Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Hitch in the Giddy-up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

I seem to be having some issues with my newly installed HR20…When I hit the 6 second slip back button or the 30 second skip button, there is a momentary video freeze before it completes its task. I know this isn’t how this is supposed to work because I have another HR20 that works correctly.

My question is…Is it possible that I have an incomplete software download?

Would a future software upgrade correct the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

I seem to be having some issues with my newly installed HR20…When I hit the 6 second slip back button or the 30 second skip button, there is a momentary video freeze before it completes its task. I know this isn’t how this is supposed to work because I have another HR20 that works correctly.

My question is…Is it possible that I have an incomplete software download?

Would a future software upgrade correct the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What software version are you on? It's unlikely you would get a partial software version and still work.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Very doubtful you have an error in the software download. If there is an error before it installs, it redownloads that part so the checksum matches [or doesn't install].
This is very much like updating your PC BIOS, if done wrong, you are dead [bricked] and can't go back. [Not a good thing].
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

What software version are you on? It's unlikely you would get a partial software version and still work.

0x168

Ironically, the installer didn't hit the mark using 0,2,4,6,8 the first time so he hit the RBR button as it entered guided setup sequence & tried again. He was successful the second time only to have the download freeze @ 90%. He claims the box reset itself at this point & it did finally complete the download.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

kaa1954, welcome to the forum!!:welcome_s

It's possible your DVR is still doing some early housekeeping. You might want to make sure you've given it a day or so since the last reboot before being sure that there's an issue.

Congrats on your new HR20 and look forward to hearing how it works out!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

0x168

Ironically, the installer didn't hit the mark using 0,2,4,6,8 the first time so he hit the RBR button as it entered guided setup sequence & tried again. He was successful the second time only to have the download freeze @ 90%. He claims the box reset itself at this point & it did finally complete the download.

90% is where it does the checksum & 97% is where it starts to install. Both of these can take some time [long pauses].
I doubt it "reset itself" or it would have needed to press the 0 2 4 6 8 again to download the software [again].
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

90% is where it does the checksum & 97% is where it starts to install. Both of these can take some time [long pauses].
I doubt it "reset itself" or it would have needed to press the 0 2 4 6 8 again to download the software [again].

At 90% (1st try) the screen went black for several seconds & the blue ring was not lit. I think I saw him hit "Power"(not sure though) at this point but he didn't initiate 02468.
The unit then succesfully completed 0 thru 100% of software download.

#8 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

kaa1954, welcome to the forum!!:welcome_s

It's possible your DVR is still doing some early housekeeping. You might want to make sure you've given it a day or so since the last reboot before being sure that there's an issue.

Congrats on your new HR20 and look forward to hearing how it works out!

It hasn't been quite 24 hours yet but close...Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

OK I think this issue is among the ones being discussed in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=92534

The MPEG4 trickplay smoothness issues seem most likely the culprit here since I am only experiencing these problems while using my local MPEG 4 locals.

For now, thanks to all who responded!

spam firewall