Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 sec skip with HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Looking to replace my HR10-250 Tivos. Looking at options.

Does the HR-20 have any way to do a 30sec skip. Back door approach or built in.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

There is no SKIP, like in the TiVo.
There is the SLIP, which will FF at about 3x ~30s

No backdoor for it, just hit the forward advance (top right of the play button)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

It has a 30 second slip. Similar, but it is more like FF for 30 seconds. You can see what is being skipped. It takes about 1.5 seconds to advance the 30 seconds. You can also stack them to move ahead in 30 second increments.

Edit: Earl beats me again. I'm starting to get a complex....

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

You can also stack them to move ahead in 30 second increments.

Or an approximation thereof. The timing of multiple "slips" still needs work.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#5 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

I recently requested that this be added to the wish list. No response yet. This is the only thing I miss from the HR10. Well Almost.
http://www.dbstalk.c...6&postcount=740

#6 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:25 AM

No, not yet.
HR20-100

#7 OFFLINE   Slyster

Slyster

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:20 AM

I actually now prefer the FF slip vs. the skip.. it's really fast enough to be good.. and yet I catch quick glimpses of things I really want to know something about.. upcoming shows etc.

Don't fret it you will love it!
* HR20 DVR *
* Panasonic 42" plasma TV *

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

:welcome_s: to DBSTalk zzzzdoc!

Make sure you check out this thread in the HR20 Ordering and Installation forum to get your best deal - it's a long thread, but full of great suggestions and information:

What the Deals are, and what are you being told by CSR?

Also check out the Ordering and Installation forum for tips so you know what to prepare for and expect if up move to the HR20 - dish replacement, multiswitches, etc.

#9 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

I actually now prefer the FF slip vs. the skip.. it's really fast enough to be good.. and yet I catch quick glimpses of things I really want to know something about.. upcoming shows etc.

That why i'm suggesting a toggle setting in setup between slip and skip. This will make everyone happy. Now that FF autocorrection is fixed I quit using slip.

#10 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Now that FF autocorrection is fixed I quit using slip.

+1!

#11 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

I've noticed when I'm watching a baseball game, I need about a 15 or 20 second skip - that's about the time it takes between pitches! :-)

#12 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

thats so funny...i was wishing that last night ......it is perfect for football though

I've noticed when I'm watching a baseball game, I need about a 15 or 20 second skip - that's about the time it takes between pitches! :-)

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#13 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

That's the nice thing about the Tivo 30 second skip. Hit the skip followed by the skip back and instant next pitch. :)

The 30 second slop on the HR-20 doesn't cut it.
HR20-100

#14 OFFLINE   zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

It has a 30 second slip. Similar, but it is more like FF for 30 seconds. You can see what is being skipped. It takes about 1.5 seconds to advance the 30 seconds. You can also stack them to move ahead in 30 second increments.

What keystroke gets the "slip"?

Frankly, what I really miss is the old ReplayTV "Commercial Advance." One button push, and the commercial is gone, back to the show. But since it caused them to be sued into oblivion, I guess too dangerous a feature to be included.

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:21 AM

That's the nice thing about the Tivo 30 second skip. Hit the skip followed by the skip back and instant next pitch. :)

The 30 second slop on the HR-20 doesn't cut it.

So on a TiVo you are willing to hit SKIP, followed by a skip back...
What is the difference then with SLIP... and hitting play or jump back...

Especially in those cases where it is more then 30s between pitches/snaps/ect ?

At least with the SLIP... you can SEE what it going on...

What if it was Mark Buehrle which can get two pitches in a 30s period...
With a skip, you could see the end of a strike out, hit ball ect... before you could hit that jump back a few times...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:22 AM

What keystroke gets the "slip"?

Frankly, what I really miss is the old ReplayTV "Commercial Advance." One button push, and the commercial is gone, back to the show. But since it caused them to be sued into oblivion, I guess too dangerous a feature to be included.

Slip is already enabled by default.
It is the forward advance button... top right above play, between STOP and FF
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#17 OFFLINE   Haps

Haps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:45 AM

I was a little bummed when I first got my HR20 about losing the skip as well. But now a month later I have grown to like the slip instead.

#18 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

So on a TiVo you are willing to hit SKIP, followed by a skip back...What is the difference then with SLIP... and hitting play or jump back...
Especially in those cases where it is more then 30s between pitches/snaps/ect ? At least with the SLIP... you can SEE what it going on...

What if it was Mark Buehrle which can get two pitches in a 30s period...With a skip, you could see the end of a strike out, hit ball ect...
before you could hit that jump back a few times...

This command is important to me. I prefer SKIP for commercials because it is instantanious. Simple as that. Hit the button 5 or 6 times real fast. Commercial done in 1 or 2 seconds. With slip or my now preferred 3x FF it takes 7 or 8 seconds. 4 times longer. For football I prefer 25 second instant skip and jump back as needed between plays. I just posted this request on the HR20 wish list. We need to be able to at least toggle this command in the setup. Slip/skip with variable time adjustment would be ideal for now with future remotes having both buttons optimal. Isn't there a tivo patent fee or workaround problem with skip?

#19 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

This command is important to me. I prefer SKIP for commercials because it is instantanious. Simple as that. Hit the button 5 or 6 times real fast. Commercial done in 1 or 2 seconds. With slip or my now preferred 3x FF it takes 7 or 8 seconds. 4 times longer. For football I prefer 25 second instant skip and jump back as needed between plays. I just posted this request on the HR20 wish list. We need to be able to at least toggle this command in the setup. Slip/skip with variable time adjustment would be ideal for now with future remotes having both buttons optimal. Isn't there a tivo patent fee or workaround problem with skip?

Amen
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

I prefer slip. I think it's actually faster than 3x, slower than 4x. I'd rather take the roughly 2 seconds and see what I'm missing. Sometimes something catches my eyel.

I've got skip enabled on my R10 DirecTivo and when I have to use it, I find it a little jarring.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...