Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power Outages While Recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

So today i was recording an episode of Boy Meets World on ABC family and the power went out cause of a thunderstorm, so the receiver restarted. The strangest thing though was that the recording light never went off. In order to get it off i had to start recording again then stop that. Nothing else like hitting stop or changing the channel worked. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

Oh btw there was another outage right after the HR20 cane back on :mad: . i really hate this cause i dont want the box to screw up......especially the one i'm talking about cause it had NO problems aside from media share and doesnt even have the chirp like the other one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

So today i was recording an episode of Boy Meets World on ABC family and the power went out cause of a thunderstorm, so the receiver restarted. The strangest thing though was that the recording light never went off. In order to get it off i had to start recording again then stop that. Nothing else like hitting stop or changing the channel worked. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

Oh btw there was another outage right after the HR20 cane back on :mad: . i really hate this cause i dont want the box to screw up......especially the one i'm talking about cause it had NO problems aside from media share and doesnt even have the chirp like the other one.

Three words:

U - P - S

Edit: I finally beat Earl!! (Dancing around room like an idot)

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

I have seen it on my R15... and others have reported it on the HR20.

Highly recommend that you pickup at least a small UPS for the HR20, to help it keep constant power during quick temporary power outages.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

I have seen it on my R15... and others have reported it on the HR20.

Highly recommend that you pickup at least a small UPS for the HR20, to help it keep constant power during quick temporary power outages.

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea. Especially since Florida is 3PM thunderstorm land. Does anyone have a recommended UPS that i can get. Preferably a cost effective one cause i gotta buy 2.

If the main box that i was talking about craps out I'm likely to have a heart attack. Thats were all the recordings are. Plus i dont wanna have the chance of it getting replaced with a -100 cause I want my CE's.

The other HR20, well i dont care that much about it. I dont even use that one and there's barely anything on it It can die and i'd take any replacement they give me. :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

Three words:

U - P - S

Those are letters......

these are words:

You
Pea
Ess (not really a word, but.....)

!rolling

Anyway, I have mine on an APC Back-UPS ES 650. It provides enough juice and time to properly turn off TV with the fan and cool-down period. I've got my DVD plugged into it also.
Scott

Slimline 3/SWiM

Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000
HR34-700 via HDMI, Whole Home, Native On, 480p, 720p, 1080i
2 TB external eSATA
Harmony 700

Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
HR20-700 via Component (Damn HDCP!), Whole Home, Native On, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
OTA

Hooked to regular TV's:
HR20-700, Whole Home, patiently waiting for a new TV!
2 R16-300's (1 SlingBoxed)
1 D12 standard receiver

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea. Especially since Florida is 3PM thunderstorm land. Does anyone have a recommended UPS that i can get. Preferably a cost effective one cause i gotta buy 2.

Define cost effective? I spent $130 on mine, but you can do better. I bought one from Belkin that looks like a piece of audio equipment, but you can get a computer UPS for under $100 that will do the trick.

#7 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

Your power is supplied by Florida Flicker and Flash, time for a UPS.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

Those are letters......

these are words:

You
Pea
Ess (not really a word, but.....)

!rolling

Anyway, I have mine on an APC Back-UPS ES 650. It provides enough juice and time to properly turn off TV with the fan and cool-down period. I've got my DVD plugged into it also.

Of course Uninterruptable Power Supply are three words :lol:
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

If the main box that i was talking about craps out I'm likely to have a heart attack. Thats were all the recordings are. Plus i dont wanna have the chance of it getting replaced with a -100 cause I want my CE's.

The other HR20, well i dont care that much about it. I dont even use that one and there's barely anything on it It can die and i'd take any replacement they give me. :lol:

I just got a new one at Sams...haven't seen it before...new model for APC. It is designed for home theater and computer use. It ain't cheap at $139.00, but it has a nice LED display, showing line voltage and run-time. There are lots of 39 dollar units by APC to choose from. Check you local Sam's or Wally World.

APC Back-UPS NS 1250...should run the HR20 for an hour by the looks of it. Probably only 15 mins or so with a large TV plugged in as well.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

Something like this will do fine:
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1099395267085

$40

Check the Sunday Paper ads, you will often see them on sale for sub-$30

If you are only looking for ones that will get you through Sub 15 minute power outages, these will do fine.

If you want to go longer like 30 minutes, an hour or even more...
You be gradually getting more expensive.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

It's extremely irritating to miss 8 minutes (approximate time for an HR20 to reboot and acquire data from the satellites) of a favorite show because the power winked out for 1 second!

UPS is essential!

I've only got a 350va on mine. Nothing but the HR20 is plugged into it. That's enough to keep the HR20 going for at least 30 minutes.

#12 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Yep, you can always go bigger... My apc1500 will hold my whole system up for 20-30 minutes, don't even know how long for just the DVRs :) (and has a option for 3x time with second batt)
Also don't forget: if you have a powered multiswitch to back that up too...

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#13 OFFLINE   L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:11 PM

Uninterruptable Power Supply

Oh, OK! Get technical about it!:D :D
Scott

Slimline 3/SWiM

Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000
HR34-700 via HDMI, Whole Home, Native On, 480p, 720p, 1080i
2 TB external eSATA
Harmony 700

Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
HR20-700 via Component (Damn HDCP!), Whole Home, Native On, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
OTA

Hooked to regular TV's:
HR20-700, Whole Home, patiently waiting for a new TV!
2 R16-300's (1 SlingBoxed)
1 D12 standard receiver

#14 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

wow i dont think any of my threads ever got this kinda attention! Thanks! I really appreciate this guys!

umm i like the one earl showed me, i think its best for the small 2 second outages, but i wouldnt want to overload that one with my home theater stuff for the secondary HR20 so i may spring for a more high end.
Where my main Hr20 is there is that, a Xbox 360, a PS3, a Wii, and a stupid 5 year old stereo(which i may replace with a good AV receiver very soon ). But the HR20 take precedence over all of those as it is more likely to be on during a big storm..i wouldnt have 400-600 bucks worth game systems on in thunderstorms. I suppose i can get something a little higher end for that one too. Possibly the $80 dollar version of what you showed me earl. I'm assuming that these things are better than my $90 Monster Surge protectors right?

Usually i'd spring for the biggest thing out there, but i've spent way too much lately. 2 HR20's in March, PS3 in April, 10 Blu-ray movies in May with some games, Theme park tickets for family that came to visit me in June, and now who knows what this month has in store on the next week and a half.

EDIT: houskamp Umm is the WB68 powered??...i guess if was id know...ummm if i get picked for SWM or i just get it when its released i know id have to back the PI up.
Oh and can someone tell me what a Sonora Polarity locker or somethin like that is? I cant seem to figure out their use.

spam firewall