Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Owners: Get Mad About 'Junk TV'

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

I'm with you on this. Driving cars does not make one an athlete.

What about the pit crew? Could you and three other guys change 4 tires, put in two 11 gallon cans of fuel, clean the windshield and make adjustments in under 15 seconds? If not, shut the hell up! Anyone who doesn't believe these drivers and pit crews are athletes needs serious mental help. Why don't you go drive 400-600 miles in 90+ degree temps at 180 MPH in poor physical condition and see how well you hold up. As for the intelligence, can you do the complex calculations it takes to determine fuel mileage in any situation, at various track condition to the .000001 of a mile, do you know what adjustments to make, have you even built you own engine, have you ever even changed you own oil?

Just because NASCAR drivers aren’t like baseball players and aren’t hopped up on steroids, just because they’re not like NFL players and beat their wives and girlfriends and just because they aren’t like basketball players and are involved in street gangs, doesn’t mean NASCAR drivers aren’t athletes.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Steve, I always enjoy your writings (rantings?), even when we diagree. :goodjob:
You're a bit young to be characterized as a curmudgeon quite yet, but with your
ascerbic wit and razor-sharp writing style, you're well on your way to a career as
a writer, columnist or media critic. Keep up the good work!

No, I've never changed my own oil - I've always had people to do that for me but,
on the other hand, I've never asserted to be an athlete either, although I once
drove straight through from White Plains to St. Marys, GA, stopping only to refuel,
and I wasn't wearing astronaut diapers either. :D

Regards to Mom. :hi:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#23 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

Likewise. :) Hey, I hate NASCAR now, but I have to defend what I've been following since I was 4 years old :)

, you're well on your way to a career as
a writer, columnist or media critic. Keep up the good work!

Thanks but I'd prefer being an IT guy or a home theater tech. You’d make a better writer :D
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Go ahead, make 1000 turns and 5000 shifts in 100+ degree heat at speeds ranging from hairpin turns at 40MPH to chicanes at 175MPH, pulling 3-5 lateral G's with no air conditioning and IN A FIRESUIT for 2 1/2 hours.

See how long you last.
[ok, I'm using a road course to make a bigger point, but still]

#25 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, Nick, for the kind words. As to the athlete comments, Steve and djong are dead on the money. You have to be in splendid physical condition to endure the "left turn, drive like hell, brake, left turn" of motor racing. As to the "astronaut diapers", I wouldn't be to surprised if it were true. After all, these guys have to sit in their driver's seat for up to five hours without getting out.
Temperatures of up to 170 degrees inside the car are not uncommon. The drivers get a chance to get rehydrated a bit during their pit stops. The stress level is incredibly high -- try driving at speeds of up to 200 mph at a distance of a few feet from cars surrounding you for up to five hours (as in the Coke 600).
This all takes a huge amount of stamina. To be sure, some drivers look like they are out of shape. Take Tony Stewart -- he's pretty chunky looking, but when he wins a 400 or 500 mile race, he still has the capability to climb the chain link fence to the top of the starter's stand while still wearing his firesuit, helmet and driving boots.

I also have to confess that I once had a kind of negative view of motorsports. That all changed once I saw a race in person. It's a tremendously exciting experience.

I grew up in Chicago, during the time of radio announcers Bob Elson (White Sox) and Bert Wilson (Chicago Cubs) - I still remember Wilson saying,"I don't care who wins, as long as it's the Cubs". Being a "southsider", I was a White Sox fan. Over the years, I've attended home games of the Cubs, White Sox, Mets and Washington Senators, and more recently, the minor league Charlotte Knights. Being at the games is far more satisfying than watching them on television. On TV, to me, they are stil very boring. Not so with football, basketball or soccer.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#26 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

OK, youse guys! All good combackers, and point(s) taken. Thanks fer letin me hav a few yucks wit ya. :P

In all truthfulness, I have varying levels of respect for athletes*, depending, even wrestlers and
race car drivers. But I draw the line at speed eating -- that is just disgusting! :barf:
*...even Mr. Barry (753 and holding) Bonds*

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Thanks, Nick, for the kind words. As to the athlete comments, Steve and djong are dead on the money. You have to be in splendid physical condition to endure the "left turn, drive like hell, brake, left turn" of motor racing. As to the "astronaut diapers", I wouldn't be to surprised if it were true. After all, these guys have to sit in their driver's seat for up to five hours without getting out.
Temperatures of up to 170 degrees inside the car are not uncommon. The drivers get a chance to get rehydrated a bit during their pit stops. The stress level is incredibly high -- try driving at speeds of up to 200 mph at a distance of a few feet from cars surrounding you for up to five hours (as in the Coke 600).
This all takes a huge amount of stamina. To be sure, some drivers look like they are out of shape. Take Tony Stewart -- he's pretty chunky looking, but when he wins a 400 or 500 mile race, he still has the capability to climb the chain link fence to the top of the starter's stand while still wearing his firesuit, helmet and driving boots.

