Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If FCC's "Must Carry" passes, Discovery may hold back HD channels.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

According to TV Predictions.

http://www.tvpredict...overy071807.htm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Oh, yeah. Swanni is *NEVER* wrong! :nono2:

(Just kidding--I see this is an actual press release from Discovery's P.R. hit team trying to lobby the FCC.)

#3 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

I like to think that there are enough satellite subscribers out there that Discovery would still get a strong viewer base for the new HD channels. Unfortunately, I don't have access to raw statistics on the number of satellite subscribers versus cable.

:rolleyes:
Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

I don't see it being as big of a problem as it may seem on the surface for Cable-Co's.

I know here in Chicago.. Comcast has just flipped or is about to flip the digital switch, and eliminated the analog channels (except locals)...

So that just oppened up a MAJOR amount of bandwith for them (So they claim), hence why they just added a few more HD networks.

The relatively small space that ANALOG locals (The minimum for must carry), probably = Total amount of 1 maybe 2 HD networks
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

I think this is all a lot of sabre-rattling right now on both sides, and I agree that there is enough satellite penetration (that all meet the 100% digital standard) to justify any investment from Discovery.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

If "must carry" DOES NOT pass, maybe broadcasters will take all their signals off of satellite and cable, and just make you buy an OTA antenna to get them. After all, wasn't "crappy OTA analog reception" the reason most people got cable? :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:41 AM

The relatively small space that ANALOG locals (The minimum for must carry), probably = Total amount of 1 maybe 2 HD networks

It's the other way around. Analog takes up a huge amount of bandwidth. One analog channel takes the bandwidth of 2 HD channels, or 8-10 SD QAM digital channels.

maybe broadcasters will take all their signals off of satellite and cable, and just make you buy an OTA antenna to get them.

They should and then maybe the industry will wake up and realize what a waste and out of date method local TV is. I'm all for scraping local channels and the affiliate system completely and having national networks. National feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and the CW. If I lost my local channels completely I’d just download the content I’d be missing off the internet anyway. I’m not supporting my ‘local’ broadcasters any more then I have to.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

It's the other way around. Analog takes up a huge amount of bandwidth. One analog channel takes the bandwidth of 2 HD channels, or 8-10 SD QAM digital channels.

They should and then maybe the industry will wake up and realize what a waste and out of date method local TV is. I'm all for scraping local channels and the affiliate system completely and having national networks. National feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and the CW. If I lost my local channels completely I’d just download the content I’d be missing off the internet anyway. I’m not supporting my ‘local’ broadcasters any more then I have to.

And when you can figure out how to supply the networks with $6 - $8 Billion or so dollars in annual revenue - each - I am sure they will be happy to drop the affiliate system.

Actually, it would be more than that as they would be forced to recoup the added bandwidth costs.

#9 OFFLINE   digitalfreak

digitalfreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

At the beginning of Wednesday's Mythbusters, there was a blurb at the bottom of the screen saying "This program is also available in HD".

#10 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

i bet its a consipiracy with E* to say see D* didn't get the channels they promised :lol:
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

i bet its a consipiracy with E* to say see D* didn't get the channels they promised :lol:

Get real......Discovery is owned primarily by the company that is trying to buy D*.

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

At the beginning of Wednesday's Mythbusters, there was a blurb at the bottom of the screen saying "This program is also available in HD".

I noticed that too, and the guide data on ch 278 said "HD", but D* does not offer Discovery HD yet. Darn! Mythbusters in HD would be cool. Can't wait until later this year.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

I noticed that too, and the guide data on ch 278 said "HD", but D* does not offer Discovery HD yet. Darn! Mythbusters in HD would be cool. Can't wait until later this year.

Mythbusters HD was indeed cool. And what an episode to start with!!!!:lol:

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#14 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Mythbusters HD was indeed cool. And what an episode to start with!!!!:lol:

Do you get Discovery HD from E* or cable? Was the whole program in HD or just parts? I know they use a lot of handheld cameras on the show. Can't wait until we get Discovery HD on D*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#15 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Do you get Discovery HD from E* or cable? Was the whole program in HD or just parts? I know they use a lot of handheld cameras on the show. Can't wait until we get Discovery HD on D*.

We get it from E* and the whole program appeared to be in HD. When we watched Dirty Jobs last week (prior to the new HD channels starting), they showed Mike Rowe using a handheld to do closeups on birds in their nest and the camera had an "HD" lable on it so even handhelds can be HD.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

spam firewall