Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reduction in My Whining and Snivelling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,782 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

I've been pretty pissy about missing channels on OTA due to Tribune data being wrong...for over 6 months. Well, I have to give credit where credit is due. I emailed one of the local channels that was missing (actually the only one of the 3 missing that has any importance at all) and described my plight and asked them to contact Tribune about the problem.

That was yesterday. I got an email today from the Chief Engineer saying they had given Tribune the info quite a while ago and "they" still couldn't get it right. He said they hope to have it resolved soon. Tonight 23-1 CW network showed up...I didn't do a re-setup of the HR20..it just happened out of the blue. It's in the guide and I can tune to the channel. Interestingly, to be able to make signal measurements, I had to completely re-do my OTA setup in the HR20 or it wouldn't show on the signal screen. No biggie. Excellent quality signal: 90%!

Now...I'm not real happy that I had to do all the legwork on this....but in fact, that is what it took.

I guess I'll have to recommend to anyone missing OTA channels that they think they should be getting via the HR-20 to get off their hind end and do the legwork themselves if they want the channel to show up.

The silliness of this "chase your tail" odyssey makes an even bigger case for why we need the HR20 to scan for channels and not rely on the half-baked info from/to Tribune.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Nice going hasan! :D

Glad you got your OTA situation resolved, even if it did take some work on your part. I'm sure other HR20 users in your area will be appreciative of your efforts.

#3 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,782 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

Nice going hasan! :D

Glad you got your OTA situation resolved, even if it did take some work on your part. I'm sure other HR20 users in your area will be appreciative of your efforts.

I was being pretty self-centered about this...I didn't even think of how it might benefit others in the area. God, it's easy to get tunnel vision about something when one obsesses!:D

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Hasan, you're way too critical of yourself. You are a pillar of this site and everything you do, including your honest indignation when something isn't right, benefits us all.

I'm glad that things are finally going your way guide-data-wise.

I too have seen some improvements in OTA, but this time from DIRECTV:

I had previously reported that 13-1 (KCOP-DT) was impossible to use through HR20 although it sometimes came in through my TV. It now comes in with a signal strength of 30-50, and is sometimes watchable.

OTA setup still shows channels I don't get, notably 24-1 and 46-1, but I would rather them list channels I don't get than not list channels I do.

If anyone at DIRECTV is listening, you should also be aware that 28-2 (KCET-DT2) is currently dark. It was a mirror of KCET-TV (SD) but now KCET-DT1 is an HD mirror of that station, and KCET-DT2 is reserved for future use.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,413 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

If you want something done right.......

A sign from in an Asian computer store: the nearest helping hand is at the end of your wrist.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall