Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA and new 5 LNB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

I very much appreciate all of the information the Echelon has and the help that they provide. You all are valuable. I absolutely know that you all are trying to help. I am trying to learn why this is a bad idea. I am not trying to challenge you all.

I don't think anybody was taking it as a challenge.
I hope you now know that it's the distance the BBCs are from the receiver that is [or could be] the problem.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Why is the first answer on this always 'No"?

You need to understand the question to understand why the first answer was no. The question was if the OTA could be fed into the new multiswitch. The answer is no.

#23 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

So I guess we're to assume that the info we were given before was incorrect, and that some of the post-output of the BBCs overlaps (frequency-wise) with OTA?

I was under the impression that the conflict area was between the LNB and the BBC... and that the BBC did something similar to a block-upconvert, and that the 'destination' frequency range was not in conflict with OTA.

Anyone have the actual frequency ranges?

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

You need to understand the question to understand why the first answer was no. The question was if the OTA could be fed into the new multiswitch. The answer is no.

Agreed the answer to the original poster is absolutely no, as there is no ota input port on the new multiswitch.

However, along about post number 6, the conversation tended to change to the broader issue of diplexing as opposed to the specific question of the multiswitch (and it may be that the original poster was really trying to ask the more general question).

Thanks to harsh for noting the distinction in the original post.

I guess (and hope) we will know all the other answers in a couple of months.

Carl

#25 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

So I guess we're to assume that the info we were given before was incorrect, and that some of the post-output of the BBCs overlaps (frequency-wise) with OTA?

I was under the impression that the conflict area was between the LNB and the BBC... and that the BBC did something similar to a block-upconvert, and that the 'destination' frequency range was not in conflict with OTA.

Anyone have the actual frequency ranges?

You are correct. The frequency overlap is not an issue post bbc. The issue post bbc is how far you can separate the bbc from the receiver.

The intermediate frequency (output of the dish to the bbc) is 250 to 750 MHz. The bbc up-converts that beyond the ota range.

Carl

#26 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

You are correct. The frequency overlap is not an issue post bbc. The issue post bbc is how far you can separate the bbc from the receiver.

The intermediate frequency (output of the dish to the bbc) is 250 to 750 MHz. The bbc up-converts that beyond the ota range.

Carl

OK that's what I suspected. So it's twofold:

1) Signal loss due to the fact that the BBC output is a much higher frequency, leading to increased loss per foot of coax...

and

2) BBC signaling failure due to "signaling" voltage or signal loss/corruption due to distance... the "signaling" being the control signals being sent from the receiver to the BBC.

spam firewall