Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Local HD in 2 weeks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cwt137

cwt137

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hello,

I have a problem. My local HD channels went from being normal to not avaliable in about two weeks. At first, my local HD channels would have a rain fade like affect only at night, then fine in the day time. Then, the channels went totally out and I get the 'searching for signal on sat' msg. I then checked the sat. signal strength and I was getting in the low 30s when the stations went out (I guess I need a signal stronger than the 30s to see a picture). Now when I check the sat signal strength, I get 0. I went from having a signal good enough to watch local channels in HD to having 0 signal in about 2 weeks.

After I lost the channels, I went outside and tried to turn my dish a little bit to see if it was loose and it wasn't. I also unplugged the power on my hr20 and plugged it back in. This didn't help either. What do you guys think it is?

Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Teacherman

Teacherman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

Try tightening all the cable connections from the lnbs to the multiswitch if you have one, I had the same problem twice. The first time I paid D* to send out a tech and he tightened the connections at the multiswitch. The second time around I checked the switch and then took the lnbs off the dish and thats where the connections were loose. Haven't had any trouble since.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

It sounds more like a dish alignment issue, but bad cables, or bad dish [LNB] could cause it.
I'd be calling D* and have them fix it. If it's been less than 90 days from your last install/service call, it's free.

BTW: your locals should be coming in at 95+%.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   cwt137

cwt137

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

Ok, I just disconnected all of the wires from the sat to my dvr, and re-connected them and made sure the connections were tight. No luck. I think the lbn and the multiswitch are one device, right? There were 4 outputs on the lbn. Only 2 are connected to my dvr. I got the hr20 the first month it came out so I guess I don't have the warranty. How much did it cost you guys for the installer to come out?

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

Just to be clear, you double checked all the connectors between the dish and your boxes? It could be loose connections anywhere between the cabling at teh LNB, to your receiver(s).

#6 OFFLINE   cwt137

cwt137

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

Ok, I fixed it. The dish was a little bit off. I adusted the fine tune. I gave the tilt thing called 'factory preset', 4-5 turns of the wrench and my local HD channels came back. Now I'm getting like 70 on the signal meter. The problem was the bolts for the tilt were not tightened and the tilt was only held in place by the 'factory preset' thing. I guess it has been slipping ever since October when I got the dish. I made sure all the bolts on the sat were tight.

BTW, do not trust the angles and stuff the box tells you. They are way off.

When I got the local hd channels back, I think some other sats went down in signal strength. But I still get all the channels I did before so I'm ok. I rember there was a video guide that showed how to point a dish. Is that still arround?

Thanks for your help guys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...