I also have to confess that I once had a kind of negative view of motorsports. That all changed once I saw a race in person. It's a tremendously exciting experience.

I grew up in Chicago, during the time of radio announcers Bob Elson (White Sox) and Bert Wilson (Chicago Cubs) - I still remember Wilson saying,"I don't care who wins, as long as it's the Cubs". Being a "southsider", I was a White Sox fan. Over the years, I've attended home games of the Cubs, White Sox, Mets and Washington Senators, and more recently, the minor league Charlotte Knights. Being at the games is far more satisfying than watching them on television. On TV, to me, they are stil very boring. Not so with football, basketball or soccer.

I drove a car at California Speedway for 10 laps...it was a bit of a chore physically I must say. I believe I had it at 142mph which was the governor on the car. It wears you out and that was without 42 other guys driving around me at the same time.

I'm a diehard baseball and racing fan, both are athletes in my mind. I could just as easily argue that a lot of baseball players only have to run 270 feet (stretching out a triple), get to sit in the dugout 2 hours each game, etc, etc. It's all in what people want to see.

#28 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

There's a difference between extreme physical conditions and being athletic. A firefighter is somebody who puts his life on the line, enduring extreme heat and sometimes for hours at a time. Their conditions far outweigh what a race-car driver experiences. While I admire each and every one of them, it does not make them athletes.

#29 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:02 AM

Seeing that this thread has already been thread-jacked, few comments:

It's hilarious to read categorical statements like "race car drivers cannot be considered athletes" when at one point in time the highest paid athlete on the face of this planet was exactly that - a race car driver (Michael Schumacher). And you couldn't possibly tell me with a straight face that this guy (or other race car drivers) aren't athletes. This is all considering the serious athletic training they have to go through, have to face serious dehydration and lose up to 10 pounds of body weight over a period of 2 hours, and so on.

As for other comments about dullness of "take a left turn" car racing in an oval: Unfortunately I completely agree with them, but the people making those comments seem to be suffering from a condition known as over-exposure to NASCAR's stock-car racing. Unlike what mainstream sports would like you to believe, NASCAR isn't the be-all and end-all of automobile racing. You may want to give a try to the alternate universe of open wheel car racing on road courses, and the king of that category Formula-1. It's possible your opinion may still remain identically denigrating, maybe it won't. At least you would have given it a try.

Unlike suffering from NASCAR's "turn-left" boredom, you would be exposed to an alternate universe of Formula-1 where technology rules supreme (everything about F-1 cars is cutting-edge space age technology, those things are marvels of technology), the audience is a lot bigger and international. If not Formula-1, you may want to give a try to its poorer cousin Champ Car racing.

This is just a very short, introductory comment. Don't want to bore with too many details in a post of that nature. If interested, you may want to do preliminary research on Formula-1 and you may be surprised with what you find. Again, not trying to proselytize or anything like that. Just adding yet another parameter to the discussion. If you like it, you like it. If you still don't like it, all the same.

#30 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:53 AM

Well said, Chandu. I may bear some responsibility for hi-jacking my own thread.

While I may rail about certain sports, while channel-surfing (I have cable), during
one of my all-to-frequent sleepless nights recently, I found myself inexplicably
pausing on SpeedVision to watch drag racing at three in the morning, a sport of
which I never quite saw the point. Nonetheless, considering the alternatives of
easy money-making opportunities, weight-loss miracles and an endless array
of abdominal toning devices, it was the lesser-evil choice for me on that night.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#31 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

While I would prefer more prime time HD, I can understand that all the networks care about is ratings and cost-efficiency. As long as folks settle for game and reality shows in SD, I can't blame the networks for fobbing it on them. I've got full-time HD channels to fall back on.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...