Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mac Users: EyeConnect Works with the HR20

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

WOW- killer app.
All we need now is video - and who needs Apple TV. C'mon D* !

Machavez, can you get the "with slideshow" selection to work?

Do you need a slideshow already running, then add already playing music to join together?

Thanks.

yes and yes

When you select play with slide show, or if you want to look at photos and it will ask do you want to view with music, it will take you back to the menu and you select the audio/photos you want to go with the other.

You will need to create albums from the photos you want to view (if you have not already), otherwise all you will see is the entire iPhoto library as one huge slide show. you also need to turn sharing on in iPhoto. You may need to manually add iPhoto in the preference pane, even though it is there already.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

Killer - pulling from 3 computers on the network with music and photos.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#43 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

Here is something Im not sure if anyone is seeing. Currently when I select Music and Pictures Im seeing my computer listed 3 times. The first is the music and the other 2 say no files in folders. Im guessing the 2nd listing would be for any pictures and the 3rd is video?!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#44 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

WOW- killer app.
All we need now is video - and who needs Apple TV. C'mon D* !

I can imagine how all my ripped DVDs at iPod resolution will look on an HD set :D

#45 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Here is something Im not sure if anyone is seeing. Currently when I select Music and Pictures Im seeing my computer listed 3 times. The first is the music and the other 2 say no files in folders. Im guessing the 2nd listing would be for any pictures and the 3rd is video?!!

Twonky or EyeConnect?

#46 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

EyeConnect
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#47 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

Twonky or EyeConnect?

EyeConnect

The only thing I am see more than one of is in the sub menus is the photos, and that is due to having to manually add iPhoto a second time for the HR20 to stream photos. There were posts in the Twonky threads of the same thing

Just an FYI if you are debating about buying an activation key.
I received an e mail from Tech support stating that my activation key will work when the next full version is released in a few months.

#48 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

I think Im going to buy the key. I had been thinking about it but I like EyeConnect more than Twonky due to being about to play mp4s and the like. Thanks.
Dan Sholtis

#49 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

hehe - true. but it's also a lot cheaper than 300 bucks. :D

I can imagine how all my ripped DVDs at iPod resolution will look on an HD set :D

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#50 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

DC - is this because of the folders you have selected under the "Content" tab? By default, you should have a Music, Photos, Movies, and EyeTV folder.

I also had to manually add a second Photos folder to get it to read and list the photos properly. Make sure you don't delete the Default Photos folder, otherwise photos will stop working.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#51 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

THAT was my problem...:D Thanks!!
Dan Sholtis

#52 OFFLINE   toddrohner

toddrohner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

I am unable to access my photos or music with EyeConnect.

I have installed the software from the provided link. Installation went fine and EyeConnect detects the hr20 (as DIRECTV Plus HD DVR). It is checked to enable. On the content screen I have selected the check box for share my content. In both iPhoto and iDVD I have set preferences to allow sharing.

I saw mention in earlier posts of needing to add additional photo and music entries in EyeConnect. I tried this as both the folder type and iphoto or itunes type.

My computer shows up in the HR20 photos and music. When I select either the music or photos folder it says there are no files. The only time that I was able to get anything to show was when I re-executed the installer. This allowed my photo albums to show in the photos folder and playlists/songs to show in music folder. When this content was listed, it still would not "play" on hr20. This content no longer lists on the hr20.

For reference I am running EyeConnect on OS X 10.4.10 with all software up to date. HR20-700.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#53 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

I am unable to access my photos or music with EyeConnect.

I have installed the software from the provided link. Installation went fine and EyeConnect detects the hr20 (as DIRECTV Plus HD DVR). It is checked to enable. On the content screen I have selected the check box for share my content. In both iPhoto and iDVD I have set preferences to allow sharing.

I saw mention in earlier posts of needing to add additional photo and music entries in EyeConnect. I tried this as both the folder type and iphoto or itunes type.

My computer shows up in the HR20 photos and music. When I select either the music or photos folder it says there are no files. The only time that I was able to get anything to show was when I re-executed the installer. This allowed my photo albums to show in the photos folder and playlists/songs to show in music folder. When this content was listed, it still would not "play" on hr20. This content no longer lists on the hr20.

For reference I am running EyeConnect on OS X 10.4.10 with all software up to date. HR20-700.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You only need to add a second pictures sharing under content, delete the other music folder, that may be the source of the problem You mentioned having sharing turned on in iPhoto and iDVD; did you mean iTunes, not iDVD? Do you have port 2170 open? It sound like you do because the HR20 is showing up in the device pane, but I may be wrong on that.

PPC or Intel?

#54 OFFLINE   kbk

kbk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

I got my HR20 with EyeConnect, but not quite as expected.

For me the iPhoto and iTunes sharing did not work. On the music side I got this folder is empty messages when I would try any folder other than playlists. On the playlist i could see the playlist titles but nothing would happen when I tried to access those. On the photo side a similar thing was happening. I saw the albums and slideshows as folders but nothing would happen when I tried to access them. I turned on both iPhoto and iTunes sharing and turned off my firewall and it still wouldn't work.

