Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help setting up wireless

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fpd917

fpd917

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I have wireless DSL in my home via a apple airport extreme. I am running 2 Macs off of it, plus my iPhone. I had been using my linksys ethernet bridge, WET11 model for my playstation 2, and now I want to connect it to my HR20. I connected it to the HR20 and tried to set it up, and when it gets to internet connection, it says failed. What am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Sony KDF-E42A10
HR20-700
Samsung HT-X50 Home Theater System
Apple iPhone 3G(8 GB)
Apple iMac/Aluminum with Intel Core 2 Duo 20 inch
Apple ibook
Apple ipod video (30 GB)
Apple ipod shuffle
Apple Airport Extreme
Apple Airport Express connected to Home Theater
MyBook Premium Hard Drive (500GB)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   superchief

superchief

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

I have wireless DSL in my home via a apple airport extreme. I am running 2 Macs off of it, plus my iPhone. I had been using my linksys ethernet bridge, WET11 model for my playstation 2, and now I want to connect it to my HR20. I connected it to the HR20 and tried to set it up, and when it gets to internet connection, it says failed. What am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Howdy,

Do you have DHCP set up on the Extreme, or did you statically-address the other devices?

As I recall the HR-20 defaults to requesting an address via DHCP. Optionally, you can enter a static address by hand.

Also, how is the WET11 configured?

I am using an Apple AEBS(n) as may main router/wirless provider, and my HR-20's just picked up an address and worked (one using an Airport Express & one hard-wired).

Let me know,
DirecTV subscriber since 1994!
My systems info

#3 OFFLINE   fpd917

fpd917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

Howdy,

Do you have DHCP set up on the Extreme, or did you statically-address the other devices?

As I recall the HR-20 defaults to requesting an address via DHCP. Optionally, you can enter a static address by hand.

Also, how is the WET11 configured?

I am using an Apple AEBS(n) as may main router/wirless provider, and my HR-20's just picked up an address and worked (one using an Airport Express & one hard-wired).

Let me know,

I am setup using DHCP. I set up my wet11 by configuring it from my aebs, and the wet11 worked with the playstation 2, so I know it configured to connect to the airport.
Also, in the airport admin utility, under network, would it make a difference if I checked "distribute IP address"? If I cannot get it to work, could I connect my other aebs to the HR20, and get it to work like that? Thanks
Sony KDF-E42A10
HR20-700
Apple iPhone 3G(8 GB)
Apple ibook
Apple ipod video (30 GB)
Apple ipod shuffle
Apple Airport Extreme

#4 OFFLINE   superchief

superchief

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

I am setup using DHCP. I set up my wet11 by configuring it from my aebs, and the wet11 worked with the playstation 2, so I know it configured to connect to the airport.
Also, in the airport admin utility, under network, would it make a difference if I checked "distribute IP address"? If I cannot get it to work, could I connect my other aebs to the HR20, and get it to work like that? Thanks

The main AEBS (the one connected to your Internet connections) should be OK as-is, if your Macs are getting IP Addresses.

Yes, you could use your other AEBS as a network extender.

What are you using for network security? WPA/WPA2, WEP and do you have MAC access control enabled?
My systems info

#5 OFFLINE   fpd917

fpd917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

The main AEBS (the one connected to your Internet connections) should be OK as-is, if your Macs are getting IP Addresses.

Yes, you could use your other AEBS as a network extender.

What are you using for network security? WPA/WPA2, WEP and do you have MAC access control enabled?

I am using WEP for my security, and I am unsure whether or not I have the MAC access control enabled. If I can use my other aebs for a wireless point for the HR20 then I will do that, because the WET11 is a few years old and it is not as fast as the aebs. So what would be the easiest way to set it up on the HR20? Thanks
Sony KDF-E42A10
HR20-700
Apple iPhone 3G(8 GB)
Apple ibook
Apple ipod video (30 GB)
Apple ipod shuffle
Apple Airport Extreme

#6 OFFLINE   superchief

superchief

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

I am using WEP for my security, and I am unsure whether or not I have the MAC access control enabled. If I can use my other aebs for a wireless point for the HR20 then I will do that, because the WET11 is a few years old and it is not as fast as the aebs. So what would be the easiest way to set it up on the HR20? Thanks

A word of warning -- Older devices (perhaps your playstation) will not support newer encryption technologies like WPA/WPA Personal. It might be best to add the AEBS and not try to re-configure the WET11, And, as WEP security has been broken for years now, migrating to WPA is the right thing to do for security purposes.

If you are not sure that you are using MAC access control, chances are that you are not, as setting it up requires some work to enter the MAC addresses, which look like this: 00:16:cb:38:bb:a2

Let me know if you have any other questions or problems!

Cheers,
My systems info

#7 OFFLINE   fpd917

fpd917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

A word of warning -- Older devices (perhaps your playstation) will not support newer encryption technologies like WPA/WPA Personal. It might be best to add the AEBS and not try to re-configure the WET11, And, as WEP security has been broken for years now, migrating to WPA is the right thing to do for security purposes.

If you are not sure that you are using MAC access control, chances are that you are not, as setting it up requires some work to enter the MAC addresses, which look like this: 00:16:cb:38:bb:a2

Let me know if you have any other questions or problems!

Cheers,

True, I understand about the WEP, I changed that to WPA Personal. I will use my other aebs to run into the HR20. I am not using the Playstation 2 anymore, so it is out of the picture. So how do i configure the aebs to run the HR20 so that I can connect?
Sony KDF-E42A10
HR20-700
Apple iPhone 3G(8 GB)
Apple ibook
Apple ipod video (30 GB)
Apple ipod shuffle
Apple Airport Extreme

#8 OFFLINE   superchief

superchief

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

True, I understand about the WEP, I changed that to WPA Personal. I will use my other aebs to run into the HR20. I am not using the Playstation 2 anymore, so it is out of the picture. So how do i configure the aebs to run the HR20 so that I can connect?

Use the Airport Utility 5.1, highlight the "new" AEBS, click on continue (for automatic set-up), and select the Connect to my current wireless network. Then, just enter the requested information. As I recall, you will be asked to select your network name, enter the network (WPA) password, and then just set the AEBS to extend my existing network.

Cheers,
My systems info

#9 OFFLINE   fpd917

fpd917

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

I got it up and running. Thank you for your help. Hopefully we get VOD soon so I can use the connection. Thanks again!
Sony KDF-E42A10
HR20-700
Apple iPhone 3G(8 GB)
Apple ibook
Apple ipod video (30 GB)
Apple ipod shuffle
Apple Airport Extreme

#10 OFFLINE   superchief

superchief

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I got it up and running. Thank you for your help. Hopefully we get VOD soon so I can use the connection. Thanks again!

COOL!

Yup, sure hope VOD starts soon.

Enjoy...
My systems info

spam firewall