Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 sec skip with HR-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lman

lman

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

So on a TiVo you are willing to hit SKIP, followed by a skip back...
What is the difference then with SLIP... and hitting play or jump back...

Especially in those cases where it is more then 30s between pitches/snaps/ect ?

At least with the SLIP... you can SEE what it going on...

What if it was Mark Buehrle which can get two pitches in a 30s period...
With a skip, you could see the end of a strike out, hit ball ect... before you could hit that jump back a few times...

I along with most people don't want to watch the advertisements(even in FF). If I wanted to watch the advertisements I wouldn't have a DVR. The difference is that with the HR20 you are forced to watch the advertisements and are unable to instantly skip them. I feel that I pay enough for my TV service and would rather not be forced to watch the advertisements.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

The sponsors pay a lot too.

#23 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Slip, skip. Whatever, I like both.

#24 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

I along with most people don't want to watch the advertisements(even in FF). If I wanted to watch the advertisements I wouldn't have a DVR. The difference is that with the HR20 you are forced to watch the advertisements and are unable to instantly skip them. I feel that I pay enough for my TV service and would rather not be forced to watch the advertisements.

You didn't pay enough, obviously. Or the network TV doesn't need to take money from the advertisers.

#25 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

I actually now prefer the FF slip vs. the skip.. it's really fast enough to be good.. and yet I catch quick glimpses of things I really want to know something about.. upcoming shows etc.

Don't fret it you will love it!

Same here. It's just fast enough to not be a bother, but let you know if you might want to go back and watch something in real time. I like it better than the skip.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#26 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

I prefer slip. With skip, I ended up with too many jump backs anyway. With slip, I can actually stop it before the slip is completed. It's quite useful before you figure out the rythmn of the commercial breaks.

Slip is more useful than skip during football games. It's essential for watching 4-5 games in 2-3 hours.

#27 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

I prefer slip to skip for three reasons:

1) I don't have to program it in like you do on a TiVo, then button is just there.

2) Slip isn't "blind" like skip. When I see the ball snapped, I hit the Jump Back button and I'm good to go.

3) I can load up Slip incrementally. For a commercial break, I hit it 6 or 8 times and hit the Jump Back when I see the show has resumed.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#28 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:17 AM

I prefer slip to skip for three reasons:

1) I don't have to program it in like you do on a TiVo, then button is just there.

2) Slip isn't "blind" like skip. When I see the ball snapped, I hit the Jump Back button and I'm good to go.

3) I can load up Slip incrementally. For a commercial break, I hit it 6 or 8 times and hit the Jump Back when I see the show has resumed.

That is just the way I do it as well I have grown to like it better.

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I came in to using the HR20 not liking the SLIP, but I'm slowly coming around to liking it. The primary reason is while slipping through commercials, I have actually seen a lot of promos for upcoming movies, specials, series, etc., that I used to skip right over and know nothing about. Now I'm finding my self replaying some network promos when things look interesting.

#30 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Well, Obviously lots of people love slip, and so do I. That's why i'm strongly advocating a minimum of BOTH options in setup to keep everybody happy. I don't think Verizon even has this button so i'm staying with D*. E* forces 30 sec skip on a dedicated button (not reset like the HR10) but at least they have DLB. TWC has no skip or slip. This makes D* funner (and faster) to watch sports with (NFL). The RC64 doesn't have both buttons. I would hope the next gen. would instead of red/green suggestion buttons. Only so many buttons.

spam firewall