Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Old D* Costumer Looking to Upgrade - Few Questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

I have been a D* costumer for many years. I currently have a SD Tivo unit that is a few years old. I dont really have any problems with it, other then its getting kind of loud, probably on its way out and its not HD. I have been looking all over the net and have heard a lot of bad things about D*'s new hd dvr unit. This is the only site that seems to have decent things to say about it.

1. I want to know if now is a good time to upgrade to a HD dvr? (I have a HD tv)
2. What new fees will I be charged besides the obvious hardware cost?
3. I currently dont get my locals from D* I have an external antena that I use for HD. Can I hook this to this dvr and even record from ota?
4. I currently have just one simple dish. What new or additional dishes will I need to take advantage of HD? Can I install this myself or should I have someone do it? I have done about 3 of them in the past by myself. I would rather just go to Best Buy and get it, can I get dishes there to?

Thanks
Nick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,664 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

1) You'll avoid the rush by upgrading now. Why wait until D10 is operational and everyone is looking to upgrade

2) HD programing requires a $9.99 per month HD access fee - this fee covers all HD equipment in the house. There won't be any additional DVR fees, 1 fee covers all (TIVO and D*). Currently, there are no plans to charge more than the 9.99 access fee for the new channels.

3) The HR20 has an OTA connection and records OTA

4) You will need the new 5lnb slimline dish. D* knows what you need for HD, plus the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch if you currently have a multiswitch, the old multiswitches won't work with mpeg4. You can't get the dish at bestbuy, you can order one from Solidsignal.com, but D* will install this for free, why pay $99 when you don't have to. Plus, the aiming is a bit more complicated.

#3 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

1. Yes it is a good time to upgrade. DirecTV has recently launched a new satellite that will vastly increase the number of HD channels they offer. Expect September for new channels. The box isn't perfect, but it does the job.

2. New fees- HD Access Fee: I think it is $9.99 a month. DVR fee, but you are already paying that one.

3. You can continue to use your antenna for locals for HD or pay an additional 4 or 5 dollars for locals through DTV. You can record from OTA. The OTA channels will appear in the guide with the rest of the channels.

4. You will need a DTV installer to install a 5-LNB dish. I would recommend calling Directv for the HR20 and new dish. They will install the new dish at no charge, and you your best deal will be through Directv on the leased HR20.

I have been a D* costumer for many years. I currently have a SD Tivo unit that is a few years old. I dont really have any problems with it, other then its getting kind of loud, probably on its way out and its not HD. I have been looking all over the net and have heard a lot of bad things about D*'s new hd dvr unit. This is the only site that seems to have decent things to say about it.

1. I want to know if now is a good time to upgrade to a HD dvr? (I have a HD tv)
2. What new fees will I be charged besides the obvious hardware cost?
3. I currently dont get my locals from D* I have an external antena that I use for HD. Can I hook this to this dvr and even record from ota?
4. I currently have just one simple dish. What new or additional dishes will I need to take advantage of HD? Can I install this myself or should I have someone do it? I have done about 3 of them in the past by myself. I would rather just go to Best Buy and get it, can I get dishes there to?

Thanks
Nick

#4 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Sounds good, I think I am sold :)

What do you mean by the leased HR20? Is that just like a payment plan or something?

If I go to BestBuy and get the new HR20 can i still get the free installation and free 5lnb sat? The reason I ask is mine is really starting to die and dont really want to be without for to long. I guess I could give them a call and ask.

#5 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,664 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

Best way to make sure you get the deal is to order through D*.

If you get your HR20 at BestBuy, D* will still give you the Dish upgrade, but you probably would have to haggle with the CSR over credits to match the cost of the unit via D*. BestBuy will charge $299 for the HR20 alone (it's an upfront lease payment) and D* will probably charge $199 for the HR20 and dish upgrade.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

I am confused when you say lease payment. If i get the 199 pride from D will I have a lease payment until I reach the 299 price? And if i buy from BB I am just paying the 299 up front and will not have the lease payment?

Sorry for my confusion just want to know what I will be paying.

Thanks
Nick

#7 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,664 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

All D* units are now leased. Whether you pay $199 via D* and their upgrade deal, or $299 via BB, it's an upfront lease payment. Nothing else changes on your billing except that what used to be a mirroring fee, will now appear as a lease fee - still 4.99 for each unit after your 1st (no charge for the 1st unit). Works the same as when you actually bought the units, but they're leased now.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

ok I think I get it now. So basically you dont own the equipment then. I think I will call them after work and see what I can work out with them. If its cheaper to just order from them I think I will just do that.

