Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scheduled Recordings Always Starting Late

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HarryG

HarryG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:33 AM

It seems like all my scheduled recordings begin recording 10-15 seconds late. This happens with both local and network feeds. The issue is not that the local affiliate or network is starting the recorded show early. I can record the identical show on my cable DVR, and there is no clipped beginning. Last night, I happened to be viewing the same channel live previous to the scheduled 6:30 news recording, and about 10-15 seconds into the 6:30PM live feed the HR20 began recording.

On playback, the HR20 had the usual clipped beginning. There was no way to view the previous 10-15 seconds of content even though it was viewed live and was in the original buffer.

I am aware that I can solve the problem by programming each recording to start 1 minute early. This fix will work, but can create recording conflicts if you are recording multiple shows back to back.

I have not seen many posts about this problem in recent months. Is this a known documented HR20 software issue that is being investigated?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Where you able to rewind the recording, as the HR20 does still have the issue where it starts playback a few seconds beyond the "actual" recorded start of the program.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   HarryG

HarryG

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

Where you able to rewind the recording, as the HR20 does still have the issue where it starts playback a few seconds beyond the "actual" recorded start of the program.

I can rewind it only to the point where it the HR20 began recording. It will not rewind past that point to the actual beginning of the program.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hmmm..

Any chance you noticed what the actual "clock" time on the HR20 stated, at the start of that program?

As the cause could be:
-) Clock out of sync (Be the HR20's or the Clock on the transponder)
-) HR20 flat out not starting when the clock change occurs
-) The network started the program before the stated time
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hmmm..

Any chance you noticed what the actual "clock" time on the HR20 stated, at the start of that program?

As the cause could be:

Earl, this is definitely still an HR20 software bug. Although it has improved with recent releases, my HR20 still starts recording about six seconds later than my SD TiVo, on the same program (that's one of my "timing tests") . It used to be 30+ seconds, so I don't notice it as often.
I now have a second HR20 so I am going to compare them.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

Earl, this is definitely still an HR20 software bug. Although it has improved with recent releases, my HR20 still starts recording about six seconds later than my SD TiVo, on the same program (that's one of my "timing tests") . It used to be 30+ seconds, so I don't notice it as often.
I now have a second HR20 so I am going to compare them.

But still the question is:
What is out of sync.... the clock that the HR20 has, or does the software just take 6 seconds after the change of the hour to recognize the time, and start recording.

Is there something else causing the delay (like locking into the channel on the 2nd tuner).

Or is the clock wrong on the transponder, and the HR20 updates to it more frequently then say the HR10-250 (Which after is/was designed as a STANDALONE box first, and the DSS app was stuffed on top of it)

Any of the above, is still an issue with the HR20 (nothing the user can do about it)... but what is the root cause is the question for the developers to figure out
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#7 OFFLINE   HarryG

HarryG

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hmmm..

As the cause could be:

I 'll perform two tests tonight. The first to see if the HR20 clock in in sinc with my atomic clock. Second, to note the actual HR20- clock time when the recording begins. I'll post the results tomorrow.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

There was another thread recently on this same issue where people did comparisons to other DVRs and atomic clocks.

I'd guess that part of the problem is how long it takes the HR-20 to change channels and lock on. When you're surfing it takes a few seconds. So, when the HR-20 clock ticks onto the time when it needs to start recording...it has to activate a tuner and then change to that channel and wait for the actual content data.

There's an issue on the other side of programs too...they very often cut off a little early.

It really would be nice if a dev from D would just address the issue here.

#9 OFFLINE   HarryG

HarryG

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

There was another thread recently on this same issue where people did comparisons to other DVRs and atomic clocks.

I'd guess that part of the problem is how long it takes the HR-20 to change channels and lock on. When you're surfing it takes a few seconds. So, when the HR-20 clock ticks onto the time when it needs to start recording...it has to activate a tuner and then change to that channel and wait for the actual content data.

There's an issue on the other side of programs too...they very often cut off a little early.

It really would be nice if a dev from D would just address the issue here.

The problem still exists when the tuner is already set to the channel to be recorded.

