Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF Stops Working on BOTH H20 Boxes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Homebrew101

Homebrew101

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

OK, this seems strange but yesterday morning both of my H20 boxes were back to "ALL CHANNELS" instead of "FAVORITES" and the remotes didn't operate the H20 boxes at all.

I have 2 H20's and a separate RC32RF for each box and neither one worked. Well after replacing batteries, rebooting the boxes and finally a call to D* and some putzing with them we finally determined that each box still worked if set to IR but will not work via RF.

D* is sending out 2 new remotes but I think it likely that neither one will be any better. If a storm went thru is it possible that could have affected the RF capabilites of either the remotes or the H20's?

BTW, IR sucks, why would the guide function different on IR than on RF?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

Are you sure your receiver didn't take an upgrade?

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

The guide wouldn't function any differently between IR and RF.

Check to see if you got the upgrade.

And you most likely will have to reset the IR/RF settings on the box via the front panel.

As noted by someone else that got the download, the systems used to accept both IR and RF at the same time... now it is either or.

Did you go through the setup procedues for the remote again on the boxes?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Homebrew101

Homebrew101

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

The guide wouldn't function any differently between IR and RF.

Check to see if you got the upgrade.

And you most likely will have to reset the IR/RF settings on the box via the front panel.

As noted by someone else that got the download, the systems used to accept both IR and RF at the same time... now it is either or.

Did you go through the setup procedues for the remote again on the boxes?

For the record, these boxes are the H20-100.

Tech Support said there was no software upgrade yet but that there actually would be one this morning but I didn't have a chance to check the boxes this morning before heading into work.

Oddly enough, the guide does operate differently using IR, the response ONSCREEN is slower. For instance, with the guide displayed and pressing the PAGE up or down button, instead of instantly changing to the channel a page up(or down) the channels now scroll one at a time until reaching the top of the page. Or when pressing the guide button twice to bring up the guide, there is more of a pause between each step and if pressing exit to leave the guide, the screen flashes twice before exiting. Not a big deal but odd that it is different and annoying because who likes anything that is slower (well OK some things are nice slower;) ).

I at first thought it must be a software upgrade that screwed things up but the tech insisted that the upgrade was not scheduled until 1 AM July 18.

I did reset the IR/RF settings on the front panel but only IR works on either receiver so far. That was the only way to regain control of the boxes.

I also did reprogram the remote codes for the box to no avail.

BTW, before getting these H20's I had a Samsung HD box with RF and that box was controllable from anywhere in my house with the internal antennae yet both of these boxes, with the external antennaes attached, didn't respond to the RF signals unless the remote is pointed directly at the box similar to the functionality of the IR setting. I have long been thinking that maybe I should try making antennaes out of coax that are much longer and not hidden behind the boxes in my entertainment centers but I'll have to let that wait until I get RF capabilities again.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

For the record, these boxes are the H20-100.

Tech Support said there was no software upgrade yet but that there actually would be one this morning but I didn't have a chance to check the boxes this morning before heading into work.

Oddly enough, the guide does operate differently using IR, the response ONSCREEN is slower. For instance, with the guide displayed and pressing the PAGE up or down button, instead of instantly changing to the channel a page up(or down) the channels now scroll one at a time until reaching the top of the page. Or when pressing the guide button twice to bring up the guide, there is more of a pause between each step and if pressing exit to leave the guide, the screen flashes twice before exiting. Not a big deal but odd that it is different and annoying because who likes anything that is slower (well OK some things are nice slower;) ).

I at first thought it must be a software upgrade that screwed things up but the tech insisted that the upgrade was not scheduled until 1 AM July 18.

I did reset the IR/RF settings on the front panel but only IR works on either receiver so far. That was the only way to regain control of the boxes.

I also did reprogram the remote codes for the box to no avail.

BTW, before getting these H20's I had a Samsung HD box with RF and that box was controllable from anywhere in my house with the internal antennae yet both of these boxes, with the external antennaes attached, didn't respond to the RF signals unless the remote is pointed directly at the box similar to the functionality of the IR setting. I have long been thinking that maybe I should try making antennaes out of coax that are much longer and not hidden behind the boxes in my entertainment centers but I'll have to let that wait until I get RF capabilities again.

There is an update for the H20-100 (regardless what the CSR told you).
The updates have been going out for over a week now.

And yes, one of the side effects of the upgrade, was that the guide slowdown.

GUARANTEED that you received the update... when you get home, hold down the INFO button for about 3 seconds... you will see that you now have version 0x2020 (and it downloaded in the last few days).

And for your last description...
I will definently say, your boxes where never in RF mode on the previous software version (either they were not setup right, or they were not working properly).

If you had to be "line in sight" for them to work in "rf mode", then they were not in RF mode... and were in fact only listening to the IR signal from the remote. (which before 0x2020, the H20 would listen to both, now it is just one).

99.99999% you will find that your H20's are in IR mode now, and you will probably just have to go through the RF setup again.

With the standard antenna's, you should easily get 50-100ft reception in RF mode.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Homebrew101

Homebrew101

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Earl. Yeah, I just read the thread about the updates and saw that the scrolling meant that I did get the update and it makes sense that even though both boxes were set for RF, if both IR and RF worked but doesn't with the update, my boxes never did accept the RF signals.

Kind of odd that RF didn't work (and still doesn't) even when RF was selected in the settings. Both are leased boxes, would D* replace them just because the RF doesn't work?

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Earl. Yeah, I just read the thread about the updates and saw that the scrolling meant that I did get the update and it makes sense that even though both boxes were set for RF, if both IR and RF worked but doesn't with the update, my boxes never did accept the RF signals.

Kind of odd that RF didn't work (and still doesn't) even when RF was selected in the settings. Both are leased boxes, would D* replace them just because the RF doesn't work?

My "guess" is that something is possible wrong with the remote/receiver relationship. I could understand 1 not working, but not both.
I would try to go through the remote setup again....

As it is not just setting the box to RF mode, you have to set the remote up to control that box (by entering the last 6 digits of the RID into the remote, the On Screen Display will walk you through the steps to do that). Or you can look for Edmunds posts (he is our remote expert), and he has the instructions posted several times on how to set the remote up to be RF mode, for a specific receiver.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

+1
I have an H-20-100 that has [and is] in RF mode, where there is no need to "point" it anywhere.
Also have the update too.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Changing the receiver to RF is a two phase process, receiver & remote.

when you're in the menu to change to RF, it will give you instructions to change the remote, do it right then, once the remote is RF, only when press SELECT does the receiver actually change to RF.
aka Tivoburkee

#10 OFFLINE   Homebrew101

Homebrew101

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Changing the receiver to RF is a two phase process, receiver & remote.

when you're in the menu to change to RF, it will give you instructions to change the remote, do it right then, once the remote is RF, only when press SELECT does the receiver actually change to RF.

Thanks, I guess if I could read directions the first time maybe I wouldn't have such problems lol. Everything works fine now, just a little embarrassed is all.:grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...