Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's up with MPEG2?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

I've been having trouble with a single tuner (tuner 2) occasionally (very randomly) losing mpeg2 broadcasts. I thought I had traced it down to a problem with the tuner in the machine as I confirmed that another HR20 did not have the problem when the other 20 did. I switched the coax into the machine to make sure it wasn't a problem there but it kept appearing on tuner 2. I switched the coax going out from my multiswitch to make sure it wasn't a problem with the multiswitch. I was pretty convinced it was the machine and called DTV to get a replacement and moved the HR20 that didn't have the problem up to my main viewing area. Now that I'm watching this 20 a lot (previously it was the kid's machine I rarely watched - except to confirm it wasn't suffering from the same problem as the other machine), I've seen two occasions when both tuners lose access to mpeg2 broadcasts. Both times I was watching a recording and when I came back to live I couldn't tune to any station in the 70s. The first time I got them back when I tuned to an mpeg4 HD local broadcast. The second time that didn't work, but I got them back when I tuned to a standard SD broadcast (NFL Network). Before I got it back, though, I tried to record a few minutes of an mpeg2 broadcast that I had a blank screen on. The first time I tried to play it after getting my mpeg2 stations back, I got a blank screen. The second time I got a broadcast from a local SD station (Fox) that had been recorded in the place of the mpeg2 broadcast (HDNET). In tuning to different stations to try to retrieve my mpeg2 stations, I had tuned to an mpeg4 HD Fox broadcast momentarily (for a couple of seconds, at most). But what I got on the recording was three minutes of the SD version of that same Fox broadcast.

What in the heck is going on here? Could it possibly be that I've got two machines that have problems with occasionally losing mpeg2 broadcasts? Could my third HR20 be the charm? Any help with understanding what might be happening here would be appreciated.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

Early signs of a bad multi-switch?
Can you bypass it with some barrel connectors and try it that way for a while to see if there is any change?
Two receivers in the same location, start to disprove that it is them [not impossible, but....]
If the other location is working fine, it would suggest that it isn't the dish.
BBCs removed?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

Vos! Thanks for chiming in. After I posted, though, it occurred to me that there was one other thing I could check out before bypassing the multiswitch. I've actually got four lines coming in to the location of my problematic HR20. The two lines I've been using were put in almost seven years ago by an electrician who said he'd drill through my stucco wall for a few bucks. He installed one of those lightswitch style covers with what I guess is a barrel connecter where the line from the outside connects to a new cable inside the house. The other two were installed by DTV folk when I got my first 20 (wanted to keep my 10 going as a backup) with the lines uninterupted running into the house. This might not make any difference at all, but when I moved my bookshelf to get to the place where the lines come in I noticed that the bookshelf had been backed too far against the wall, seriously kinking the two older lines I've been using. So I switched them in favor of the two newer cables that come into the house uninterupted. We'll see if that makes a difference. If it re-occurs, though, I'll try your suggestion with bypassing the multiswitch. But I have one question about that: when I remove two of the four inputs going into the switch to run them with barrel connecters to my problematic 20, will the switch continue to send a signal to my two other receivers? I thought you needed four inputs for a 6X8 to work?

Early signs of a bad multi-switch?
Can you bypass it with some barrel connectors and try it that way for a while to see if there is any change?
Two receivers in the same location, start to disprove that it is them [not impossible, but....]
If the other location is working fine, it would suggest that it isn't the dish.
BBCs removed?

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

When you "drop" two of the inputs to the multi-switch, you will degrade the channels available to the other receivers.
Any connector [the barrel in the wall-plate] can cause problems. Bad kinks too will raise hell with RF. I believe hasan has posted 2-3" radius is min for RG6. I don't go that tight [duh, minimum isn't worth pushing].

Vos! Thanks for chiming in. After I posted, though, it occurred to me that there was one other thing I could check out before bypassing the multiswitch. I've actually got four lines coming in to the location of my problematic HR20. The two lines I've been using were put in almost seven years ago by an electrician who said he'd drill through my stucco wall for a few bucks. He installed one of those lightswitch style covers with what I guess is a barrel connecter where the line from the outside connects to a new cable inside the house. The other two were installed by DTV folk when I got my first 20 (wanted to keep my 10 going as a backup) with the lines uninterupted running into the house. This might not make any difference at all, but when I moved my bookshelf to get to the place where the lines come in I noticed that the bookshelf had been backed too far against the wall, seriously kinking the two older lines I've been using. So I switched them in favor of the two newer cables that come into the house uninterupted. We'll see if that makes a difference. If it re-occurs, though, I'll try your suggestion with bypassing the multiswitch. But I have one question about that: when I remove two of the four inputs going into the switch to run them with barrel connecters to my problematic 20, will the switch continue to send a signal to my two other receivers? I thought you needed four inputs for a 6X8 to work?

A.K.A VOS

spam firewall