Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two TVs (different rooms) - one HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ahself

ahself

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thanks to the "What the latest deals are" thread, I called up DirecTV and, after some nudging, got the HR20 for s/h + tax (~$21). The Installer came out yesterday and, with a little help from me to make things go faster, he installed the dish and the HR20-100 with no issues.

However, I'm currently having problems linking two TVs in different rooms together using the same HR20 output.

As background, I pre-wired my rooms with two coax outputs and have an equipment closet where all runs feed into...the multiswitch is there as well. With the old D* Tivo unit, I used a diplexer to get the signal from RF Out on the unit through the wall to the multiswitch and another diplexer from the multiswitch through a different wall to my second TV. I controled the channels using an RF extender and it worked perfect.

Now, with no RF Out on the HR20, I'm having some trouble. I've read about using a RF Modulator and I've read the "Connecting Multiple TVs" pdf, but I'm trying to figure out if that will work in my situation, and why my current alternative won't work.

My idea was to use my existing DVD player, which has an RF Out, in the same capacity as the RF Modulator. I ran the S-Video and Audio cables from the HR20 to the DVD player and a coax from the RF Out on the DVD player to the Diplexer. I have the same wiring and setup as before using the diplexers. However, the video and audio come through on the second TV but appear scrambled.

Any thoughts on why the signal is coming through scrambled? Does the RF Modulator do something else that my DVD player doesn't? Lastly, if I need an RF Modulator, I assume I can still use the diplexer setup to get the signals through the walls as described above?

TYIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,731 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

I don't know if this is an option for you, but you can use CAT5 cable to create an SVIDEO cable. Just buy the SVIDEO adapters from Leviton, available at Home Depot.

The HR20 remote can be used in RF mode, so all you need to do is figure out the sound...

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

I have had that same issue before, scrambled images being fed through a DVD recorder. The DVD recorder's DRM circuitry was preventing it. I bypassed the recorder and everything was fine. FWIW
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

As nearly free as they are would you consider ordering a second HR20? Sounds like you have the the wiring to do it...:)
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#5 OFFLINE   PANCHITO

PANCHITO

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

Have you try to change resolution on the HR20 to 480i or 480p.

#6 OFFLINE   ahself

ahself

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

I have had that same issue before, scrambled images being fed through a DVD recorder. The DVD recorder's DRM circuitry was preventing it. I bypassed the recorder and everything was fine. FWIW

I wondered if it might have had something to do with the DVD Player/Recorder. As mentioned, I was trying to use it similar to a RF Modulator.

However, I decided to try another (old) VCR in a similar manner and it worked!!! I ran the composite cables into it and used its RF Out to run coax to the diplexer...related to that, I still used the diplexer set up I mentioned above. I can now watch TV in the other room controlling the HR20 with the remote in RF mode. :hurah:

Thanks for all the input.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...