Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just got my HR20 Ordered! - CHEAP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

I just got off the phone with Directv and got an hr20 upgrade for 21.15!!
Does anyone know the exact model that I will be receiving? Or how long it takes for me to receive it? (shipped ups fedex?)

Thanks
Nick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pluvious

Pluvious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Wtf.. I have been with D* for 9 years straight and I had to pay $200+ to get my system upgraded?.. I'm tempted to call and complain!

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone know the exact model that I will be receiving? Or how long it takes for me to receive it? (shipped ups fedex?)

Thanks
Nick

You will either get the HR20-100 or the HR20-700. They are basically the same. Do a search if you want to know the exact differences (dozens of threads discussing them).

My guess is that you will have it in 2 or 3 days. Do you already have a 5 lnb dish? If not, you will need that too.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

I have been with them for 7 or 8 years. I have had this current tivo unit for 3 1/2 years. When I called I told them that dish network was sending me flyer's for there dvr and wanted to know what D* offered. They told me I was eligible for a hardware upgrade and only had to pay shipping.

I dont have the new dish yet, but its getting scheduled for installation on the 30th. I assume they will bring it then vs sending me the dish.

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

I dont have the new dish yet, but its getting scheduled for installation on the 30th. I assume they will bring it then vs sending me the dish.

Yes they will, along with a new multi-switch. The installer may also bring the HR20 with them, unless D* specifically told you they were shipping it to you. If they do ship it, it will arrive via FedEx ground.

#6 OFFLINE   ddeen

ddeen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

I just got the HD package today, Slimline dish, and HR20-100, upgraded from R15-500 and small dish that I had for 1.5 years. All for $20. Kept the R15 and put it in the bedroom. The installation tech had everything with them when they came to install.

#7 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Thanks
Nick

I'm not telling you what I payed for my 2 HR20's!:D :D

#8 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,842 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks
Nick

Way to go, Nick! I bet you are just drooling all over the media room.:)

Get your OTA antenna all ready to go ahead of time. You're gonna wanna play.:D

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

Yes I cant wait to get things installed so I can play! I have not had a tivo-dvr updated in about 3 years. My unit did not update software version. It didn't even have a option to just show the channels I receive.

Does the hr20 do this? So if I change subscriptions or new channels get added from D* will this update by itself?

#10 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

It's supposed to do that automatically. But, that part of the software does not work. At this point, you manually need to pick the channels you would like in the guide.

Yes I cant wait to get things installed so I can play! I have not had a tivo-dvr updated in about 3 years. My unit did not update software version. It didn't even have a option to just show the channels I receive.

Does the hr20 do this? So if I change subscriptions or new channels get added from D* will this update by itself?

#11 OFFLINE   Nick-IA

Nick-IA

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Damn that really sucks. Thats how my 4 year old piece of equipment works.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

I did the same thing. Played a little CSR roulette and got my second HR20 for $20. It was installed today in place of an aging DirecTivo.

I got the HR20-100 this time so I have both the -700 and the -100.

#13 OFFLINE   curbside

curbside

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

Thanks
Nick

I got the same deal last month. My HR20 was $19.95 + tax. They told me I would get a 700 but the installer brought a 100. No problem with me. He replaced my old dish with the new slimline one at no charge. I've been with D* for over 10 years.

Doug

#14 OFFLINE   planomateo

planomateo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:45 AM

Nice job on the HR20 price. I got a pretty good deal about 6 months ago. I've been a D* customer for about 4-5 years and have been paying over ~$120 the whole time. Got the 1st HD Tivo for $1K when it came out and it broke twice on me, which they replaced so I've been a HD customer since the beginning.

anyways, on to the deal...

I got $20 off for 6 months, got the first HR20 for shipping only (around $25), plus I got a 2nd HR20 for $99 + shipping, etc (roughly $120-130). I still have my older HD Tivo unit as well.

Now I need to figure out how to get NFL + Superfan for cheaper than what they are asking....

-matt

#15 OFFLINE   oldavman

oldavman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

I just got off the phone with Directv and they are replacing my HR10-250 with a new HR20 for $21.40 delivered. (Two weeks ago they wanted $299 plus tax.) I also have another HR20-700. The CSR told me there were no promotions running that would swap out the HR10-250 for a new HR20. But, after I told her that I have been a customer since 1999, originally had to pay for all my equipment, subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan she gave me the deal above. Persistence and leverage?

#16 OFFLINE   william8004

william8004

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

By the time I got off the phone for my second HR20, they paid me $40.00

#17 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

By the time I got off the phone for my second HR20, they paid me $40.00

You guys are all paying a monthly rental fee for the new unit though right? I got mine upgraded for free (not even shipping), but I'm now paying about $5/month lease for it.

-steve

#18 OFFLINE   innersanctum

innersanctum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

Mine was recently upgraded for free when I moved. I was asked when I was moving if I wanted the upgrade from the HR10 to the HR20 for $99.95. I told them that I am happy with the Tivo version and didn't want to switch. Then they said, "Well, you have been a good customer with us for a long time so we will just give you the upgrade for free on your move. They did, it's installed and things are going good. Now if they would just launch the new HD channels!

#19 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Wtf.. I have been with D* for 9 years straight and I had to pay $200+ to get my system upgraded?.. I'm tempted to call and complain!

:soapbox:
I'm with you... Loyal customers like you and I are getting $100 discount and paying $200 to get HR20s. Basically we are paying for the cheapskate whiners to get free equipment. :nono2: Personally I'd prefer not to hear about how people finagled D* by threatening to leave, calling customer retention 350 times, etc... Shut up, pay the going rate or offer and then the price should come down for everybody.

Granted some of this issue is DirecTVs problem for even catering to the whiners... D* needs to be consistent.

#20 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Personally I'd prefer not to hear about how people finagled D* by threatening to leave, calling customer retention 350 times, etc... Shut up, pay the going rate or offer and then the price should come down for everybody.

I paid $99 for my HR20 in September, and I didn't threaten or call 350 times at all. I simply called them up and asked what they could do for me, since I've been a long-time customer and always paid my bills on time. It's not my fault that you're a pushover and blindly accept whatever DirecTV tells you. When you're dealing with a service-oriented company, prices are rarely set in stone.

spam firewall