Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Video/Audio Sync Issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

Perhaps this has been brought up in the forums before. But I did not find a good answer to my question so here it is.

First a little info on my Setup. I have 2 HR20's, one is an HR20-700 which I have in my bed room hooked up to an LCD Flat Panel. The other is an HR20-100 that I have hooked up to a 1080p 61" DLP via the HDMI output wuth an Optical connection for Dolby Digital to my Receiver.

Lately, on the HR20-100, I have noticed that sometimes the Audio/Video are out of Synch. Especially on HBOHD, but it happens on other channels too. I guess I just notice it more on Movies because I pay closer attention to dialog. Anyhow. Is there ANY Remedy when this happens to get the Audio/Video back in Sync? Is there anything I can do at all. Once I notice the problem it is very hard NOT to focus on it and then it really just becomes a HUGE annoyance for me.

PLEASE HELP!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

I noticed this on my HR20-100s last night watching my local news.
Jeff

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

Try physically disconnecting / reconnecting the HDMI and see if the sync straightens out for a while...

Any chance that one or both of the displays are Samsungs? I see the exact same thing on my Samsung tube connected via HDMI, but it's not a problem if I connect via component. I've seen lots of other people say they have the same sync issues via HDMI on Samsungs.

Also, ESPN just has inherent issues... so don't use them as a reference.

#4 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have a Toshiba TV hooked up to the HR20 with Component and the audio cables come from the HR20 and into my receiver.
Jeff

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Crypter

Crypter

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

Try physically disconnecting / reconnecting the HDMI and see if the sync straightens out for a while...

Any chance that one or both of the displays are Samsungs? I see the exact same thing on my Samsung tube connected via HDMI, but it's not a problem if I connect via component. I've seen lots of other people say they have the same sync issues via HDMI on Samsungs.

Also, ESPN just has inherent issues... so don't use them as a reference.

Actually the TV in question is a Samsung. But I do not want to use the Component Output because the image looks a little better when connected via the HDMI cable. I will probably be getting an Audio REceiver with HDMI inputs so that I can pass the audio via the HDMI through the reciever then output the HDMI from my Receiver to my TV.

Can the HR20 Transmit Dolby Digital through the HDMI?

#6 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

Actually the TV in question is a Samsung. But I do not want to use the Component Output because the image looks a little better when connected via the HDMI cable. I will probably be getting an Audio REceiver with HDMI inputs so that I can pass the audio via the HDMI through the reciever then output the HDMI from my Receiver to my TV.

Can the HR20 Transmit Dolby Digital through the HDMI?

Yes, but I'm not sure that just splitting off the audio first will fix it. There's at least a 50/50 chance that it's some sort of progressive buffering issue. In other words, the video display path inside the TV progressively gets later and later, but the audio keeps getting delivered 'in time'. So the video keeps slipping later and later, making the audio appear to get delivered earlier and earlier. You can try buffering the audio with a higher-end receiver... but since the delay isn't static, it'll still drive you insane. Each time the HDMI re-negotiates, the delay will be a relatively small value. Over time, it will grow until it becomes a large value. Since you can't have the receiver dynamically detect the lag and change on the fly, you'll either be continually monkeying with it, or you'll end up overcompensating with audio delay until it feels like watching a ballgame from the upper deck.

(Bat swing).... .... .... "Crack!"

If my theory is correct, nothing short of either Samsung providing some sort of update/fix for their sets... or sticking with component input... will keep it from continuing to happen.

I think the DD is sent via HDMI, but I'm not sure.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...