Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rain Fade Frequency...Old Dish vs. New Slimline Dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ToddinVA

ToddinVA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

I'm upgrading from my 3.5 year old 3lnb disk to the new Slimline dish in a couple of weeks. I've been disappointed at the rain fade issues I've had in the past. Is the new dish more resistant to rain fade?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

I'm upgrading from my 3.5 year old 3lnb disk to the new Slimline dish in a couple of weeks. I've been disappointed at the rain fade issues I've had in the past. Is the new dish more resistant to rain fade?

Yes and no.
It has a larger reflector so for your current channels it should, but the new Ka signals are more susceptible so no.
What are your levels now?
If they are lower than normal, then a better pointed dish will help.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

I just had my slimline moved on Saturday and we are now expecting some heavy rain so I am looking forward to see how it preforms but prior to this I was not happy with the rain fade problem to me it is worse than the 18 inch dishes I used.

#4 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,462 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

Its been Bad here in south Texas. The first month it was good no rain fade at all the last few weeks its been realy bad we have had some havy rain durning these times but even dark could are starting to give the fade. Have checked my singles and all are still in the 90's.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#5 OFFLINE   sore_bluto

sore_bluto

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

We've been getting some extreme rain here in Louisiana the past few weeks and the slimline dish I have is virtually impervious to rain fade. However, a swollen cloud that appears just before it rains like crazy will knock out the signal. I'll lose picture and sound for 1-2 minutes and then it starts raining like mad. After raining for 1-2 minutes, the picture and sound return even though it is still raining very heavily.
HR20-700 + OTA, HR20-700, HR24-200, R15-300, 5LNB Ka/Ku AU9-S

#6 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

We've been getting some extreme rain here in Louisiana the past few weeks and the slimline dish I have is virtually impervious to rain fade. However, a swollen cloud that appears just before it rains like crazy will knock out the signal. I'll lose picture and sound for 1-2 minutes and then it starts raining like mad. After raining for 1-2 minutes, the picture and sound return even though it is still raining very heavily.

Wish that was the case here. Mine has been out as long as 45min durning the heavy rain.Does not come back till the rain stops.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360

#7 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

I've noticed that my rain fade seems to be worse with the Slimline in comparison to the regular non-hd dish.

I went ahead and left my old dish up and had my Slimline installed near it.

If I have rain that fades out my Slimline, chances are that my bedroom R15 will still be working which is being fed by the old dish.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

The rain doesn't need to be "on your head", but between your dish and the SATs.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

I've noticed that my rain fade seems to be worse with the Slimline in comparison to the regular non-hd dish.

I went ahead and left my old dish up and had my Slimline installed near it.

If I have rain that fades out my Slimline, chances are that my bedroom R15 will still be working which is being fed by the old dish.

I'd look at my levels coming from the slimline. My dish has lost signal, but only in extremely heavy rain/hail storms.
HD locals [Ka] will fade early, but I can't think your smaller dish would work better [if the slimline is adjusted correctly].
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   aim2pls

aim2pls

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

as old school said .. rain doesnt have to be head on ... as a matter of fact .. you could be getting a sunburn at the same time .. reason ... that big ole T storm off to the "south" (inline with the sats) is the real problem .... for example .... you see rain .. maybe 1-3 thousand feet of it ... while the water in the clouds can be 30 or more thousand feet

#11 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

I am curious about this.

Unfortunately it hasn't rained since I got the dish installed on the 6th.

Hopefully tonight. Grass is turning brown and trees are starting to loose leaves. It's not supposed to be like this in WI in July :mad:

#12 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

I am curious about this.

Unfortunately it hasn't rained since I got the dish installed on the 6th.

Hopefully tonight. Grass is turning brown and trees are starting to loose leaves. It's not supposed to be like this in WI in July :mad:

You can have some of ours:lol:

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360

#13 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

I'd look at my levels coming from the slimline. My dish has lost signal, but only in extremely heavy rain/hail storms.
HD locals [Ka] will fade early, but I can't think your smaller dish would work better [if the slimline is adjusted correctly].

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you totally...and to be honest, I was probably watching HD local when I experienced the rain fade.

I will be checking the levels non-the-less though.

#14 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

My experience is that Ku channels (essentially everything but HD locals) are less susceptible to rain fade with the Slimline dish than with the 3 slot dish.

Ka channels (HD locals) are slightly more susceptible to rain fade than everything else was on the 3 slot dish.

This jibes with the laws of physics in general.

The original Ku channels now have a bigger reflector to bounce off of and therefore have more gain than they had before. Therefore, they are less susceptible to fade.

The Ka band, in general, is more susceptible to fade than the Ku band. So, it is what it is.

#15 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

You can have some of ours:lol:

Send all you can -- I'll take it.

Getting sick and tired of watering my plants every other day.

More watering = less HD watching time :mad:

#16 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Send all you can -- I'll take it.

Getting sick and tired of watering my plants every other day.

More watering = less HD watching time :mad:

No kidding same thing here in Boston it has been pretty dry in my town I am really sick of watering to keep a green lawn and flowers alive plus once my wife see's the bill she will flip out like she does every year.

#17 OFFLINE   Rob55

Rob55

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've had my slimline dish for a few months now and hardly experience any rain fade at all. We've continued watching TV through some pretty heavy storms and no problems. As a matter of fact, a problem tree with the old 3LNB dish caused problems , but I now have no problems whatsoever (with or without leaves), all thanks to the AU9S dish.

#18 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,270 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

No rain fade here in southern California.
Of course there's been hardly any rain here since installation January 5 :D

Bill

#19 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

I had a bad case of rain fade(20 min) a few days ago during a really bad thunderstorm. I lost signal on all satellites except 119. I have a slimline. Any ideas why I would have just that one vs 101 sat? By the way my normal signal strengths on all sats are 98 with hr20. I still have 98 signal strength on the sats.
my setup here

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

I had a bad case of rain fade(20 min) a few days ago during a really bad thunderstorm. I lost signal on all satellites except 119. I have a slimline. Any ideas why I would have just that one vs 101 sat? By the way my normal signal strengths on all sats are 98 with hr20. I still have 98 signal strength on the sats.

The storm came from the east and wasn't that far west of you.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...