Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

modem fried?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cornflakes

cornflakes

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi everyone, so here's my situation. My VIP622 has been working very happily with my VoIP phone, Sunrocket. It was able to call out, download my bill, etc.

So some of you may know that Sunrocket went out of business a couple of days ago and service went dead. The VIP622 popped up with the message saying I need to connect it to a phone line. That's fine and to be expected.

I switched my VoIP service to a new company called ViaTalk, and reconfigured my existing Sunrocket phone adapter to the new service. The new configuration works fine and I'm able to make calls.

The problem is, the VIP622 is telling me that it can't find a dial tone (when I do Diagnostics->Connection). I've checked the line and even plugged a regular phone using the cable feeding into the VIP622, and there's a dial tone. I've restarted the VIP622, and even unplugged/replugged the power, and the same thing.

I also have a Vonage account which also works. I plugged the VIP622 to the Vonage box, and I'm getting the same error message.

Now before anyone suggests that VoIP doesn't work for modem or fax calls, I don't think we've even gotten that far yet. As of right now, the VIP622 doesn't detect a dial tone to even begin making a call.

Did the modem just die? What do you guys think?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

While it certainly could be the 622, it could also be the voip service... the 622's modem is designed to work with an analog line. If the dialtone presented doesn't have the proper frequency for a standard dialtone, the 622 might not recognize it. (Yes, like everything else in the telecomm industry, there's a standard for dialtones!)

A rather remote possibility is that the line polarity is reversed, which would be a problem with the voip interface; I don't know if the 622 cares, but some modems do. You could actually test that if you have a standard touch-tone phone... plug it in and see if you can dial. If you can, it's OK.

There's really only two ways to know for sure... try an analog line, or swap out your 622.

My avatar says it all.

#3 OFFLINE   cornflakes

cornflakes

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

Can you guys do me a huge favor and try these two things for me?

1. When you go to the Diagnostics menu and choose Connection, do you hear the modem inside the VIP622 make a click noise (an actual click noise that you can hear inside the box when the modem goes off hook)?

2. If you are talking on the phone with somebody, and you choose Connection (assuming the VIP622 is connected to the same phone as the one you're talking on), do you hear a click over the phone, like someone else in the house picked up the handset?

I'm trying to determine whether it's an issue with the line or with the modem. Your feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!

#4 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:05 AM

1) No, at least, not that I can hear over the HDD and fan.

2) Yes. There's a definite click when the test starts, another when it ends (in a failure, since the line is in use).

My avatar says it all.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom in TX

Tom in TX

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:01 AM

The modem in my 622 died, and Dish is sending a replacement, and a credit for the "program access fee"!

Tom in TX

#6 OFFLINE   cornflakes

cornflakes

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

1) No, at least, not that I can hear over the HDD and fan.

2) Yes. There's a definite click when the test starts, another when it ends (in a failure, since the line is in use).

Thanks wje... i'm going to test it out a bit more... it definitely feels like the modem is dead but I'm not keen on replacing it just yet because I don't want to lose my recordings... hopefully when external USB support is available I'll be able to copy my recordings on there so I don't have to lose them, then I'll ask for a replacement.... In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get some more tests done...

#7 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

It sounds more like the new voip provider you have isn't providing the needed tone that the 622 has to have. They don't have to provide 1 for the phone system to work but 622 has to have it. Since 622 needs analog line then a digital line won't cut it. This is also true w/other types of devices as well like many fax machines. The station where I work just went to a digital phone system and we had to keep several analog only lines for certain devices to work (like the faxes). Took over a month to get the bugs out. Call the voip provider and maybe talking to their tech dept can help you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...