Then, I added the actual folder containing my music "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" as a Folder type in EyeConnect and now I could access my music. However, my playlists don't work and can only navigate the music files as they are stored on my computer and not in the way that iTunes organizes them. I got photo sharing to work in a similar manner and with the same kinds of limitations.

Has anybody got their system working so that the iTunes and iPhoto functionality is available?

#55 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I got my HR20 with EyeConnect, but not quite as expected.

For me the iPhoto and iTunes sharing did not work. On the music side I got this folder is empty messages when I would try any folder other than playlists. On the playlist i could see the playlist titles but nothing would happen when I tried to access those. On the photo side a similar thing was happening. I saw the albums and slideshows as folders but nothing would happen when I tried to access them. I turned on both iPhoto and iTunes sharing and turned off my firewall and it still wouldn't work.

Then, I added the actual folder containing my music "~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" as a Folder type in EyeConnect and now I could access my music. However, my playlists don't work and can only navigate the music files as they are stored on my computer and not in the way that iTunes organizes them. I got photo sharing to work in a similar manner and with the same kinds of limitations.

Has anybody got their system working so that the iTunes and iPhoto functionality is available?

Welcome! :welcome_s

For some reason it is necessary to add a second photo sharing under content for the photos to play. With iPhoto it is best to create albums from your photos. This way you can view those photos and not have to go through the entire library. I have the songs in my iTunes library sorted by album. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have the option under the music menu to view them by artist, album, composer, etc.

#56 OFFLINE   toddrohner

toddrohner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

You only need to add a second pictures sharing under content, delete the other music folder, that may be the source of the problem You mentioned having sharing turned on in iPhoto and iDVD; did you mean iTunes, not iDVD? Do you have port 2170 open? It sound like you do because the HR20 is showing up in the device pane, but I may be wrong on that.

PPC or Intel?

My bad. Yes, itunes, not idvd. I have just completed a project in idvd, so it must be stuck in my head.

I have not activated the firewall on the computer, so port 2170 should be wide open from within the network.

I am using Intel. A month old macbook pro. FYI, my router is the Airport Extreme.

FWIW, my computer is listed on the HR20 twice. One of the computers listed the folders eyetv, movies, music, photos. The other computer immediately does not give these folders and lists no files.

#57 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

hey guys,
make sure you've downloaded the zip file pointing to the Beta version of the next release. As mentioned by machavez, the eariler version does not support music at all.

http://s3.amazonaws....ect/ec111b2.zip

Second, sounds like you've been tweaking the "Content" tab a bit.
You might try starting from scratch by removing all those shared folders you've got, and then adding back only the iTunes and iPhoto default folders (not any direct stand-alone folders like iTunes Music, etc. ) to start.

Make sure you DO NOT alter the name of the iTunes folder when you add it back.

Start Eye Connect running again, then test the HR-20 to see if your computer shows up, and hopefully just one :)

If it's talking to the HR-20, there's nothing wrong with your port/firewall settings.

I suspect what you've been seeing is a list of songs on the left side of the TV screen, with only "Hot Tips" or whatever showing up in the larger portion of the screen. If you see this, your music will not load. Your playlists, albums, podcasts etc should show on the left, and the track list inside those playlists should show up in that "Hot Tips" larger portion. Now it will work. Press STOP on the remote to stop the track and return to HR-20 channel audio.

For iPhoto, once you've added back the default iPhoto content (again, do NOT change the name of your iPhoto content), go ahead and go back to Content tab and add the iPhoto folder again, except this time give it another name. Keep both of those folders.

Just like iTunes, you should see iPhoto albums populating the left hand side, and a list of the images themselves within that Album populating the larger portion of the screen.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#58 OFFLINE   toddrohner

toddrohner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

I typically do not login as the admin user on my computer. I just login as a non admin. I initially installed the eyeconnect while logged in as non admin. I have not had problems installing other software this way. I just get prompted to enter the admin username and password.

With the difficulties I was having, I decided to uninstall the software and reinstall it as the admin user. Proceeding this way allowed the hr20 to connect to eyeconnect content without issue. Works great.

Thank you machavez00 and canis lupis for your help. :goodjob: I hope my explanation prevents others from making the same mistake that I did.

#59 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

I typically do not login as the admin user on my computer. I just login as a non admin. I initially installed the eyeconnect while logged in as non admin. I have not had problems installing other software this way. I just get prompted to enter the admin username and password.

With the difficulties I was having, I decided to uninstall the software and reinstall it as the admin user. Proceeding this way allowed the hr20 to connect to eyeconnect content without issue. Works great.

Thank you machavez00 and canis lupis for your help. :goodjob: I hope my explanation prevents others from making the same mistake that I did.

Not a mistake at all todd, and glad we could help. It makes sense that the home admin users folders may be the only accessible ones under the current Beta. thanks for the info.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#60 OFFLINE   toddrohner

toddrohner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

Not a mistake at all todd, and glad we could help. It makes sense that the home admin users folders may be the only accessible ones under the current Beta. thanks for the info.

Folders for both users are accessible. It was just that the installation needed be completed by the admin user.

When I pick the pictures or music on the hr20, it lists both users (and the extra iphoto I created). I just select which one I want and then content for selected user is available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...