Thanks For all the help! These seem to be great forums!
Nick

#9 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

There is definately room for haggling. I was able to get my parent's an HR20 for free + 19.99 shipping/handling charges.

ok I think I get it now. So basically you dont own the equipment then. I think I will call them after work and see what I can work out with them. If its cheaper to just order from them I think I will just do that.

Thanks For all the help! These seem to be great forums!
Nick

#10 OFFLINE   Alfer

Alfer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

I've been with Direct for almost 10 years....

Now I have two HDTV's in the house with R15 POS's on them...I called tonight to see what deals are out there for HD-DVR's...main customer service quoted me $299 for one HD-DVR and the second on was free...I told her I couldn't justify $300 at this time..she switched me to retention....

I talk a few minutes with a nice guy named Derek who after a few minutes offers me one FREE HD-DVR AND one year FREE HD service...also he waived the fees to ship and will have the installer out here next week to install new dish for free etc...

Just couldn't pass that deal up!!!

:)

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

I am confused when you say lease payment. If i get the 199 pride from D will I have a lease payment until I reach the 299 price? And if i buy from BB I am just paying the 299 up front and will not have the lease payment?

Sorry for my confusion just want to know what I will be paying.

Thanks
Nick

You don't say where you are in Iowa...I'm in Ogden and in range of the transmitting complex at Alleman. Don't forget OTA-HD on the HR20...it works pretty well. It records OTA-HD just dandy. Get back to me if you are interested, as it is a wonderful feature of the HR20.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

I live in Reinbeck, Its over by the Hudson Waterloo area.

I am definitely interested in that feature. I currently use an external tuner because my tv doesn't have one built in. I find myself not watching locals at all because its on a different input.

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

I live in Reinbeck, Its over by the Hudson Waterloo area.

I am definitely interested in that feature. I currently use an external tuner because my tv doesn't have one built in. I find myself not watching locals at all because its on a different input.

You certainly have OTA-HD in your area, so your HR20 will do a really good job for you, once you get it set up right. Connect your OTA antenna to the OTA input on the HR20 (not the satellite inputs), then go through the OTA setup in the HR20...it is quite a few steps, but once set up you can forget about it. I get ABC,CBS,PBS,NBC and FOX all OTA-HD with the HR20 and record all my series from OTA-HD. Looks wonderful.

Come here if you have questions, once you get to trying it. (or any other questions)

This forum is a great resource, borderline mother lode for any HR20 user.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

I am currently getting ota HD with my external tuner. I can get multiple stations from 2 broadcast locations. I think its Cedar Rapids and Des Moines. How does that work with integrating it in the guide? do you just pick one of them? (like just pick one fox?)

#15 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

Actually, you can pick up to 2 markets (2 zipcodes), so you could get 2 Fox's, 2 ABC's etc. All channels are integrated into the guide just like your sat channels and are distinguished by making them a different color. But you have all the guide data just like your sat channels.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

Wow I am loving this more and more! I cant wait to have my locals integrated into the guide! How does it pick what one to record off of if there is 2 channels?

I am going to call over my lunch break to get this ordered. Does anyone have any tips on what I should say to try and get a good deal? Just ask stupid and say that I think 299 is to much for hd??

#17 OFFLINE   swizzle

swizzle

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

How hard is it to pick out outfits for all those people at D*?

Didn't know they had costumers.

:P

#18 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

It seems you are likely out of contract currently with Directv. You may bring up the fact that Dish Network is willing to give you a HD DVR at no cost if you sign up with them.

Wow I am loving this more and more! I cant wait to have my locals integrated into the guide! How does it pick what one to record off of if there is 2 channels?

I am going to call over my lunch break to get this ordered. Does anyone have any tips on what I should say to try and get a good deal? Just ask stupid and say that I think 299 is to much for hd??

#19 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

Yeah I have been out of contract for a very long time I think. That is a good Idea I think I will say that. I actually have gotten flyer's and stuff about dish network and they were offering very cheap equipment. Kind of funny how these company's treat new customers better then current.

Thanks for the tip

#20 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!

I just called over my lunch break and told them I was looking at a dish network flyer. (which I did have) And they gave me the equipment for just shipping cost. (21.15) So now I just have to move my ota antenna a little higher on my house cause I get quite a bit of pixelation on my ota currently. I am so pumped for the install date on the 30th!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...