#10 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

I've noticed this too and last night brought up the status bar (I hope that's the name of the bar that pops up when you hit the play button while watching live TV that shows your place in the buffer). I was caught up to live TV and it was 6:59 PM. National news was just ending and something was to record at 7:00 PM on a different channel. When the time on the status bar changed to 7:00 PM and a new program started, the status bar still showed the name of the 6:30 national news and the time shown on the status bar started at 6:30 on the left side and 7:00 on the right side. The new show (wheel of fortune) started right when the status bar time changed to 7:00, but like I said the status bar didn't update to the new show name. I kept hitting the play button to keep the status on screen and it took about 15-20 seconds before the status bar changed to say wheel of fortune and for the green line to change to 7:00 on the left side and 7:30 on the right side. As soon as the status bar changed to show the wheel of fortune name and the 7:00 and 7:30 start/end times, the record light came on for the other show.

So it seems the clock on the HR20 is correct, but the record command is based on when the status bar/buffer changes to the new show and it appears there is a lag with that which is causing the beginning of shows to not be recorded.

I'm sure anyone could try to replicate this by setting something to record and then at ~30 seconds prior to that start record time, bring up the status bar and see when the status bar changes to the new show name and compare that to when the record light comes on.

I hope this makes sense.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Not that this explains it for all instances, but I notice some local shows (like the local news) and some network shows start early..sometimes they are scheduled to begin early (like 9:59pm), and sometimes they start 30 secs early. I have my clock next to my HR20 (coordinated to UTC and HR20 time), and notice this from time to time.

Of course, as we know, the HR20 has some issues, as mentioned above.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

I remember the DirecTivo's clock would get out of sync by as much as a minute or so if both tuners were left on a local channel that was on the 119 sat. The timing was out of wack on that sat. I got into the habit of always switching to a channel on the 101 sat before going to bed. I still do the same thing on the HR20.

Not sure if it's the same thing here.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever noticed this problem outside the common shows on networks that start early/late all the time.

Only way to really test this is to compare the HR20 to an atomic clock and see how off it is. Assuming it's darn close then need to watch live to see when the show starts and when the HR20 starts recording.

I'll try to remember to run a test of having a show scheduled on both my DirecTivo and HR20 which sit next to each other and see if the record light comes on at the same time.

#13 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

The problem still exists when the tuner is already set to the channel to be recorded.

Yes, but I think that when you're watching a channel it actually starts up the second one to record it. I'm pretty sure you can record two shows and watch a third at the same time...or am I wrong on that?

#14 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

I remember the DirecTivo's clock would get out of sync by as much as a minute or so if both tuners were left on a local channel that was on the 119 sat. The timing was out of wack on that sat. I got into the habit of always switching to a channel on the 101 sat before going to bed. I still do the same thing on the HR20.

Not sure if it's the same thing here.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever noticed this problem outside the common shows on networks that start early/late all the time.

Only way to really test this is to compare the HR20 to an atomic clock and see how off it is. Assuming it's darn close then need to watch live to see when the show starts and when the HR20 starts recording.

I'll try to remember to run a test of having a show scheduled on both my DirecTivo and HR20 which sit next to each other and see if the record light comes on at the same time.

Bon,

I barely ever record the major network shows and I see it quite a bit on other stations. Part of noticing it depends on the way a network starts and ends its shows too...Some start coming out commercial or local spot...and some end differently. For whatever reason the problem is much more pronounced and noticeable on the HR-20. Whatever the Tivos do...they seem to be better at capturing the whole show (maybe they add a bit of padding on their own?).

The only problem I've see with adding padding on either end of a show is it can cause "priority" problems with shows starting in the next segment.

#15 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

My clock in the upper left of the GUI changes at the same time a show is scheduled to start (7PM for example). The clock displayed on the green status bar also changes at the correct time, BUT the green buffer bar does not change to the new show name right away. Once the show name on the green buffer bar does change, then the record light comes on.

So it seems to me that the record process is tied to when the show name changes on the green buffer bar and since that is late, the beginning of shows are being cut off.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Ok, done some testing tonight.

Test bed: R10 DirecTivo vs. HR20. No idea if it's a fair test between the 2 but hey, that's all I got. Tried half a dozen recordings, SD channels only.

In every test the HR20 started 5-7 seconds later on average. Never more then 10 seconds. I honestly can't really tell if the Tivo starts "early" or if it's the HR20 that starts late because only one of those recordings seemed to be "cut off", was missing the first 3 seconds or so.

Also in all cases the HR20 stopped after the Tivo did, usually 2-3 seconds. Once it was 5.

So the timing on the HR20 seems off but not by too much, at least for me. Perhaps this is why as I said I don't notice it. I can't compare HD as I don't have an HR10.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...