Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of Upgrading questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattbooty

mattbooty

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions already answered somewhere on this forum, but I've been browsing and haven't found solid answers to any of them so here they are. They are all about myself possibly upgrading my HD Tivo to the new DirecTV DVR when the new HD stations come out. I know I'm missing some of the questions I had in my head, I'll post more if I remember.

1) If I get a new DirecTv HD DVR and the new dish that is required, will my 10-250 still be able to pull in the MPEG2 HD stations if I keep it activated? (So could I keep both activated and only use the new DVR for the new MPEG4 stations, or until I get used to it).

2) Does the DirecTV HD DVR require 1 or 2 cables into it for dual tuner? I've seen mixed answers to this question.

3) Does the DirecTV HD DVR support OTA or not? I see mixed reactions to this in the forums.

4) I get NBC HD from New York because of a waiver from the local affiliate, will that still work on the DirecTV HD DVR?

5) Does the DirecTV HD DVR do the time correction on fast forward that jumps it back a second or two when you stop? I've seen some posts saying it is lacking this feature and others saying it is available.

Thanks for your help. I'm a huge Tivo fan, have had it since the 15 hour series 1 tivos first came out, so its hard for me to start thinking about switching, but if I want to stick with DirecTV its looking like I may have to. The DirecTV DVR's may be great, I'm just so used to Tivo its going to be a mental struggle for me to make the change :). Hopefully the answers to these questions will help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mattbooty

mattbooty

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

I did think of 2 more questions!

6) I had heard there was an issue with picking a program to watch that is already in progress, that its very easy to accidentally see the middle of it while trying to get to the beginning? Like in Tivo if I know its in the middle of something I'll hit the tivo button before even turning on the TV so I know I won't accidentally see (for example) the score of the game live in the 3rd quarter when I'm trying to start it from the beginning.

7) Is there anywhere I can go to see some images or videos of the interface?

Thanks again to anyone who can help!

#3 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

1) Yes. I have done this exactly.
2) Currently it requires two.
3) It does support OTA, but your mileage will vary on the effectiveness of this support.
4) None of your programming should change due to the installation of the new DVR.
5) Autocorrect, as it is being called, is being tested as we speak. It has a good chance of being available in the next national release of the DVR software.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#4 OFFLINE   colts19

colts19

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions already answered somewhere on this forum, but I've been browsing and haven't found solid answers to any of them so here they are. They are all about myself possibly upgrading my HD Tivo to the new DirecTV DVR when the new HD stations come out. I know I'm missing some of the questions I had in my head, I'll post more if I remember.

1) If I get a new DirecTv HD DVR and the new dish that is required, will my 10-250 still be able to pull in the MPEG2 HD stations if I keep it activated? (So could I keep both activated and only use the new DVR for the new MPEG4 stations, or until I get used to it). Yes

2) Does the DirecTV HD DVR require 1 or 2 cables into it for dual tuner? I've seen mixed answers to this question. 2 cables

3) Does the DirecTV HD DVR support OTA or not? I see mixed reactions to this in the forums. Yes

4) I get NBC HD from New York because of a waiver from the local affiliate, will that still work on the DirecTV HD DVR? Don't know.

5) Does the DirecTV HD DVR do the time correction on fast forward that jumps it back a second or two when you stop? I've seen some posts saying it is lacking this feature and others saying it is available. No

Thanks for your help. I'm a huge Tivo fan, have had it since the 15 hour series 1 tivos first came out, so its hard for me to start thinking about switching, but if I want to stick with DirecTV its looking like I may have to. The DirecTV DVR's may be great, I'm just so used to Tivo its going to be a mental struggle for me to make the change :). Hopefully the answers to these questions will help!

I too love my tivo, but had to move forward. The new dvr has somethings I really like and it is a good product. I will never get use to not having to live buffers, other than that I'm happy with it. I still have my tivo in another room as a secondary dvr.:lol:
tim

#5 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

6) Maybe. You would have to go into My Playlist and start the program from there. However, if it is recording the in the current buffer, you may see the program in the PIP box while in the guide.
7) Yes. Do a search for New GUI.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

1: yes
2:2 for dual tuner operation, it can run with one but you can only use 1 sat feed this way (still can use 2 ota)
3: yes 2 of them..
4: I would assume so..
5: a test release has it but it is unknown if it will make "national" status..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   mattbooty

mattbooty

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Since there are a few months until the new HD stations come along I'm going to hold off until then or at least until they add that time correction feature, thats one of my favorite features. I know the sticking point for most people is the dual live buffers, but I never really use that feature much so it won't hurt me. The other thing that I'm still concerned about is seeing live video while trying to start a recording program from the beginning. I know last football season I went to my Dad's place to watch the Ohio State v Michigan game which they were recording on a cable dvr, the game was in the 3rd quarter and we turned the tv on and that dvr overlays the menus on top of the live video. As soon as we turned it on we heard the announcers discussing the score and saw the score while trying to start from the beginning... at that point it wasn't worth starting it over. So thats something I hope they do something about in a future software update.

I'll probably keep my eye on the forum and check back closer to the launch of the new HD stations to see what improvements have been made then before breakign down and buying one. Thanks for your help.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

...I'm going to hold off until then or at least until they add that time correction feature,

No promises but it's a fair bet that the feature will be available before you could get an installation appointment. New HD channels are coming soon and installation will probably be very backed up.

My advice would be to pull the trigger now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

I'm going to hold off until then or at least until they add that time correction feature, thats one of my favorite features

The time correction feature (called FF correction) is now included standard in the new software going out to the HR20-700 model and is starting it's testing phase on the HR20-100 model this weekend (and will probably be standard on the -100 model in a week or two).
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#10 OFFLINE   EdK99

EdK99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Since there are a few months until the new HD stations come along I'm going to hold off until then or at least until they add that time correction feature, thats one of my favorite features.

This feature is somewhat their now. If instead of pressing the play button to stop the FF you press the "skip back 6 seconds" button (not sure of the name) it is above the play button to the left i think it will skip back 6 seconds. If still not to where you want to be press it again to go back a little more.

As other have said order now because the backlog is only going to get worse from here on out.
2 HR20-700s
1 HR21-700b

#11 OFFLINE   mattbooty

mattbooty

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

Well its good to know there is at least a way to accomplish the same feature. Luckily in my area there is not a huge demand for DirecTV. I remember when regular locals were first available in my market I was told to get my order in early, the backlog would be huge, etc, etc. But they were able to come out within a week to install my locals dish. I think it'll be even less for HD, the surrounding areas aren't ones where you would expect HD to be prevalent. All small towns. I'll probably hold off until we see a solid date/channel lineup for the new HD stations before I jump on it. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good upgrade deal then also.

#12 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

I am also wondering if you can start a program from the beginning without seeing it when you turn on the DVR. I have had many a ballgame ruined because of this. IMO this is an issue that needs to be addressed on this and the R-15. There should be an option to turn off the PIP that shows when you press the button that brings up your recorded shows. Hope it is in the upcoming SW realease

Protected By... spam firewall...And...