Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Recorded Programs after Reset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pv66298

pv66298

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

My recently upgraded HD-DVR froze while searching for an OTA signal and I was unable to do anything. I finally hit the red reset button under the lower right panel (as I have done in the past successfully when a bug hits). The unit went dead for longer than normal (it seemed) and when it finally returned and went through its initialization, I received a message that my interface had automatically been upgraded. I thought this was strange since that had taken place already, but it didn't immediately concern me. After I was able to return to full functionality, I discovered that my playlist was empty (~ 20 hours of both SD and HD content previously recorded was just flat gone!), my custom channel listing was no more, my to-do list of future program requests was gone and any other customizations that I had done were gone. What happened and do I have ANY recourse to get my programs back or any reason to believe that this won't happen again sometime? The DVR is ALMOST infinitely better than my old VCR, but I never had recorded programs simply disappear from tape without warning. Since keeping programs around that were previously recorded is the single major purpose of a DVR, I consider this a SERIOUS bug! Any information or suggestions about the situation or resolutions would be helpful because DirecTV Tech Support had nothing to say about it and the tech even said that she had never heard of this before!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Sounds like that you may have a hardware failure (with the drive).
Which could have caused your original lockup...

When you power cycled the drive, it attempted to recover from the issues, but couldn't. It then in turn re-initilizes the drive...

Which would also explain why you got the notice about the upgraded GUI.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Would the automatic upgrade notice come from x17E being loaded? Were there any reports of x17E wiping Playlist during the CE process?

PV66298, which model HR20 do you have? -700 or -100? If -700 what software version do you have? x168 or x17E.

If the problem was a hardware/drive failure wouldn't the unit still exhibit they type of problem?
HR20-100
HR20-700
DTivos

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

Would the automatic upgrade notice come from x17E being loaded? Were there any reports of x17E wiping Playlist during the CE process?

PV66298, which model HR20 do you have? -700 or -100? If -700 what software version do you have? x168 or x17E.

If the problem was a hardware/drive failure wouldn't the unit still exhibit they type of problem?

The message is still in the code, so if the hard drive was re-initilized... what ever "flag" is set by the system (So you don't see the message again), would have also been re-set.

As for the 0x17E wiping playlist (which in this case here... was much more then that, since all SL's and favorites where lost as well)...

0x17E didn't go into CE, but the code base it was based off (The entire CE cycle). I don't recall a report of the entire drive being reinitilized.

If it is a physical issue with the harddrive/hardware error, yes... at some point it could occur again. But just like a bad sector on a drive, you don't know it is there until you hit it again.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...