Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just got my HR20 Ordered! - CHEAP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   roconnell

roconnell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

I'll add one for for the list. I've been with DTV for 12 or 13 years. I got my HR20-700 for $19.95 5 months ago, with no rental fee for the unit, and some free movie channels for three months. I didn't call 350 times but I did ask customer service why Dish network was giving thier's away free and Directv wasn't.
HR20-700
Panasonic 42", Plasma
OTA
HDMI
CID not functional

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   FreakyD

FreakyD

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

I'll add one for for the list. I've been with DTV for 12 or 13 years. I got my HR20-700 for $19.95 5 months ago, with no rental fee for the unit, and some free movie channels for three months. I didn't call 350 times but I did ask customer service why Dish network was giving thier's away free and Directv wasn't.

Add me to this list. I ended up receiving the free upgrade to the HR20 (to be installed tomorrow), but only after I questioned D* twice on why I was being asked to pay $199 for something I don't own and am paying each month to rent. I couldn't get an answer that made sense, so I asked to cancel my service. Suddenly, I'm being treated like the King of Siam (by Retention, I assume), but I still didn't get a satisfactory answer to that question. So, I look to the fine members of this forum to help me out.

I respect the frustration of those who have paid for their boxes, because I was going to be one of those people until I threatened to switch to Dish Network. To be clear, that wasn't an idle threat or merely a tactic. I had already discussed the switch with Dish and, although I love D*, I would have jumped on principle had D* insisted on charging me for the HD box (and gotten a better long-term deal to boot). Did D* shoot themselves in the foot by moving to the leased equipment business model, or do they profit in the long run due to the added monthly fee regardless of having to comp the cost of the equipment?

So here I sit, allegedly satisfied 'cause I got my HD comin', but I still haven't heard a good answer to the question: Why does D* insist on charging $199 or $299 for the upgrade when competitors offer a similar product for no cost? I know that the disparity can be caused in part because a competitor will take the loss on the equipment up front to get the subscriber, but that argument doesn't always hold water. So I'm honestly wondering D*'s motivation and why they don't cave unless or until someone threatens to jump ship?

#23 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

or do they profit in the long run due to the added monthly fee regardless of having to comp the cost of the equipment?

There is no added monthly fee. It's just called a "lease" fee instead of a "mirror" fee. It's still $4.99, and it's still waived for the first receiver.

spam firewall