Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Connected to Network, but not Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   btmccain

btmccain

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

I am getting extremely discouraged. I cannot figure this thing out. Everything is "OK" and the Network is "Connected", but the Internet says "Not Connected." I bought the Linksys game adapter (WGA54G) today. I manually setup the ip address, subnet mask, etc. from my laptop settings. My network is secure and requires a passphrase, which I also setup with the game adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

try setting the dns, in the hr20, to your broadband ISP's dns server obtained from the modem/router settings. I have to use my ISP's dns in my HR20 to make it connect to the internet.

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#3 OFFLINE   btmccain

btmccain

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

try setting the dns, in the hr20, to your broadband ISP's dns server obtained from the modem/router settings. I have to use my ISP's dns in my HR20 to make it connect to the internet.

Where do I go to find those settings? I have 2 DNS server addresses in my "wireless network connection details" and neither of them work.

#4 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

you'll need to access the settings for your broadband modem or router. inside the settings, you should be able to get to a status screen which will list the primary and secondary dns numbers. normally you'll access these settings by typing your gateway ip address in a web browser

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#5 OFFLINE   btmccain

btmccain

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

you'll need to access the settings for your broadband modem or router. inside the settings, you should be able to get to a status screen which will list the primary and secondary dns numbers. normally you'll access these settings by typing your gateway ip address in a web browser

I found them, but no luck. They were the same as my wireless network details. Any other ideas?

#6 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

I manually setup the ip address, subnet mask, etc. from my laptop settings.

I assume you did not set the IP address to be the same as your laptop?

Another thing to check is that the game adapater is working correctly, try it on your laptop(disable wireless), or on a PC or something to see if you get an internet connection that way.

#7 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

1. Why are you assigning IP's instead of using DHCP from the router?

2. Are you aware that the gaming adapter uses one IP and the HR20 uses another? If not, there may be a conflict there.

3. Did you manually configure your router, or did you use the defaults? If you manually configured anything other than the wireless SSID and password, then you may have misconfigured something like MAC address filtering or Internet access for clients.

4. This may help.
http://www.replaytv4...g_Adapter .html
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#8 OFFLINE   okeemike

okeemike

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

For what it's worth, i was never able to get that Linksys adapter to work on any of my PC's...

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

I went through exactly what you're going through. PM me if you want more details than I'm posting below.

Check to see if your WGA is ver.1 or ver.2 -- If it has no sticker it's probably ver.1.

I had this exact same problem and I concluded that the ver.1 adapter, which was designed before the 802.11g standard was finalized, was the problem.

Also, do not put any stock in the HR20 saying the Network is connected. All it means is that the port is getting voltage through the line, as far as I can see.

I've concluded that the network tests in HR20 are seriously deficient for any sort of real troubleshooting.

I would suggest that you run a hard line from your HR20 to your router if at all possible and test your network that way.

You might also hook the WGA to the router and see if you can configure it via IP address through your PC. Also, if possible, check the signal strength of the WGA when it's in position. You'll likely need a laptop for that.

If you still have the receipt and can return the WGA, I have to tell you, I'm super pleased with the slinglink turbo. It was only $20 more than the WGA and uses power lines to connect. It worked the first time out of the box and gave me 4 network ports right at the HR20.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...