the same result as REPLAY being held for three seconds.

I've tried just holding down the keys during a FF, but it never goes past 1X. At once I try to go faster than that, it restarts the program @ 0:00. If I try to REW at all, it restarts.

As you say, your box rebooted on its own after the software upload, so another reboot likely won't help. I'm sorry I can't think of anything else to help here ...

:( :( :(

I've kept the thread alive for almost a week now and no one seems to have run across this before. I guess it's time to let it die.

Thanks for the responses though ...

spam firewall